Son of the Devil's Wench

Ruby Sheen

A wave of pain circulated as he collapsed on the wet concrete, a ruby sheen flooding the rain washed street as he lay, crumpled, on the ground.

"Boy, come home." It was a direct order, not a word Jared would say would get him out of going back to that hell hole, but he couldn't go back, not in the knowing that the voice that his Father was currently using meant that there was someone waiting at home, most likely drunk, ready to beat the shit out of him. "Father, I have to decline, for I do not have a reason to come home, and it is also a school day, I must attend my classes." There was silence on the line for moment, then a thundering roar. "Fine you Ungrateful bastard; Son of the Devil's Wench, that is your name! Son on the Devil's Wench!"

The beeping tone of the slammed receiver echoed through the empty room that Jared had taken the call in, the beeping, and the the soft sobbing of soft tears down white cheeks. "Son?" The woman secretary was back, her keen ears alerted by Jared sobbing. "Son, are you alright?" Stiffly Jared nodded, wiped his tears on the sleeve of his white shirt, and turned to face the puckered old woman.

The woman, Jared had noticed, was younger then she appeared, her light brown hair only just turning gray at the temples, and her soft brown eyes reminding him very must of a puppy's. Even her face was soft, like that mother that you always wanted, the lady that would have a tray of cookies ready for you when you got home from school, and the one that would patch your knees up when you fell. Jared realized that this woman was very very beautiful. "Yes, thank you Madam. I shall be getting back to my class now." The woman had blushed and covered her mouth with her hand as Jared bent at the waist, showing more respect in this silent gesture then most had with words. And Whether from embarrassment or pride Jared couldn't tell, but she batted away his statement. "There's no point in you going back to French, just hurry on over to Maths, I'll write Mr.Wallace a note to tell him what happened."

"Thank you again Madam." Jared whispered as the kind lady handed him the note and smiled. "Oh no need to call me madam, my name is Judy." Jared smiled balefully and nodded. "Well thank you so very much Judy, and I hope to see you again."

Jared padded through the empty halls of the school, his eyes dead set on the ugly pattern of the floor, his ears picking up snatches of conversation on the other side of the classroom doors that he passed. But his mind was whirring, his mind couldn't understand why just saying No to coming home, saying No to the high possibility of rape and more pain would send the man he called his father off like that.

Something also shone out to him, what his father had called him. It seemed so out of place seeing as his father had never called him anything but Boy since the day he was born. Jared himself had chosen his own name, just because his father had never chosen one. But for his father to shout out that...'title' was disconcerting.

Son of the Devil's Wench?
As in Lydia? Lydia was the Devil's Wench...which would make her Jared's...

Mother?