Son of the Devil's Wench

Risen and Fallen

Coughing, grating, wheezing, sobbing, great rivers of red...sorrow.

That was all that flowed from his mouth as he lay finished on the ground. But his mind was active, his mind was trying to figure out how this could have happened, how his world had risen and fallen in such a short time...


Father was already waiting for Jared, at the foot of the stairs, as he closed the front door and dropped his gaze to the floor. But the man didn't say anything to him as Jared dipped his head in a tight lipped bow then hurried past the brown haired man up the stairs and down the long hall to his room. It was a sigh of relief that passed through his lips as Jared locked his door and slumped against it, sliding to the floor, his black hair laying low over his eyes as he thought about what would happen now.

Jared had disobeyed a direct order today, an order that normally would have been obeyed immediately, but today Jared had finally showed his back bone even though it might have been his first and very last time. Normally if someone ever crossed Edward King they where birthed from a backwater river nine months later dead as a doornail. Had Jared gotten away with it? Had he managed to disobey the man he called his father and live to tell the tale?

Or was that what Edward King wanted him to think, was this really just another mind game, was Jared now, in fact, in more danger then he had ever been before? This thought sent Jared spinning, but what really could he do? His mind finally reasoned as Jared searched for ways of trying to figure out what was going to happen. What really could the sixteen year old boy do as he sat on his bedroom floor and thought about the fate that would, without any doubt, befall him.

The Answer. Nothing.

Jared could do nothing when it came to his father, there was no way he could do anything to change what he done, what he had said on the phone. It wasn't like he had a mother who could step in and try to talk Edward King out of it, it wasn't like there was anyone in his life that like that, someone like a mother that had power over the father's decisions...

'But wait.' His brain reasoned again, 'Didn't we think of someone today, only today, who might have that position?' His brain was right Jared conceived, they had thought of Lydia. They Jared and his mind had spit out the possibility of Lydia being their mother today when Father had bestowed the title of Son on the Devil's Wench upon them. So why should it's be true? Why should Jared just take the short walk down to the basement and ask her himself?

The worst Lydia could say was, 'No, sorry babe, I'm not your mother.' Which Jared almost knew she would mostly likely would say, but nothing was stopping him from doing it anyways.

So with that thought in mind Jared picked himself up, dusted off his black pants, and ventured out into the hallway, out into the hallway and on his way to the answered Jared thought he needed to know.