Bang! Bang! Guns Go Bang!

Reawakening

Emily

'I've been dreaming for what seems like an eternity. Recollections of old times sake; memories that make me wish that I wasn't born. I can't believe that I've survived through this... am-- am I still alive?'

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

'That sound... I can hear it. What is it?'

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

'I have to wake up... I have to open my eyes... where am I? What's that sound?'

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

I slowly opened my eyes, the brightness of the world hurt them. The world was white as fresh snow... and cold as it too. I could feel that my breathing was restricted, and my head was held in place. My heart beat was slowed, trying not to beat to hard, or too much. The room was empty from all that I could see... and was still stinging my skin with it's icy fingers. I looked to my right, and there stood a tall metal cane, bags of black liquid... and a small tube with water hung, dripping... dripping... dripping. I looked to my left, and a big box hovered over me... it made the beeping noises that had woke me. Next to it was a white box... and a glass cover over two white handles.

'Where am I? Why is everything so white? Am I in Heaven? Am I in some kind of Hell-- where am I?' I thought, blinking and squinting to get a sign of some sort. But I saw nothing but white walls, and a white curtain.

I lay there, thinking, staring at the ceiling, blinking... just wondering. Seconds, minutes, hours passed, and still no sign of life other than me, which was still too unsure to be 'life', really. I got my right hand to move my fingers in various and smoke-like patterns, trying to figure out where I was, and what these boxes and canes and bags and tubes were for... and why my heart beat was so slow. I closed my eyes, and took a deep breath, which wasn't all that deep, and listened to the cold air around me. I heard voices. The voices of men.

I let my eyes slide open sluggishly, 'My friends... my boyfriend... my brother... my father... Travis, Matt, Derek, Sonny, Ryan... Jason... Jason!' I remembered frantically. The gun, the bullet, the body.

'I shot my father....' I remembered more. The chair, the girl, the boy, the gun... the floor.

'Sonny was strapped to the chair... Lisa had a gun to his head! I hit the floor....' My eyes began to water as the images few behind them, tears running into hair.

'I saw strange people were touching me... they put a needle in my arm... and, the man with the gloves screamed something. There was a gurney, with a black bag on it... and ambulances... am I in a hospital?-- I'm still alive!' A man and a woman were staring at me when I was pulled from my mental state of unawareness. The man smiled, his dark skin in high contrast with his white lab coat and the surrounding room. The woman looked sad, like she knew too much.

"Ms. Emily, can you hear me?" I blinked, and he smiled a little more.

"You gave us quite a scare there! But you're stable and perfectly fine now," the man said. He was a doctor... Dr. Williams. The woman whispered something, and looked from me to the man. I blinked slowly.

"Yes, I uh... forgot to mention. You were stabbed, the hunting knife grazed one of the nerves in your spinal chord. You friends told us that they hadn't seen the knife until you had fallen to the ground; that's when they called nine-one-one. You lost a lot of blood and needed a transfusion, but other than that, you should have all your motor skills and thought process skills just as they were before!" I blinked slowly, frowning. I flexed my fingers needfully. The woman asked him if paper and a pencil were okay for communication, he nodded. I took the pencil and wrote slowly. I gave the woman a look, and she too the pad, glancing at it, then passing it to the doctor.

"Sonny?" I blinked twice very slowly.

"You mean Mr. Moore?" I blinked twice slightly faster. I tried to give a look to get across that I was worried beyond my own belief.

"He's perfectly fine. He was walking today with nothing more than a bruised nose and a few stitches. No scar tissue, nothing we couldn't fix with ease," he smiled. I felt a tear slip down my face, and a corner of my mouth twitch into a smile.

"However, a Mr. Phillips... er, Michael Phillips? He was shot in the leg and underwent surgery last night, he had a shattered shin," he said, with an added tone I couldn't identify. I looked at the nurse and she gave me the pad. I wrote slowly again. I blinked once, and she passed it again to Dr. Williams. I shuffled my fingers, and bent my elbow. It felt nice to move again.

"You will be able to walk as soon as possible, but I guess I should tell you... you've got very nice gentlemen waiting to see you, can they come in?" I blinked twice yet again before the door was opened by the woman, and my friends came in. Travis came in, then Matt, then Derek... I looked around to see that Sonny was nowhere. Then, a head of ruffled black hair reach around the door frame, stitched on his brow and cheek, and bruised across the bridge of his nose. I could feel the life spread to my fingers and toes, my legs and my arms.

"Emily...." he said, exasperated.

'Sonny!' I thought.

He walked to my side, and looped his fingers in mine, squeezing only slightly. I squeezed as tight as I could to show him that I was happy.

"I'll never let you get hurt again, not as long as I'm alive. I love you Emily... I love you so much," he sobbed quietly. I let his hand go, and pointed to pad in the woman's arms. She handed it and the pencil to me, I wrote as quickly as I could.

"You can't stop me from getting hurt, Sonny. It'll always happen. But you can stop me from being alone... you can stop me from being unloved. I love you," he read aloud. The guys 'aww'd', smiling down on me. I ripped the page off, and wrote again. Sonny turned to read it.

"So, when the hell do I get out of here?" Everyone in the room looked at the doctor.

"Tomorrow."