Sequel: Vermilion
Status: Finished, with sequal.

Dazed and Abused

12

They smelled familiar, a scent I remember distinctively in the back of my mind, and I had thought I’d been kidnapped by whatever had caused the disturbance on Bella’s graduation party night. However, I’m second guessing my assumption. Because this vampire smelled strangely familiar to…EMMET!!!!!!

“Hey, EMS?” I asked softly, not bothering trying to peal away the blind fold. It was obvious they didn’t want me to see a thing, and I wasn’t going to question them.

“Yeah, Elaine?”

“Where’s Jacob?” I could feel my heart just pulse in a way of longing for that stupid werewolf, I couldn’t help but question his where-abouts.

“I can’t say.”

“Why the fuck not?” I screeched loudly, only to have a slap of duct tape across my mouth, and then I understood. They were hiding me. But why? What the hell is going on? I reached to pull the blind fold away from my eyes, but someone’s strong hands, other then Ems, where there preventing me from doing so. Something bad happened.

Not before long I felt a clash of warmth against my skin as a screen door was slammed closed behind Em. I could smell the aroma, identifying this place as Jacob’s home. The pang in my heart grew immensely enough for tears that I just couldn’t control, slide down through the blind fold to fall onto my chest from my chin. Then I knew now…

**Several minutes before**

“Carlisle, she’s almost here.” Jacob whispered through his gritted teeth, the pain nearly unbearable. He could feel her coming as the throb in his heart became, ever so slightly, a dull thump that once he heard her breath would dissipate into nothingness.

“Jacob, you mustn’t fret.”

“Why in the hell not? I love her, hiding this from her is…is hard.” Jacob stole a glance from Mike, who’s arm had been bandaged from the elbow up. He gulped thinking of the terrible accident, seeing the stub that once had been her father’s arm. What would she think?

Oh god, and his leg too, she’d absolutely faint after seeing the blood that had dried from his previous lived wounds. This was Jacob’s poor attempt to protect her father from the coming attack of one of the vampire’s that ran away from the last little battle. They had successfully screwed her father over, it was…and forever will be, too late to save him.

**

Alice removed the blind fold from my eyes, and I gazed over the faces of Carlisle, Edward, Alice, Bella, and then to Jacob. His eyes were guilty, droopy and sad, and then I looked down…expecting Billy to be in the wheel chair.

Instead I was choking on my on breath as I fell to the floor besides my father, who’s face sparkled in the sunlight that came from the living room window. His eyes were blacker then usual, black with hunger, but he looked weak and hopeless as his left arm stubbed from out of his tee-shirt, and his right leg poked out from beneath the fabric of his jeans.

“How…the fuck?” The words came out hazy and hoarse, my throat clearly clogged, and even though it’s also an obvious paradox, from the mucus formed by access tears.

Jacob landed on his knees before me, his eyes pleading for forgiveness, and I felt his guilt in my heart heavy as a ton brick. I heard him say, “I’m sorry Elaine. I just couldn’t save him.”

“Stop it boy!” I heard my father scream at the top of his lungs, and I felt my own true fright shake me to my core. “It doesn’t matter, it will heal, I’m absolutely sure of it.”

His voice seethed in menace, the man we knew as Mike dead and withered. Death was before my eyes, and I was choosing not to embrace it, because I knew that there was no trace of that loving man behind the facade of vampire that his skin sparkled. Now we all know what this means, my father can’t live on the reservation anymore. What’s to happen to me?