Sequel: Vermilion
Status: Finished, with sequal.

Dazed and Abused

13

Couldn’t anyone explain to me what would happen to me, now that I was introduced to the man who died, the man I had once considered a father. Now I feel as if I have absolutely nothing to live for, that what I’d gone home for hugs, for love, was snatched from me because of the world I was shamefully dragged into. My own father was snatched from me, and into the grasp of immortality, to exist longer when I’d die in misery.

It was inevitable now that I’ve fallen into a deadly spiral downwards, and even Jacob couldn’t get the tears to quit falling. The presence of happiness was only a ghost in the mist that laid softly on the shore, and I watched as the sun tore away from the clouds above our heads, leaving the mist to evaporate into nothingness. Jacob refused to speak, so I had no way to let the angry sob escape my lips. They were sealed shut by his determination of silence.

My heart was throbbing in grief, because I had finally come to terms with everything that existed around me. Vampires, werewolves, immortality, I had even come to terms to except the fact that there were such things above the human race. More powerful, quicker, more intellectual because they had the time and strength to learn and to do whatever they were willing.

I was beginning to absolutely despise it. I envied Jacob’s speed, how quickly he could heal. I envied Alice’s beauty and the sheer grace of her family. It was turning me bitter by the seconds, and my thoughts could only linger on their faces. What would Bella become when she was finally turned?

**

“Mike, you must control your thirst!” Carlisle screamed at the absolute loudest his vocal chords could produced. They were all holding him down as he thrashed around, the stubs of his arm and leg did not hinder the newborn as they had all hoped. In fact, it gave him such a wrath that gave Mike enough strength to throw Alice, Emmet, and everyone else aside.

He was out the door in seconds, following the distant trail of Elaine’s scent.

**

“Elaine, the sun is gone, its going to get cold soon.” Jacob spoke softly into my ear as his warm hand grasped my forearm. He attempted to take me up to his home, but I refused to leave the beach. I wanted to watch the day burn away into an ash filled night. He wrapped his big arms around my torso and picked me up, I was obviously not given a choice now that he was kidnapping me.

Before he had carried me successfully into his father’s home, I could have a final gaze upon the iridescent ripples of the water, bloodied with yellow tainted with red. I felt a strange pull in my heart that was different from the throb I felt when Jacob was away, no, this kind of pull felt as if my heart was sinking further in my stomach from fear. That fear I didn’t know was there was now as tangible as the grass, and I could taste the metallic taste. Almost like blood, as if I had bitten my cheek on accident.

But Jacob seemed rather intent on keeping quiet as he set me down in the living room and disappearing into the hallway, and so I couldn’t speak the fear that was no longer translucent to my consciousness. I was starting to feel the beginning of another anxiety attack.

So I tip-toed into the kitchen, quickly and quietly grabbing a clear plastic cup from the cupboard above the sink and filled it full with Quileute Res. water. I slowly sipped down what I’d think to be the remedy for the gradual abdominal pains and soon to be a gauntly looking complexion, but it should be obvious by now that would not happen.

“Elaine? You okay?” I heard Jacob whispered as he slowly crept up behind me, his arms snaking sneakily around my waist and he hugged me from behind. I felt my lips release themselves, ready to speak the words itching for him to hear. But I felt numb everywhere else besides my abdomen and the pain was unbearable, I could feel myself slipping into a deep cold sweat.

“Babe, your shaking…”

“Something’s wrong Jacob…Very wrong.” I whimpered as I put the glass carefully into the sink without spilling the remaining water, and turned to wrap my arms around his neck.

Two years ago I began to doubt that I’d ever feel this kind of emotion again, that I’d allow myself to be close to him after all that had happened and I never fathomed the mere existence of our relationship, hell even our friendship. But here I was hugging on Jacob as if my life depended on it, and he the same, and just maybe…maybe my life really did depend on him.

Mike was a newborn after all…