Sequel: Vermilion
Status: Finished, with sequal.

Dazed and Abused

15

Why?

Hadn’t I asked the question too much already? Yet every variable that came with that question was still left unanswered, and I couldn’t place that question anywhere else but my present life. Why not then? Why not in the future? That doesn’t make any sense at all, but what does is; Why here? Why now? And why did Jacob fail to protect me?

Well, he didn’t really fail but the bastard did a very horrible job in keeping me in check, especially since we had almost given up our virtue for another, something I trusted him for. I was, yet again, blaming Jacob for everything that had previously happened. Most shamefully, as I was staring blankly into the bonfire that was turning the empty remains of my father into ash, I was blaming Jacob.

It was, after all, his fault. Was I the only one who remember when he said he was sorry that he couldn’t save Mike in time?

“It was for the better, Elaine.” I heard Carlisle speak as his hand caressed my shoulder gently, his thumb rubbing my shoulder blade for comfort. I closed my eyes in disbelief, awaiting for things to turn backwards just so that, with the memory of all these events, I could change everything.

Jacob entangled his warm fingers in mine, but I quickly pulled away as I heard Sam clear his throat, “The treaty will not be broken any longer. For the safety of others the Cullen’s are not allowed to cross the boarder anymore. I suggest you say good bye to your friends, Elaine.”

I didn’t appreciate how he spat those words to me, and I especially didn’t appreciate the cold look on his face as he did. However, I shrugged off the bitterness behind his tone and turned to Alice, who smiled sympathetically as she embraced me in a very cold, but somehow warming hug.

“I’m so sorry, Elaine.” She cooed softly, “If you ever forgive us, will you please visit?”

“Sure.” I croaked, letting the line of Cullen’s disappear as they each slowly hug me with sympathy. It appeared as though no body seemed to truly understand what I was feeling right now, that my chest had literally been ripped opened. Once again. I had lost my mother, and now my father.

Oh, the irony.

“Will you be okay, Elaine?” Edward asked, and what I could read from the expression on his usually so thoughtful and stone hard face was concern. He knew my past and what I’d done to rid myself of the pain, and sorry Edward, but I just can’t be certain that I will be…I can’t. He hugged me tighter then anybody here and spoke, “Try harder this time…”

Jacob pat Edward on the back, letting him know that he was getting a bit to comfortable with me. But his embrace was much comforting then any body else’s had been, as if he had showed me some empathy for once, instead of the same confused feeling of concern. With that thought heavy in my mind I watched all my vampire friends silently and quickly make their way into the congested forest back home, where they belong.

I let a sigh escape my lungs, and without delay the tears were quick. As the clouds clapped with entertainment, Jacob swiftly took me in his arms, forgetting that I was in no position for happy couple relationship time. I’d much rather freeze my other cheek then feel what I’m feeling now.

Heartbreak. Loss. The normal findings in an average teenage girl’s heart, however the majority will raise their hands at the mention of a boy being the cause of this. I will raise my hand as well with a shit load of tears running down my face, accepting that this was a boy who did this to me, but none of those girls who would sit beside me with their arms held high would know that that boy was my father.

**

“I’m very worried about Elaine.” Edward spoke to Carlisle as they slowed softly behind the rest of their family, Carlisle giving his son a skeptical look.

“Why?”

“She’s lost her father, and I know she blames Jacob. Her mind is filled with those thoughts. This is going to cause a terrible riff in-between the imprinter and the imprintee.” Edward explained as his jumped over plants that were overgrown at the base of the moss covered trees.

“That would certainly cause a disturbance, her nature is to be very aggressive and vain. I suppose I fear as well that her expression of her father’s death will, no doubt, harm everyone but herself. I would like to speak to Jacob about this, but unfortunately under Sam’s command, there is no way to possibly warn him and save Elaine from herself. Not unless he can feel it in his own heart, her pain.” Carlisle whispered softly as they came into the ear of Bella, who looked rather distraught, possibly from finding the Cullen home empty with an open door.

Edward was by her side in less then a second, not letting the troubles that faced Elaine out of his mind. Everyone had reason to be worried. Absolutely everyone.