Sequel: Vermilion
Status: Finished, with sequal.

Dazed and Abused

16

“How the fuck can you say that Jacob without feeling stupid?” I shouted as loud as possible, my throat burning with every word I screamed. The tears had almost blurred my vision blind as my sad and lonely heart built anger above the hurt.

“I’m just trying to help, Elaine!” He shouted back at me, but it was too late. He had failed once again to comply with what I had asked. Don’t help. Don’t speak, just be there for me to hold onto as my world just crashed and burned. But no, he had to open his stupid mouth to rip that thread I was trying to stitch my heart together with. How depressing…

The slamming of the screen door was not that effective as I had hoped for when I stomped away, and leaving Jacob to turn through his thoughts. I wanted him to run after me, he was faster, but then maybe he’d give me some time before using his quick werewolf powers to try and mend what he had completely ruined.

It was two years all over again. I couldn’t have that.

For the first time in what felt like years, but only a couple days, I opened my creamy yellow car after I had untaped the car key from under the hood. Jacob took my keys from me. Letting the engine explode to life I set on a journey with at least five bucks in my pocket, to find myself a can of compressed air.

With the hole in my heart burning like a piece of paper that was set a flame with a cigarette lighter, I pulled out of the rocky and dead leaved clad driveway onto the two lane road, awaiting to find the small convenient store only but two miles away. Jacob would have caught up with me by now, he must have, but with a quick glance into the trees I would not be able to find the red fur he bore.

I breathed in through my nose, the sound of boogers and snot not relieving me one bit, but opening that hole just as quickly as my father seemed to burn. I could still see the white smoke from the right mirror of my car, not caring any longer what I was about to do. If history was surely repeating itself, then why don’t I just help it along?

**

“Guys!” Alice screamed as she gracefully landed below the stairs of the Cullen whom, gathering them all into the living room. “I could see her! Elaine! She-she’s going to do it again!”

With that, Edward was out the front door to brief Bella, who is the only one able to reach the Quileute pack.

**

Pulling into the parking lot of the convenient store I ripped the car into park and turned the keys in the ignition, my yellow baby dying slowly as I threw open the door and closed it shut, the keys clutched tightly in my hand. I could feel them dig into my skin as I made my way quickly into the store, finding myself by the aerosols much more swiftly then I had time to embrace.

I knew that buying what was going to kill me and stalling time was only going to make it much easier for them to stop me, but something told that all this would be over before they could save my dying heart. All I could hope for as I paid with cash, the can of compressed air, would be that, despite the unconditional love that sadly bonded Jacob and I, he would move on. This was, after all, a stupid thing for me to do and nothing close to clever, but I was prepared to kill off the last of my family line. I don’t deserve to be alive.

Turning on the engine once again, I almost thought I could see, from the corner of my eye, the whole pack standing in the woods. But as I turned my head to clearer my vision I saw nothing but the blackening of the night in the woods, and the fog that began to build up. It would be dangerous to drive, but safety should be the last thing on my mind right now.

**

“What are you doing here, Bella?” Jacob asked as he opened the screen door of his father’s home, but he could already guess the small amount of scenarios of her answer as the solemn look on her face nearly gave it away.

“Alice had a vision…” But she couldn’t finish he heart clenched in his chest and he buckled over in pain, finding the answer on the tip of his tongue.

“Elaine…”

**

Screaming, lights on the ceiling. Doctor Cullen’s face. The burning in my mouth the refused to subside. I did it again, and I felt only the shame in my heart as the poison, the freezing poison, webbed its way through my veins. Jacob. He has to hate me now. I’ll be living through this, only if the poison doesn’t stop my beating heart first.

Someone was holding on to my hand tightly, the warmth was unbelievable. It has to be him, but I can’t tell now that my vision was blurred with tears, I was in pain. My wrists, my thighs, my stomach. Every where I could feel myself bleed. Oh my God the burning in my mouth, my throat, I could feel it in my esophagus now.

“Elaine…Elaine…Elaine.” Over and over somebody was whispering my name. In question? Were they asking if I was alright?

I can’t tell anymore, everything went black…I…can’t…breathe.