Sequel: Vermilion
Status: Finished, with sequal.

Dazed and Abused

6

I held on tight, as tight as my small fist could, to the patches of dark, red clayed fur that encased his body. I was certain that no other creature could stride like he could, just zig-zagging around the trees as if this was one big obstacle course and he was having the time of his life. His tongue flopped around the side of his face like a dog’s would with it’s head out the window, just letting it have a ride with the wind. It was really weird.

Jacob then began to slow down his pace, and his paws sharply hit the ground, flinging me forward.

“You stupid…dog.” I mumbled as I stood and brushed myself off, yes, that hurt.

But I turned around and didn’t see the overly large wolf, but a half naked Jacob with his arms crossed. There was question and patience in his face, and those two made me extremely curious as to what was on his mind. As complex as he was, would I be able to handle anymore from what I’ve been told?

The trees whispered warnings to aid me as he made the space between us just disappear, the branches of the evergreens just swaying in recognition and worry. I felt his arms capture but I closed my eyes so I could see nothing, and imagine that I would not be in the predicament, that I’d still be angry and the tugging in my heart would wash away. I was resisting the pull, like someone would resist the tide sliding closer to me over the beach. To smother me.

That’s all I ever wanted, but as his arms finally close tightly around my waist I feel I had no choice but to push my hands into his chest to get him away from me. I didn’t want this, because I couldn’t want it.

“Elaine…what’s wrong?”

“Jacob…I just can’t.” He finally let me go and I panted as I leaned against a tree, leaning my head against it, trying to see the stars through the branches. But my head was spinning, I couldn’t see anything.

“Elaine…answer me, please.”

“I can’t do this, Jacob.”

“What are you talking about?”

I straightened up, breathed in deeply, and prepared myself for reliving what was eating me away inside, reliving what had sent my mother to her death.

“Do you know what killed my mother, Jacob?” I asked him, looking up at him through the curtains of my dark hair.

“I thought she committed suicide.”

“She did, but she had no other choice. It was…September I do believe, a month before you told me your feelings for Bella…” I gulped, letting the memories I repressed come to me in a silky smooth line. “My mother was having an affair with her step-brother, who had gotten her pregnant. She was getting fatter and fatter and I knew what was going on, it had been for years because he…”

The sobs came in uncontrollable falls of water that just dumped every from my tear ducks. It was then I saw that man’s face shine like he did in my nightmare’s with his pale blue eyes and the sparkling blonde hair.

“Just tell me.”

“Do not come any closer.” I managed to choke out before I continued, sliding down the tree as I did so before I sat on the damp and cold ground, “He use to touch me, would tell me I was prettier then my mother when she was younger. And she hated me because he was paying more attention to me then he was to her, and she use to burn me with her cigarettes every chance she got to punish me.

“When she got pregnant my father became aware of everything, and had that man put in the hospital, he was bleeding so much…so then my mother just became depressed because she was in love with her step-brother. And he was in critical condition. She couldn’t live without him, but she never divorced my dad. She thought she could have them both.” I just let myself go after that, screaming out until I felt my throat burn like I had lit it a fire, and I imagined in my mind burning the flesh that was saturated with desire. Whether I lived or died, I could never tell this story again for the sake of any other being.

**

Bella and Alice heard the scream through the trees, Alice’s hand midway from knocking on the door. It had slowed to almost above a whisper before the echo sounded off the cliffs and bounced off the water not far from Elaine’s house. Alice gave Bella a worried look, unsure of what could have made that scream occur, but certainly curious enough that she quickly set the bags down and zipped into the forest.

Alice new it was Elaine. The scream was not far from hers, and she’s heard it before. The eerie screech straight from the horror movie, too high pitched to be real, too loud that it made Alice want to puke through her nose from the twisting feeling that had attacked her stomach. She felt that?

**

“I never knew his name…” I whispered weakly before I finally collapsed in his arms, the warmth of his body keeping the nights bitter judgment from my lack of self control, trying to nip and punish me. And the mere thought of pushing away from his embrace seemed impassive and absolutely ridiculous, and I was ridiculing myself for it.

“See, there’s nothing wrong with this picture.” Jacob whispered softly into my ear as his hand softly placed itself at the small of my back, bringing me closer to him as he brought us to stand.

“No bodies taking a picture, dumbass.” I cursed numbly and I heard him chuckle. Even though I refused to look him in the eyes, I knew there was a broad smile, from ear to ear, on his face. He felt as if it was an invitation, that my smart ass comeback was anything of the sort that could be taken lightly. But I was far from accepting any of this. Still, I was keeping my foot down, despite the urge to let loose the stubborn demeanor go.

Silence.

I couldn’t describe exactly what it felt like, or what I heard but I simply knew all it was was silence. He wasn’t breathing, I was keeping it slow, and after a couple seconds of the empty sound a figure immerged from behind the trees.