Sequel: Vermilion
Status: Finished, with sequal.

Dazed and Abused

8

There was no peace in his face, just pain as evidence of the nights before. His shirt was off, revealing his stomach, the stitches still present above the skin. Jacob had yet to heal, had yet to feel better, and was coming in and out of consciousness as his loss of blood failed him. Not completely, thankfully.

I’d been stuck at Billy’s house for three days now, fussing over the supernatural shit that caused my wall to suddenly break down. Everyone else seemed please I was able to embrace Jacob’s unconditional, and maybe replace my old feelings of hatred with the love I once felt for him. But I was still going to fight to prevent ever actually falling back in love with him.

The night seeped in through the currents, the once full lit bedroom now dim from the 40 watt bulb in the lamp beside Jacob’s bed. I’d been laying on the floor for about two hours since Carlisle came to check on Jacob again, seemingly disappointed by the lack of improvement in Jacob’s health. Edward suspects that the vampire was able to slip venom into Jacob’s veins, but I refused to hear that. I’ve lost my best friend once, and despite what he’d done to me, I can’t bear thinking about what would happen if he didn’t wake up anytime soon.

“Elaine, you seriously need to leave this room.” Embry spoke as he came in, sitting cross-legged beside me. I watched his face go from worried, to even more concerned as he watched his motionless friend. Jacob stirred, and I sat up quickly. His eyes never opened.

Filled with disappointment, I grunted and laid back down again, ignoring Embry as he poked my shoulder.

“It’s unhealthy to fret over him. Your a mole.”

“Just shut the fuck up, I’m not leaving until he successfully opens his goddamn eyes for more then a fucking second.” I spoke harshly as I turned on my side, looking into the deep abyss under Jacob’s bed. This wasn’t a safe place for my nose, hell even my body to be. Horrible images of things I’d usually laugh at, things about what could be underneath his bed, had filled my worried mind. I easily pushed them away after I heard the click of Jacob’s door shut, Embry left me in silence.

**

Bella’s gaze drifted to the dirty carpet of Billy Black’s living room, sighing as she did so. Edward held her hand carefully, tense from the apparent raunchy smell of werewolves. Embry came back empty handed, disappointment was evident of his failure in his face.

“She won’t leave.”

Mike shook his head, filled with anger.

“I’ve had enough of that boy toying with my daughter’s feelings!” Mike yelled loudly as he ran a hand through his greasy black hair.

“He’ll come around.” Edward spoke calmly, “He’s fighting it.”

“What’s he thinking?” Embry asked as he sat on the chair beside Billy, who sat zoning in his wheel chair.

“About all of us. Elaine hasn’t crossed his mind.”

“What?”

“Why would he think of someone who he knew was already there with him, he can feel her there.” Edward answered, but silenced thereafter. He didn’t dare speak anymore of what he’d seen plaguing Jacob’s mind, nor did he wish to express what was running through Elaine’s distraught and suicidal thoughts. He should tell them, he knew it was in her best interest that they fought to get her away from Jacob as he recovered. But they weren’t fighting hard enough.