Sequel: Vermilion
Status: Finished, with sequal.

Dazed and Abused

9

I had collapsed underneath my knees, falling the floor soundlessly, everything below my waist becoming paralyzed. My chest was aching, it hadn’t given me a warning, and it thumped and pounded with the rhythm of the rain against the window. My head was heavy, beads of diamond sweat caked my forehead and against my neck, a chill spreading throughout my body. I felt the tremor in my body, weakening my limbs as I curled my body to the floor.

I could feel the venom that had once been in his veins, and the imaginary pain flowing through mine. I’d look up at the ceiling, catching glimpses of what he’d seen through his eyes as my stomach twisted and churned inside me. Jacob’s subconscious mind was reliving that day all over again, and for some reason, I was to. It was impossible to shove those images aside.

All in all it was hopeless to think, that since he’d been out for days, he’d ever truly get better. There was venom, and it slowed the healing down and knocked him out. Carlisle had to clean his blood. After that, I was certain I could stomach the KFC frying process for their chickens. It was horrifying.

While Jacob’s mind lived in horror, I faced his nightmares along side with mine.

Bella appeared next to me, I hadn’t noticed her there before, but I must be so out of it that I can’t even tell what color of shirt she was wearing.

“You need to get out of here.”

“I can’t leave, Bella. I can’t leave him.” He was hurting, couldn’t she feel that in the air? Couldn’t she smell it like I could? Or was that just me? Was I the only one experiencing what he had? The only one feeling his fucking pain?

“He’s killing you, Elaine. We all know what your seeing, Edward can’t stand another day here without cringing or breaking down.” She explained to me, her eyes scanning the way Jacob’s body and my own twitched in unison.

“I can’t leave. I physical can’t leave the room.” I tried to speak, my body felt like deteriorating where I laid, as if I was seriously dying in this spot along side Jacob.

I could smell Carlisle as he entered the room, he observed my behavior, observed Jacob’s, and made his final diagnosis. “There’s still venom in his veins.”

**

Emmet carefully set me down upon Billy’s couch, the tears were leaking like a break in the dam down my face. I had already dampened his shirt, stained with the makeup that surprisingly hadn’t been wiped off. Carlisle ordered me to leave the room, ordered Emmet with a stern voice to get me out of there while he tried to fix Jacob. I’d seen so much, too much, to continue on with this.

I was ready to leave, but the pull in my heart wasn’t a pull if I tried, it was a sharp pain. Like I was leaving that valuable piece of me behind, telling me I’d regret leaving. The pull became more of a throb while I laid here, hopeless and I knew that, despite what I had previously felt for Jacob…it was unconditional.

I couldn’t feel anything but that throbbing, as the scene around me just slipped away to reveal my own beating heart drenched in venom, beating so fast as if to try and sweat off the venom penetrating the muscle. I was watching Jacob’s heart die, no, my own…no…our heart die. I was watching it in front of me, like one of those visions Alice had.

Someone was comforting me, whispering that everything would get better, that Carlisle would fix Jacob and things would get back to normal. But not if I was watching his heart slow and progressively the venom that was still in his veins take over one of two most important organs in his fucking body. Somebody fucking help him!