Midnight Runner

Chapter 11: Full Moon.

Last time I remembered it was 14 days before I would attend public school with Jake and the others but since some time was wasted I wonder how long we had left.

I sat on La Push beach pushing my feet into the sand as I had one song on repeat and for some odd reason I couldn’t get enough of it. Never Alone by the Barlow Girls that’s what it was and it had reminded me of Jake and how no matter what he had to go through he would be there. My head hurt just by being out in the light. “Ugh!” I groaned throwing my sleeveless hoodie over my head trying to shade my eyes. It was a rather cool but warm day, it was perfect weather to be alone. It had been two days since I went over to Jake’s or even seen him. I don’t know why but I was afraid to face him but even more so to have him look at me.

When I went back into the hospital yesterday the doctor said my heart disease had surprisingly had gotten to the point where I could do more activity. Was it because of Jacob? Was the doctor lying? Yet again I was confused about everything and anything. I wrapped my ear buds around my mp3 player as I sat it down and walked over to a huge cliff that hung over the water about 7 feet. I sat on the very edge where my feet dangled over the sharp rocks below while the sun started run behind thick white clouds above.

The wind picked up to where it pushed my hair to either sides of my face running chills down my spine. I leaned over looking down below me seeing the waves crash into the rocks that hit the pit of my stomach as well. A huge gust of wind blew right threw me almost sending me off the cliff until I regained my balance.

I had sat at the beach all day trying to work up the nerve trying to face him. But it didn’t work I just couldn’t and Uncle Mark was probably already on his way from work so there was no point now. I stood there on the green grass that was off the beach; I looked up to the sun that was getting ready to set. I sighed heavily still watching the orange, redish and yellowish sunset until I came out of a daze noticing that Uncle Mark was honking his horn while waving his hand back and forth. “Coming, coming.” I shook my head walking towards his car.

I climbed into the car buckling my seat belt, which looked broken. “So how was Jake?” He smiled towards me knowing that I liked him. “I didn’t see him.” I whispered looking away out the car window. “What, why?” He asked with a surprised voice. “Did you guys get into a fight?” He asked again without letting me answer the first question. “No, no it’s just for some reason I couldn’t work up the nerve to go see him today, that’s all.” I faced him for a second and then looked back out to the now darkened grey sky above. “Oh, ok if that’s all that it is.” Uncle Mark sighed in relief hoping and probably praying that Jacob and me would never get into a fight.

Uncle Mark put on some of his soothing country music that I usually couldn’t stand but today was a major exception. The whole ride back to the house I looked out the car window expecting something, I don’t know what it was but I was waiting. Mark pulled into the garage turning off the car and getting out. “So kiddo what would you like to eat for dinner tonight?” He walked over to my side helping me open the door. “Uh, salad sounds good.” I smiled weakly to him. “Ok, sounds good.” He smiled and walked inside before I did. I looked up to the sky. “Tonight’s the full moon.” I sighed shaking my head side from side. “I’ll be hungry alright.” I mumbled again before I walked into the front door.

Night. We sat at the dinning room table finishing our salads when I looked out the window and realized that it was getting dark and I had to lock myself up in my room before I did attack and kill someone. I got up quickly grabbing Mark’s and my salad and started to wash out the bowls. “Paige, is everything okay?” He looked at me while I turned around and smiled a fake smile. “Yah, just I want to hurry to I can go finish my story that I was typing for mom.” I smiled before I turned back around. When I got done I started to walk upstairs when Jacob had burst in. “Hey Uncle Mark.” Jacob said smiling to him and widening his eyes towards me. “Son, you know you don’t have to call me Uncle Mark.” He said laughing. “Nah, it’s fine.” Jacob smiled weirdly walking over to me. “I came over to help Paige.” He said nudging me trying to get me to help him out. “Oh yah, I called him to ask him to come over to help me with the story.” I said trying to act like it was all true. “Oh, ok have fun!” Mark said waving to us as Jacob pushed me up the stairs and into my room.

Jacob locked the door, the window and anything else he could find that would make an exit for me. “Jake is this really necessary?” I looked to him putting my hands on my hips. “Yes!” He yelled at me, which kind of gave me a shock. “Sorry I’m just really nervous.” He apologized shaking his head. “You, your nervous Jacob Black I’m the one who has to go threw this!” I yelled back at him, I was stressed already and he just added the pressure to the stress. Jacob looked to me and looking behind me. “We must go in the closet.” He said grabbing my hand and opening the closet door. “You ready?” He looked back at me with painful eyes. “I have no other choice.” I smiled trying to lighten the mood for him. “Listen to me carefully.” He sighed taking a deep breath. “You will go berserk, and you will not remember anything about the rest of tonight.” He gasped leaning his forehead on mine. “Once the moon comes out from behind those clouds you will be gone until the sun rises tomorrow.” He looked at me knowing this now made me even more scared.

He walked into the closet and sat down spreading his legs to where I could sit. I took a deep breath looking out the window then back to him. I then sat down in between his legs as he managed to close the closet door to a crack. “Ready?” He asked me again. As the moon came out from behind the clouds, I watched myself change into something that should have been the real me.