Midnight Runner

Chapter 12: Unknown Eclipse.

Time passes. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does.

Even for me.

The clock read 7:39. Jake put his muscular, tan, warm hand over Paige’s mouth attempting to keep her from screaming. “Paige!” Jacob whispered loudly trying to put more force around her stomach and mouth to keep her from wiggling out from his grip.

Hours passed as the clock on the stand next to her bed now read 9:56. Jacob was still struggling to hold Paige down while trying to be gentle enough so he wouldn’t leave any bruises. “God damnit!” Jacob yelled as Paige’s top part of her mouth got free from his hand and she bit down taking a huge chunk of skin out of the top part of his hand. “Ow!” Jacob yelled pulling away his hands to check on it. Paige crawled out of the closet while standing up and running to the window as she strived to rip the bars from the window. “Paige!” Jacob shouted her name leaping over to her. “You are such a pain!” He shouted again wrapping both arms around her waist while he lifted her up in the air as he watched her kick her legs back and forth.

Paige turned toward him growling and hissing like some cat as she tried to bite him on the nose. “Ugh!” Jacob groaned swinging her back around to the front of him. “Is everything okay in there?” Uncle Mark knocked on the door with a worried voice. “Oh yah Mr. Mark, just…uh Paige is practicing her grunt for the tennis club in school.” Jacob said shaking his head. “What was that?” He mumbled back to himself shaking his head. “Oh, ok but um try to keep it down I’m going to bed.” Mark replied back as he walked off closing his door to his room. “Will do.” Jacob sighed turning his head back up to her raising one eyebrow.

Jacob once again looked to the clock that now read 2:32 am. They were still in their same position except Paige was now dangling over Jake’s arms like she was a pair of socks hanging out to dry. “If this ever happens again, I am not doing this.” Jacob whispered as loudly as he could looking out the window to the full moon. As he still had a hold of her he walked to the window still keeping his gaze on the moon. “What?” Jacob looked closer at the moon seeing that the full moon was turning into an eclipse. “Holy freaking crap!” Jacob set Paige in the closet closing it while tying a rope around the knobs of the closet.

Jacob busted open the window, standing out on the balcony. He ran both his hands threw his hair as he sighed. “Perfect.” He threw his hands on the railing noticing that the pack was standing there. “Jake, this is bad we need to go into hiding!” Quil yelled from the left side of the house. “I know but what about Paige?!” He yelled back looking at the closet. A couple minutes passed as the pack was conversing in the heads trying to get things straightened out. “No, no they are the last “things” on earth I would ever have them watching her!” Jacob blurted from his mouth. “They’re our only hope, Jake.” Embry said walking up besides Quil. “No!” Jacob said again slamming his hands down on the railing. “Jacob you’re being stubborn!” Paul said folding his arms. “I don’t care, I’m not having her go over there!” Jacob shouted back as he walked in the room tying another rope the closet. “She will stay here until morning.” Jacob said looking back one last time before I decided to jump off the balcony.

“Birds?” I mumbled to myself as I steadily opened my eyes, I herd birds singing their songs. My eyes became wide when I was in my very own closet alone, no Jake. “Did I do anything to him?” I mumbled to myself out loud again as I crawled over to the doors and pushed but when I did it looked like rope or bungee cords tied the closet doors shut. “What?” I pushed hard enough on where it snapped the rope and flew me flat on my face. “Ow.” I whispered trying to keep it down for no reason at all.

“He was right, I can’t remember a single thing after he put his hand around my mouth.” I said to myself again, as I crawled from the floor to the bed plopping down and searching threw my room for a sign on what had happened the night before.