Life on Banana Street

Jeff's House

We finally arrived at Jeff’s house after many stops of kissing.

“Bye. Pick me up at 5.”

“Ok. I’ll see you then.”

I waved by and walked to the door and knocked.

He answered and looked very happy to see me.

“Addie! Hi!”

“What is with you?”

“Don’t ask me I don’t even know. I’m just…glad you’re my friend.”

“Ok?”

“Oh. Come in, come in.”

I went in and the house smelt of orange like it was covering up something.

“Jeff, did you shit or something then try to cover it up with orange stuff?”

“Maybe…No, my mom went cleaning crazy yesterday. She was watching Martha Stewart. Now if that isn’t the next child molester, then I don’t know what is.”

I laughed and went to the back of the house to the computer room where it looked like Jeff was trying to do his work.

“So, are we gonna come in here and do it?”

“Hold on, let me get a condom,” he said jokingly and came back to sit at the desk in front of me.

“I know I haven’t said this in a while, but you’re so weird.”

“No, actually you said it to me this morning.”

“Yeah you would be the only person who keeps track of what I call you.”

“I would.”

I explained to him the theory of geometry and I told him to do some on his own.

He looked frustrated.

“Jeff, come on, it’s not that hard.”

“It’s not that, Addie. You wouldn’t understand.”

“Is there something going on in your home life that we need to talk about?”

“It’s in my home life but I can’t necessarily talk about it with you.”

“Just tell me, Jeff.”

“I’m jealous.”

“Of what?”

“Of Tre.”

“What?”

“Yeah. It’s kind of obvious. Everyone could tell except you.”

“How long…have you know, liked me.”

“Since 3rd grade.”

I thought about 3rd grade. “Oh, now I understand. It makes a lot of sense now.”

“I can’t believe I had to open up and tell you myself.”

“I’m slow ok?”

“You’re the farthest thing from slow.”

The nicer Jeff was to me, the more I liked him.

“Jeff.”

“Yeah?”

I went in closer, slowly, “You got a booger hanging out of your nose.”

“Oh.” He said, then picked his nose and acted like he flung it on the wall.

“Just kidding.” He left the room into the kitchen and I heard him tear a paper towel and throw it in the trash can. (wishes)

He came back and sat down.

“Jeff, do you get it? Or do you need more help?”

“I think I got it down.”

“Ok, I’m gonna go now. I have other things to do.”

I got up and walked to the phone and dialed Tre’s number.

“Hello?”

“Tre, can you pick me up?”

“Yeah, I’ll be there in a few.”

“Ok, love you, bye.”

“Love you too.”

I hung up the phone and tuned around and Jeff was right in my face.

“Um hi?”

He grabbed my shoulders and kissed me quickly.

“Ok…” I said as my voice cracked.

“I, have always wanted to do that.”

“I can tell. But you’re going out with Sam and I’m going out with Tre.”

“So. Sam is just a distraction between me and you.”

“Jeff, you know I can’t do this. If we go out, you know we’ll break up, then it’ll harm our friendship. That’s how it always happens.”

He looked merely disappointed and let go of my shoulders.

“I guess you’re right. That won’t change my feelings for you, though.”

“Am I that pretty? So many guys like me. It makes me want to…want to shoot Mike’s baseball bat.”

“Oh my God. It’s such a crime that guys like you. Be happy. Only like 2 people like me. Counting you.”

“Who said I liked you?” I asked seriously then smiling. “Just kidding, Jeff. Of course I like you.” His face brightened. “Just not like that.”

“Damnit!”

I laughed and Tre drove up in the drive way.

“See you tomorrow at school. Oh yeah, I have detention. Well, I’ll see you in the morning before class.”

“Alright sounds good to me.”

I walked out to Tre’s car and got in.

“So how was geometry?”

“Ok. I found out some very shocking news. Which I’m not going to tell you!”

“Ugh! Why?”

“Top secret.”

“Fine then.”

He held my hand while driving.

“Addie, I’m so glad you’re mine. And not anyone else’s.”

“Aw, I’m glad too Tre!”

We got home and Tre’s mom handed me a note…from my brother.

I took it and it looked like it had already been opened. Thanks for opening and reading it bitch.

“Thanks.”

I opened it and read it going up stairs.

Adeline,
Since mom’s in jail and dad’s dead, I’ll be moving into the old house so you don’t have to live with Tre anymore. I’ll give you notice tomorrow, April 29.


Tre came up behind me. “What’s the letter about?”

“My brother. He’s going to move into the old house, and I have to live with him.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

“No.”

“You sounded like it was a bad thing.”

“No I didn’t.”

“Yeah you did.”

“No I didn’t Tre! What the hell is your problem?”

“Jeff! That’s my problem! I heard you two on the phone last night.”

“You were listening in on our conversation? Besides, he wasn’t even talking about me.”

“Yeah, how about ‘Hey sexy!’ ‘Hey!’”

“You little snoop! How could you listen in on our conversation?”

“How could you talk to people like that behind my back?”

“Maybe because I was practicing it on him for you? Huh?”

He was speechless.

“Now how could you brownnose?”

“Because I was curious if you were cheating on me.”

There are some things we suspect that are true, but turn out not to be. And I’m gonna stop now because I’m sounding like that Desperate Housewives narrator. Tune in in a few days for the next part of…Life On Banana Street.