Life on Banana Street

Concert

“Ok good. I thought he was really leaving.”

“What?” Mitzi asked.

“Oh nothing. Just this note Gabe left me. No biggy.”

She took the note from my hands.

“Hey!”

“Dear Addie,” she read aloud, “I’ve left you. I’m just kidding baby. I left you to go out with the guys for a while. Be back later.
♥gabe “ “Aww that’s sweet.”

“Shut up…” I said rolling my eyes.

She laughed. “The guys? He actually has guy friends?”

“I guess so. Either that or he’s hanging out with his mom.”

“Yeah.”

“Or he could be cheating on me.”

My heart stopped suddenly and Mitzi had tears in her eyes once more from her own problems.

“Nah, he wouldn’t do that. I know Gabe,” Mitzi said wiping her tears.

“Yeah. He would never do that.”

“Hey Mitzi, what do you say we go to Blockbuster and go rent chick flicks to piss Gabe off and we can feel better about ourselves.”

“Well, Gabe wouldn’t get pissed off. He’d sit down and watch it with us.”

“He would wouldn’t he?”

“Totally! But yeah let’s go!”

-Blockbuster-

“Hmm…This looks like a good one.”
We picked out all the gay 80’s movies that we would never think about renting like Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, and The Breakfast Club. Just classic 80’s movies. THAT ARE GAY! We rented them and went home and it was hard to watch, so we just made fun of people while it was on.

“Oh my God have you seen Nicky Davis lately?” I asked.

“No. What happened? Did he eat a child?”

“He tried to eat the one that was dropped on my doorstep. Actually, he tried to hit on-”

“He hit on you?”

“No.” I laughed. “He hit on Gabe.”

“What?” We were cracking up laughing. “You gotta be kidding me!”

“Nope. He hit on Gabe.” It gets funnier every time.

All of a sudden, Gabe walked in the door. We were laughing again.

“What’s so funny?”

“Nothing, baby.”

“Are y’all talking about me?”

“No! Silly Goose. Never.” He looked at us funny then sat down by me.

“Ok, what were you talking about then?”

“I’m not gonna tell you!”

“Alright then.” He started tickling me and finally I gave in.

“Okay! Okay. We were talking about how Nicky hit on you.”

“Oh. Yeah that one was a classic. I’m too good looking for my own good.”

“Yeah, ok. We’ll go with that.”

“What? You don’t agree with my astonishing, devilishly handsome looks?”

“Of course I do!” He kissed me and I could tell Mitzi was uncomfortable.

“Gabe, not right now.”

He hung his head and left the room. “Alright.”

“So Mitzi, whatcha wanna do?”

“I don’t know, but I’m bored.”

“Yeah same here that’s why I asked you what you wanted to do.”

“Know any concerts?” She asked.

“Yeah. Green Day.”

“Who are they?”

“I dated two of the people in that band. Their show starts in an hour. If we hurry we can make it.”

“Don’t you need tickets?”

“Psh. I can find a way not to get tickets.”

We got to the concert and I called Billie’s cell phone (yes he had a cell phone).

“Hello?”

“Billie?”

“Hey Ad! What have you been up to?”

“Nothing much. Just let us in.”

“Let you in where?”

“We’re at the front. We don’t have tickets.”

“Oh. Go to the side I’ll let y’all in.”

“Ok.”

I hung up and we went around to the side like he instructed and we went in through backstage before the show and got floor seats.

“Get ready to get your mind blown Mitzi!”

“I’m not a mind blowing person!”

“Come on, I know you. I know you can really rock.”

“I guess I’ll try.”

“At a girl.”

“Alright everyone! We are GREEN DAY!”

The crowd went wild, but it took Mitzi a while to get used to it.

“Ok, ok. This song is dedicated to a very special person out there tonight. This song’s called…409 IN YOUR COFFEEMAKER!” I went wild this time. Mitzi did as well. We admired this song.

“I sit in a state of a daydream. With all of your words flying over my head. Even more time gets wasted in a daze…It should seem obvious to you. Your screams and cried are never going to work. And all of your time gets wasted in a daze…And I’m looking back now at where I have gone wrong. And why I could not seem to get along. My interests are longing to break through these chains, these chains that control my future’s aims. Oh no…”

“In case you didn’t know, that song was dedicated to my ex-girlfriend…ADELINE!” Billie shouted into the microphone. I smiled at him and he smiled back, but Tre was in the back and I could tell he wasn’t comfortable. “Even though our times are though…I still love her.” The crowd cheered tremendously as Mitzi said, “Go up there and kiss him!”

“What are you crazy? I’m with Gabe.”

“Just go!” Billie heard the conversation and pulled me up on stage. As we kissed, it brought back old times. 8th grade, when we were going out, we had our first kiss. This reminded me of that. I went back down in the mosh pit and Billie said, “Now that was a kiss!”

They played other songs like: Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?, Paper Lanterns, 80, and Tre’s new song, Dominated Love Slave. We cheered for every song, even the last one. After the show, me and Mitzi went backstage to wait for Billie.

“Billie! That was so good!”

He smiled. “I really enjoyed that kiss.”

“Really?” I was procrastinating.

“Yeah. I did. It reminded me of old times.”

“Same here!” Tre came up behind Billie.

“Addie, can I talk to you for a minute?”

“I guess.” He grabbed my arm and took me to the side while Billie and Mitzi were talking.

I waited. “Ok. What?”

“I’m really sorry.”

“For what? For cheating on me or raping me?”

“Both. And I hope you would forgive me.”

“I don’t know. Sure, you’re nice, but I don’t know if we can go back to old times. Billie has a better chance than you.”

“Oh come on, man. That’s not nice.”

“Yeah. And it’s not nice the way you cheated on me. I guess you can’t get enough.”

“Nope. I’m a horny man of God.”

“What the hell? Where did God come from?”

“No where. I thought you were religious.”

“Um…No.”

“Oh.”

“So, Tre. Any new girlfriends?”

“No. There’s only one girl for me.”

“That’s very sweet of you, but I’m taken.”

“Oh really?”

“Yeah…I kinda told you this before.” He grabbed me by my shoulders tightly and kissed me.

“Are you taken now?” I looked at him. He really did love me.

“I don’t know, Tre. I just don’t know.”

“Well think about it and give me a call. Same number.”

“You haven’t moved out of your parent’s house yet?”

“No…”

I laughed. “Wow.” Mitzi grabbed my arm.

“Addie, I think we should be getting back to your place. It’s getting late.”

“Alright.” We drove back to my apartment, awaiting to see Gabe. We walked in the door and he looked at me like he was feeling something, hurt. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Just that you cheated on me.”

Crap.

“What?”

“Don’t play dumb with me. I saw you on TV.”

It was on TV?

“I’m sorry. It was in the moment.”

“Yeah well you know what else is in the moment?”

“What?”

“Us breaking up.”

“No! You can’t break up with me!”

“I know you’re right. I don’t know what I was thinking. I would never dump you.”