Life on Banana Street

Psycho

“Hmm. What a weirdo. I don’t like that kid,” Gabe said.

“Don’t you dare call Billie that!” I snapped.

“What? I don’t think you should talk to me like that!”

“What are you gonna do? I can leave here anytime.”

“I might just slap you.”

“Yeah, then I’ll call the cops.”

“For what? Like they’ll believe you.”

“Why wouldn’t they?”

“Psh. Just never mind you won’t get it anyway.”

“Oh really? I could leave you and never come back.”

“Let’s see you try! I bet you won’t have the guts!”

“Oh yeah?” I ripped the IV out of my arm, got my things on the side of the bed and left the room. “That’ll show him to talk to me like that.” I heard him come out of the door like a bull in a China store. I was picking up speed as I rounded the corner. I quickly went into a room and hid behind the door. He kept going as I caught my breath. I decided to change instead of people looking at my bare behind. As I got out of the room, I heard screams from another hallway.

“I GOTTA GET MY GIRL! SHE’S RUNNING AWAY! I’LL NEVER SEE HER AGAIN!”

“Sir! Sir! Please calm down we’ll find her. Just take these pills.” The next thing I heard was THUD. I left the hospital and found a pay phone to call Billie.

“Hello?”

“Billie?”

“Oh, it’s you. I thought It would be someone interesting.”

“Billie, can you please pick me up? Gabe went psycho and I feel I’m not safe. Can I stay at your place then catch a plane back to Texas tomorrow?”

“Yeah I guess. I knew that guy was up to no good. But this doesn’t mean I like you or anything. Where are you?”

“Outside the hospital. Please hurry. I don’t know when he’ll wake back up.”

“Ok, just stay calm. I’ll be there in a minute.” I sat on the side of the hospital so if he did come out, he wouldn’t see me right away. Then, I saw Billie’s rat ass car around the corner and I got up. Just as I walked over to the side of the road to get in the car, Gabe come out of the hospital darting towards me. Billie sped up to get to me faster and I jumped in as he opened the door. “Go!” I looked out the back window and Gabe was right behind us. He was a track star, as he told me, in high school.

“Damn! How long is he gonna go like this?”

“Who knows? Just hurry.”

“What do you think I’m doing?” After a while of trying to lose Gabe, we finally lost him.

“McDonald’s?”

“Sure.” He pulled into the drive thru and placed our orders. After we paid, we had to wait 5 minutes to get our food.

“So, Addie, what made him so crazy?”

“I was…defending. You.” I looked as I was about to cry.

“Why? You didn’t have to do that.”

“No, but I did. He’s always said horrible stuff about you.”

“Well, what did he say this time?”

“He said you were weird and didn’t like you. That’s when I snapped and couldn’t take his making fun of you anymore. He hasn’t really liked you since my party.”

“Man, that was a while ago. Tough character.”

“Yeah, tell me about it.”

“Ok.” He shifted in his chair. “About-”

I laughed. “No! I was just joking.”

“Right. Sure you were.” He smiled at me.

“Here’s your food sir.” A young lady handed us our food and as he almost drove away, I said, “Maria?” He eyes grew big and her face went red. “Um, how did you recognize me?”

“I can recognize anyone from anywhere.”

She smiled uncomfortably. “Who are you again?”

“I’m Addie, I went to school with you in high school.”

“Oh yeah! You’re the one who had sex!” Oh yeah that’s something to be well-known for.

“Uh yeah! And everyone was making a big deal about it.”

“The day I came back,” Billie said, staring straight ahead like he was concentrating.

“So, Adeline, are you two dating?”

“No, my fiancé went psycho and we’re trying to escape from him.”

She looked at me weird and said, “Well it was nice meeting up with you two. Hope to see y’all again.”

“Ok.” We drove off and Billie said, “Well that was awkward.”

“Yeah, but at least she was nice.”

“Yeah.” We got back to Billie’s apartment and we finished our dinner and after many movies, we finally fell asleep.

-The Next Afternoon-

I woke up and Billie was right next to me. I poked his shoulder and he squirmed and woke up. “Huh?”

“I have to get ready to go to the airport.”

“Ok, I’ll get up in a minute.” An hour later, he was still asleep. I jumped on him and he screamed.

“Wake the hell up! I have to go!”

“Alright! Damn!” I got my stuff together, took a shower and went into the kitchen to Billie cooking eggs.

“I didn’t know you knew how to cook.”

“There’s a lot of things you didn’t know about me. Besides with all this free time I’ve learned a lot.”

“You mean free time from…”

“You. The band.”

“Oh yeah the band, how are y’all doing?”

“Pretty good. We’re going to release our new album sometime next year. It’s not quite finished. But no matter, you’ll be the first one to get it.” I looked at him and smiled as he placed a plate of eggs in front of me. “You’re welcome.”

“Oh, thank you,” I said. After we caught up on each other’s lives, he drove me to the airport. “Well, this is goodbye.” I turned around and set my bags down.

“It won’t be forever.”

“It already feels like it.”

“I’ll be back, probably during Christmas. I’ll call you everyday.”

“You don’t have to do that, you’ll run out of dimes.”

“No, but I will.” I picked up my bags and headed towards the plane. I turned around and ran to Billie and kissed him. “I’ll miss you Bill. I love you.” I pecked him one last time and got on the plane.