Life on Banana Street

Dorm partner

Hours later, I finally arrived back in Texas to see Jeff. And of course, he was there at the airport to pick me up. “Hey Jeff!”

“Hey! How was your heart attack?”

“Good. Gabe went psycho. I think I broke up with him.”

“You think?”

“Well I don’t know! Because me and Billie ran from him. In the car.”

“What did he do?” He put his arm around me to lead me to the car.

“Well, he was making fun of Billie if you wanna call it that and I got mad and he just went all abusive on me.” He opened the door and slammed it right as I was about to get in. His face went all veiny and purply.

“He beat you?” He asked, his tone rising.

“No! He would never do that, he just acted like he was about to so I ran and they put tranquilizer in him so that’s when I called Billie and told him to pick me up and he woke up and chased us.” He stared at me with wide eyes. “Yeah I know.” We got in the car and he drove me back to the campus. I got out and he helped me with my bags. I opened my dorm with my key and once again, Mandy was having sex with another girl. A different one this time. How many lezbo people can be at this school?

“Addie! Good to have you back! Wanna join?”

“Um no. I’ll be going now.” Jeff was standing at the door watching in awe. I grabbed his shoulder to make him move but he just stood there until finally I shut the door.

“Hey! What was that for?”

“For being a perv now let’s go.”

“Where are we going?”

“Anywhere but here.”

“Aw! Meanie.”

“Yes, I know. Now come on!” I dragged him from in front of my door and we walked around the campus.

“Hey Addie!”

“Hey Compton Ass Terry! What’s up?”

“Please, call me Compton. Oh, nuttin' really. Hey yo wanna go out fo ice cream?”

“Sure. Jeff, do you mind?”

“No, go have fun.”

“Ok.” Compton and I walked to the ice cream shop a few blocks away.

“So, who was dat guy you were walking wit? You walk wit him lot.”

“I know, I’ve known him since I was born.”

“Yo bro?”

“No, but close enough. We were born on the same day, same year, and we always hang out.”

“Coo, Coo.” All of a sudden, the ice cream reminded me of the last thing Gabe got me. What an asshole. “What flavo yo want?”

“Um…”

“We can share a banana spilt?” he suggested.

“Sounds good!” We ordered and when we got it, we sat down at a table nearby.

“So,” he started. “Whatchoo thankin bout?” I got a spoonful of ice cream and I looked like I was thinking. Only one person came to my mind. Billie. I’ve never felt this feeling that I’ve had when I’m around him.

“Um…just how delicious this banana split is.” He smiled that high person smile again.

“Look hur, I can tell yo don wanna be hur, so we can jus live afta dis k?”

“What makes you say that? Of course I want to be here! You’re my friend!”

“But I wanna be mo than yo friend.”

“Oh, I don’t know, Compton. Don’t take it personally, it’s just that…there’s someone else.”

“Is coo. Not da firs time I be rejected fo.”

“I’m sorry, it’s not you. It’s me.”

“Course das what dey als say. But don matta I got otha girls line up. Yo can still be mah friend tho.”

“Ok, I just didn’t want to hurt your feelings.”

“Yo? Neva.” That smile came again. It started to creep me out. We walked back to the campus and Jeff was standing at the door to let us in.

“Hurry! They’re about to kick me out of my spot!”

“Ok!” We got in the building and Compton hugged me and said, “See ya Ad.”

“Ok.” Jeff walked me to my room and there was paper on the door:
NOTICE: YOUR ROOM HAS BEEN EVICTED DUE TO THE FACT THAT YOUR ROOMMATE HAS BEEN CAUGHT DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL ON THIS CAMPUS. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GET YOUR KEYS FROM THE FRONT BECAUSE WE HAVE CHANGED THE LOCKS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND PATIENCE.
-PORTIA M. MATLOCK, HEAD OF DEPARTMENT

“Thank you for your time and patience? That’s the stupidest crap I ever heard.”

“They think you’re actually reading this.”

“Well, come with me.”

“Where?”

“I have to go get my keys.”

“They’re right there.” He pointed to my hands.

“Yeah, well they changed the locks on me.”

“Oh, well that’s not good.”

“Nope. So come with me.”

“Aight.” We walked down the hall and Jeff tripped and fell.

“What the hell did you trip over?”

“Nothing.” He got back up and pretended like nothing ever happened. I laughed at his stupidity and we continued down the hall.

“Oh, Ms. Hersh. We’ve been expecting you.” I was kinda freaked out because it sounded like she was gonna rape me or something.

“Yes, I’m here to pick up my keys.” She went to the back of the small room and came back with a set of keys.

“This one is for your room and this one is for the outside. I know you’ve been sneaking in at night.” Stalker…

“Yeah, I tend to do that.” It was getting uncomfortable.

“Oh, and I almost forgot. You’re getting a new roommate tomorrow, so you sleep soundly tonight.” Well now I can’t.

“Alright thanks.” Me and Jeff left there and went back to my room.

“Well, night Jeff. See you tomorrow in class.”

“You know it.” He walked away and I shut my door. I practically had a party in there by myself. I turned up my stereo loud and danced until I fell asleep.

-The Next Morning-

The next morning I woke up and went down to the cafeteria to get something to eat quickly because I was running off schedule. I grabbed a power bar and went back to my dorm to get ready and face the day. I quickly straightened my hair and threw on some clean clothes, grabbed my bag and headed for Mr. Fedie’s class. “So nice of you to join us, Addie,” Mr. Fedie said as I walked into the room and took a seat next to Jeff and Compton.

“Why are you so late?” Jeff asked.

“I over slept. Duh.” He turned back to the front and Mr. Fedie was explaining the play that was going to take place in the next few weeks.

“Ms. Hersh,” he said out loud. “It seems as though you have not been here lately and need to resign as Juliet because the play is in a couple of weeks.”

“Please, don’t-”

“Talk to me after class if you want to fill this position.” Mr. Fedie was being a dick.

“What’s up with Mr. Fedie?” I asked Compton.

“Well, his wifey lef em n now e’s sad. Ya dig?”

“Yeah.” After class I went up to Mr. Fedie and asked why he was taking out his pain on me.

“Mr. Fedie, we need to talk.”

“I’m not the one who waltzed in late.”

“No, but you don’t have to be mean that your wife left you.” He stared at me speechless.

“Yeah, I know.”

“How did you know?”

“Compton told me.”

“Who?”

“Terry.”

“Oh, well it was none of his business.”

“You didn’t have to embarrass me in front of everyone.” I walked swiftly to the door and slammed the door on my way out. Jeff was waiting on me outside of class. “So you seeing anyone?”

“Gabe…”

“Oh. I thought you two were through?”

“I thought so, too, but I’m just not sure.”

“Well I was wondering if you’d go out with me.” I thought about Billie. I felt sorry for him, because I wanted to go out with Jeff. Not that I truly loved him, just it would be fun. Well I wasn’t with Billie. It might be fun.

“Jeff, we’ve talked about this. You know that if we go out, then it would ruin our relationship.”

“Just please. It doesn’t have to be anything serious.”

I pondered. “I suppose. It wouldn’t be bad.”

He jumped in the air and screamed, “YE-OH!”

“What the hell?” I asked laughing.

“I hit my hand on the tree.”

“Well, that’s not the first time that happened…”

“Shut up.” I laughed again and he put his arm around me.

“Ok, this feels too weird. Going out with my best friend.”

“Well, at least now when everyone knows we’re together, they know not to be afraid of the Jeffster.”

“Oh, so you’re using me?” He looked like he was about to say something, but nothing would come out. “I’m appalled that you would think that way about me!”

“I’m kidding Jeff, Jesus Christ…” When classes were over, I walked in my dorm and saw a person unpacking. “Oh, you must be my new roommate!” She turned around and gave me a friendly hand shake.

“Well Howdy Do!” Oh, this isn’t going to be easy.

“Hi, I’m Adeline, Addie for short.”

“Well it’s very nice to meet you! I’m Mary Sue! I got kicked out of my dorm for being too quiet. Don’t mind me.”

“You bet I won’t…” Kill me.