Life on Banana Street

Oh Wow

I woke up the next morning and went to the kitchen. Tre was still asleep on the couch. He looked so cute! I could just eat him up. -Flashback- Yeah like a HoHo. I laughed to myself and made some eggs. All of a sudden, someone came behind me and started kissing my neck. “Tre…Not in the morning…”

“Sorry. Couldn’t help it. The prettiest lady in the world is in my house.”

“Don’t you feel special?”

“Very.”

“Well after breakfast, I need to take a little trip down to the court.”

“For what?”

“For you, I’m turning you in.”

“More like on, I love it when you talk to me like that.” I smiled and kissed him.

“Technically, I’m cheating on Gabe, but he doesn’t give a rat’s ass.”

“Well we have to get going. Don’t want to be late.” He picked me up like we were just married.

“Tre put me down, I’m not in the mood for this.” He looked at me shocked.

“What happened to you?”

“I got pregnant, that’s what.” He gave me the same look again.

“Did you mean to?”

“No, it’s funny. Every time I have sex I get pregnant.”

He laughed. “You said sex.” I smiled at his elementary humor. We got in his truck and he drove me down to the courthouse. There was a long line of people. We were standing in one line for about half an hour until I realize we were in the wrong one. “Damnit!” I went into another one that said ‘Marital’ and figured it was the right one. Thankfully this one was shorter. When we got to the front, this old lady said, “Let me guess you want a divorce.” I looked confused at her and said, “Yeah…How did you know?”

“I’ve seen this a million times before. Young girl comes here with a boy that’s not her husband, gets the papers and leaves.”

“Ok that’s freaky…Are you like psychic?”

“No not really. Well just fill out these forms and get back to me in a few minutes. You can sit down over there.” She pointed towards a seating area.

“Thanks, I won’t be long.” She smiled bitterly. Ok bitch. I signed everything and went back to the lady and handed her the clipboard.

“Thank you, now if you will,” she ripped out some pages and handed them to me. “Take these to your husband and take them to your lawyer ASAP. You do have a lawyer don’t you?”

“I can hire one I guess.”

She nodded and said, “Next.” So that’s what I did. I went to the house and of course, Gabe was sitting on the couch crying.

“Gabe, you basically asked for this.” I handed him the papers.

“You’re seriously gonna do this?”

“Uh yeah, you said you didn’t care and you’d sign them.”

“Well what if I don’t want to?”

“Gabe you’re fucking bipolar. I can’t handle this.”

“You’re going to have my child married to him?” He pointed at Tre and looked disgusted.

“So…Your point?”

“It’s not his child.”

“It’s not yours either, Gabe.”

“What?”

“Nope.”

“Well then whose-” He looked at Tre and punched his nose.

“You sick bastard! Having sex with my woman while I’m still with her!”

“Gabe, it’s not his! For the last goddamn time!”

“Tell me whose it is. Is it Jeff’s?”

“No.” I paused. “It’s Billie’s.”

“You had sex with Billie while we were together?”

“See that’s it! We weren’t together! That was when I went to his house after we ran from you at the hospital!”

“I can’t believe this. Give me those papers,” Gabe said. He signed on the line and threw the papers at me. “There. Live happily ever after.”

“Goodbye Gabe, it’s been good to know you.” I walked out the door with Tre and we got in the truck.

“I can’t believe it either,” he said. “It was Billie’s all along?”

“Yeah. He would be a father if he wasn’t dead. I would marry him no doubt if he were alive right now.”

“Oh, so I’m just the backup?”

“No, Tre. You’re taking it the wrong way. I would never think of you that way. You just so happened to be the person I’m in love with right now.” He looked up at me.

“Really?”

“Of course, Tre. I don’t know what you do, you just get me to fall for you every time.” He smiled and leaned over the arm rest and frenched me. I smiled back and he put the car in ignition. When we got home that night, I immediately fell on the bed to go to sleep. So this is what pregnancy does to you. It was only the beginning. Shit.

-The Next Morning-

“Wake up, Sleepy Beauty.” I opened my eyes to see Tre, his big smiling face in mine.

“Um…Morning?” He jumped on the bed and kept jumping on it.

“What’s wrong with you?”

“Oh, nothing, just some news I know would make you the happiest person on Earth.”

“I already am. I have you.” He stopped jumping and crossed his arms.

“Ok then, even happier.”

“What could possibly make me happier?”

“I’ll tell you at the end of the day.” He jumped off the bed and went to the kitchen to cook.

“Tre! You know I’m gonna beat it out of you by then.”

“Most likely, but I’m not telling you.” The doorbell rang.

“Hey babe, can you get that?” He said.

“Sure.” I walked to the door and opened it. It was my nightmare come true. I screamed. Tre ran in the living room with his apron on and a pan in his hands. “Addie, what are you screaming for? It’s just Mike.”

“Exactly.”

“Missed you too,” Mike said and walked past me.

“Ok, come on in,” I said.

“What it’s not like this is your house.”

“Well I live here so I guess it kinda is.”

“You took her back Tre?”

“Yeah I guess you could say that.” He smiled and winked at me. Mike sat down at the breakfast table and joined us for breakfast. “So Mike, how’s Canada?”

“Who?”

“Kate.”

“Oh.” He rolled his eyes. “How should I know, she dumped me for being too much of a girl.” I laughed. “Hey, it’s not funny!”

“It kinda is Mike,” Tre said. He did the ‘seafood’ trick to Tre and of course he fell for it. “Dude that’s gross. Spitting it out at the person is better.” I was drinking my milk when he said that and it came out all over the table. “It’s called a bib, Addie.” I laughed again.

“Oh, have y’all heard the news about-” I saw Tre kick Mike. “Dude what the hell?”

“I’m not telling her until the end of the day.”

“Oh, well it’s worth waiting Addie. You’ll be so happy.” What the hell is going on?

“Um sure.” Mike took a last sip of his milk and said, “Well I’ll be going now. Good to catch up with you guys.” He left and me and Tre were left alone. Tre was picking up the dishes on the table and I came from behind. I jumped on him and knocked him to the floor.

“Tell me what’s going on and I’ll let you go.” He flipped to where he was on top.

“I don’t think so Poindexter.” He got up and finished the dishes. Damnit. I was still laying on the floor for about an hour and finally Tre picked me up and took me to the couch. “I can’t stand to see you laying on the floor and looking so miserable.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I’m going to tell you what’s going on.” I sat up and looked him straight in the eye.

“Tell me.”

“Ok. This morning, Billie’s grave was dug up. There was just an open casket at his grave.”

“How the hell is that supposed to make me happy? They created arson?”

“No,” he laughed. “And the next thing we all know, Billie’s walking around downtown.” My eyes were wide.

“He’s alive?”

“Yes.”