Life on Banana Street

The Break Up

I was at my house when my mom was drunk so she would pass out some time soon. I heard loud noises coming from downstairs then walked down a few minutes later just to make sure she wasn't coming up here.
I turned my head around the corner and saw her passed out on the couch. I pulled her with all my weight and locked her in the closet.
As soon as I turned the lock, the doorbell rang. I went to answer it and it was Billie.

"Hey Billie!" I hugged him and he came in.

"Hi. Adeline, I've been thinking."

That's the first time I ever heard him say my real name.

"Yeah? About what?"

"Us. I know it's hard for you to go out with someone like me."

"No it's not."

"Don't lie. I know it is."

"I'm not. You can't break up with me. You're the thing I look forward to."

"I'm sorry, Adeline."

I could feel my face go hot. Tears swelled my eyes.

"Addie, don't cry. I'll still be your friend. Always."

"That's the thing with guys. They think that when you break up with someone, it'll be like we still are friends. It doesn't work that way."

"Oh come on. Don't be that way."

"You had to say it was over, Bill. It's all your fault."

"I didn't want this to harm our friendship."

"Too fucking late."

"Please, Addie."

"No, Billie. You ruined your chance. You opened the wound. It'll take forever to patch it up."

"Yeah that's typical. Girls never take the guy back. Good bye, Adeline."

He got up and walked out. Me, with my head in my hands, thinking what Billie just did. How could he? He knew what I was going through. He was my life. Was is the key word. Oh well, I gotta move on with my life. My terrible life.

-The Next Day-

It seems apparently Billie has told everyone about us. People came me to me saying stuff like, "Crybaby," "How did you take it? Oh yeah, you don't have to tell me, the whole school knows." This is what makes me unpopular. I felt like I wanted to slit my wrists. I ran to the bathroom and broke a mirror. I grabbed a piece of glass, and before I did it, my best friend came in the bathroom.

"Carly, leave me in peace."

"Hershey, I'm not gonna let you do this. Drop that damn piece of glass and get the hell out of the bathroom."

"Do you know what I'm going through?"

"Yeah. The whole school knows, but you have to move on."

"You don't know what it's like, Carly. No one does. That's why I must do it."

"God damnit, Hershey! Drop the fucking glass!"

"Fine, Carly. Let me walk back out of here and face everyone."

"I don't blame you, but you can't do it."

She grabbed my arm to make sure I didn't do it, then took me to 4th period. Mr. Hamilton. Now I have to look at that child molester.

"Ok, time for attendance. Billie Joe?"

"Here."

"Nicolas David?"

"FOOD! I mean... here."

"Hershey, did you do your homework?"

"Do I ever?"

"No."

"Then no."

"Adeline?"

"Here."

"John?"

He burped.

"God, that's really immature, John."

"Your mom's immature."

He just had to say it. He had to remind me of my mom. That bitch. How could she be my mother? I must have been switched at birth.

"Jeffrey?"

"Yo."
I turned my head diagonally to see Jeff. He looked back at me then passed me a note.

Hey Addie. I just wanted to talk. Mr. Hamilton is a child molester. I think I'm his next victim. It should be Billie. He can't do that to you. I know. I would say this, but that BASTARD! Yeah... so anyway, yeah. I'm so mad. I'm going to punch my fist... Into my other fist! Just wanted to make you smile. Your friend FOREVER BITCH! Jeff.

I laughed to myself and wrote:

Ha-ha! Yeah it should be Billie. And you ALWAYS know how to make me smile. Oh God! Look at Nicky! He's sneaking Cheetos! That fat lard. Yeah you are my BEST friend FOREVER FUCKER! Luv ya! Hershey.

I passed it back to him and I saw him look up at Nicky then laugh.

"Mr. Hamilton! What's your policy on eating in the classroom?"

"Whoever eats gets detention."

"Oh yeah. I remember now. Thank you Mr. Hamilton."

"You're welcome Jeffrey."

He passed the note back to me.

Yeah so last night, I had a dream that Nicky was in my room. It was so scary. Ok, first, he broke my chair. Then he was chewing on my leg. I was like, "Dude! Stop chewing on my leg!" and he's like, "Don't worry, it's just a little piece." Then I said, "Dude, my legs are hairy." Yeah so keep the note. I'm actually going to pay attention! I know. Jeff Jelenchick- Pays Attention For The First Time. In all papers.

"Nicolas! What did I tell you about eating in my classroom?"

"Sorry Mr. Hamilton."

"No sorry's. You should have thought of that before you eat in this class. You'll be assigned an after school detention today. Call your parents and tell them you're staying after."

Nicky walked (scratch that) stomped down the hall to the principal's office to call his parents.

People were screaming "EARTHQUAKE!" in the hallway.

Mr. Hamilton left to calm everyone down that it was only Nicky.

"Jeff, you know what Mr. Hamilton's going to do to Nicky after school."

"Nicky's his next victim. We all new it."

-After School-

Billie left early today. I wasn't really worried what happened to him. His grandma probably died or something.

I walked down the street only to find I was totally wrong.
There were moving trucks in front of Billie's house. I didn't care before, but now, I'll have nowhere to go when my mom was being herself. I could go to Jeff's, but his parents would call my mom and then it'll happen all over again. Believe me. I tried.

I walked up to Billie's doorstep and knocked. Billie's sister Holly answered.

"Hey Adeline. I thought you and Billie were through."

"I just want to talk to him."

"Yeah of course. He's upstairs packing."

I walked upstairs and went in his room.

"Billie?"

"Hi Addie."

"You're the only one that calls me that."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No... " I hesitated. "I like it."

He stopped packing and turned around.

"Really?"

"Yeah. I like it better than Hershey."

"Wow. I thought that was your favorite name."

"No, ever since you've started calling me that, I've liked it."

He smiled and slowly walked over to me.

And you can guess what he did to me. He got some lint off my shirt.

"That was kind of bothering me there."

"Oh." I said feeling fully disappointed that he didn't kiss me. I was too young anyway. And we were over. It really made no sense.

"Billie?"

"Yeah?"

I walked over and kissed him. I stopped.

"Wow. Now I really am a slut."

"You're not a slut. Your mom is. Addie, move with me. I know you don't like it at your house."

"I can't move with you. My mom would find out then you know what she'd do?"

"No."

"Me either. That's why I asked you."

There was an awkward silence.

"So, where are you moving and why?"

"I'm moving across town. I'll still be able to go to the same school. Why? Because my mom can't afford this place anymore. You know, since my dad died."

"I remember that dreadful day. I'm sorry Billie."

"It's ok. It wasn't your fault. My dad smoked. It was bound to happen sooner or later."

"I'm sorry, Billie. I have to get home or my mom will think I'm getting laid then call me a slut again."

"Ok. Come back later. I'll come over when I'm about to leave."

I left towards the Hell house. I walked in only to my surprise, my mom was beating my brother.

"What are you gonna do today?"

"I'm going to OW stay home with you."

"What aren't you going to do?"

"OW go out with my OW friends to see a OW movie."

"Very good. Now go upstairs before I change my mind and decide to beat you again. It's your sister's turn."

I ran upstairs, but she caught my leg, causing me to fall and bite my tongue.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?"

"Mom! Why do you beat us? Why?" I had tears in my eyes.

"Ask why one more time! You won't live to say why again!"

"Please Mom! Tell me! I'm sick and tired of this shit! Why?"

"Because. I can't beat your father. It'd get me thrown in jail."

"Why do you beat people period?"

"Because! Because, Adeline! You don't know what it's like being me and the stuff I have to go through."

"And you think it's any easier for me? Ok, first, you beat me. As if that isn't bad enough. Then Billie broke up with me and told the whole school I cried. I almost slit my wrists today, Mom. You think that's the easy life?"