Life on Banana Street

The One I Want

-First Day of Tour-

“Are you sure you don’t want to come?” Billie asked me while packing some shirts.

“I’m sure. I need to stay here and watch after the house and whatnot.”

“Well I’m going to miss you,” he said looking sad.

“I’ll miss you too.” He continued packing and Joey was making noise so I went and check on him.

“Joey are you ok?”

“No.” I stood there for a minute to realize he just spoke.

“Billie!” He came in Joey’s room.

“Yeah Hun?”

“Did you teach Joey how to speak?”

“No…Was I supposed to?”

“No. He just spoke,” I said staring at Joey.

“No!” He said again.

“His first word is no?” Billie asked.

“I guess so. I don’t know how. We never taught him.”

“It’s probably from us saying so much.”

“Yeah. Well he said he wasn’t alright,” I said.

“Joey, what’s wrong?” Billie asked him. He shook his head and pointed to his head.

“Your head hurts?” He nodded. “He communicates.” Billie said stunned. I picked him up and took him downstairs to the medicine cabinet.

“Billie we don’t have any Children’s Tylenol.”

“Do you want me to go get some?” He asked slipping on his shirt walking downstairs.

“No. I’ll do it. You have to get ready.”

“Alright. Well let me know if I can do anything.” He went back upstairs and I got a cold rag and put it on Joey’s head while we were watching some child show I had no idea what. “Babe, I’m about to leave. The tour bus is almost here.”

“I wish you didn’t have to go,” I said getting up and hugging him.

“Please come with me. I don’t know what to do without you.”

“Oh Billie, you know I can’t go. Joey’s sick and the tour doesn’t call for sick children.”

He kissed my forehead. “I love you for not thinking of yourself before others.”

“It’s my adult life. I grew up you know…”

“Yeah.” He kissed Joey’s head and tickled his stomach as he giggled. A honk was heard outside and Billie grabbed his bags and dashed to the door with me right behind. He sat down his bags and kissed me. “I love you,” he said.

“I love you too.”

“And I love you,” he said talking like a baby to Joey. He giggled again and kissed me once more as I saw him get on the bus and wave goodbye. I didn’t know how to handle this. What about Joey? What would happen the next time Billie goes on tour and he remembers his dad won’t be there? I quickly changed and Joey and I went to the drug store to get some Children’s Tylenol and other necessities. Joey and I went back to the house and I gave him some medicine. “Are you feeling any better Joseph?”

“No.”

“Alright, time to nap.” I put him in his crib and stroked his head. “Night, night Joey.” I went down to the living room and turned on Insomniac to listen to every song. I hadn’t listened to it all yet. “I love this cover,” I said talking to myself.

-6:56 p.m. that night-

The home phone rang and I answered it. “Hello?”

“Addie!”

“Billie! Hi! Is something wrong?’

“No! We’re about to play! Turn on MTV!” he said loudly over the crowd.

“Ok?”

“Alight I’ve gotta go! Give Joey my love!” He hung up and I turned on the TV to MTV. A British reporter was talking in front of a small stage.

“In a matter of just a few minutes, Green Day will be playing on this very stage!” Well shit lady don’t soil yourself. Just as the clock hit 7:00 they came on the stage. The crowd of about 300 people went insane. Billie went to the microphone.

“How’s everybody doin’ tonight?” Screams. “I know we’re supposed to be playing Insomniac songs tonight, but I thought we’d start off with a song from our earliest record, 39/Smooth.” They went insane again as I saw Billie’s cute smiling face. “This song was written about my wife.” I saw him go over to Mike and whisper something in his ear as well as Tre. “This song’s called…The One I Want.” (shh…I stole this from Kia…don’t tell nobody…)

Sitting in my room last night
Staring at the mirror
I couldn't find a reason why
I couldn't be near her

'Cause you are the one that started
To make me feel this way
And every night I'm thinking
About the words you'd say

Pictures going through my mind
When we're together
All these long and sleepless nights
Will I ever get better

'Cause you are the one that started
To make me feel this way
And every night I'm thinking
About the words you'd say

Cause you are the one that I want
Cause you are the one that I want
Cause you are the one that I want
Cause you are the one that I want

Now you know how I feel
This love is forever
You make my life seem so unreal
Will I ever get better?

'Cause you are the one that started
To make me feel this way
And every night I'm thinking
About the words you'd say

Cause you are the one that I want
Cause you are the one that I want
Cause you are the one that I want
Cause you are the one that I want

Cause you are the one that I want
Cause you are the one that I want
Cause you are the one that I want
Cause you are the one that I want


I sat there thinking he wrote that for me when he was 18. He’s always loved me it seemed. I loved him to. Always and forever…