Life on Banana Street

Canada & Tre

-A Few Weeks Later-

My mom had gotten better about beating me. She rarely did it now. I missed having Billie as my neighbor though. Today, the people who bought the house would be moving in. I was kind of excited.

I was in my room practicing my drums when my mom called me down.

"Adeline! Get down here! The new neighbors arrived!"

I put down my sticks and ran downstairs, almost tripping.
My mom got the apple pie out of the oven. This was the only occasion she ever cooked. I had to go to Billie's or Jeff's to eat.
We came out of the door to find the hottest guy I've ever seen. He had greenish blonde hair. I could tell he was a swimmer. That's a good thing! Because I have a pool. Go me. He also had a sister. She was pretty. I think they were twins.
I went over there.

"Hi, I'm your neighbor Addie." I stuck my hand out to shake his hand.

"Hi, I'm Frank, but everyone calls me Tre."

"That's a cool name. Some people call me Hershey. So anyway, welcome to the neighborhood."

I totally forgot about his sister.

"Hi." I said once again sticking out my hand.

"Hi, I'm Kate." She said shaking back.

"Um my mom baked you an apple pie." I took the apple pie from her and she went back to the house.

"Oh, thank you." Tre said. It sounded so hot.

"Feel free to come over anytime to... chat or something."

"Ok, I'll keep that in mind." I turned away and headed back. "Hershey."

I faced him and smiled. "Bye, Tre."

-School-

"Ok, class. Take your seat," Mr. Hamilton said. "We have 2 new students today."
I wasn't paying attention to Mr. Hamilton; I was passing notes to Jeff. But when he said that, I instantly thought of Tre and... Oh screw it. I forgot her name.
I was right. Tre and his sister walked in. My heart was beating fast. I had butterflies in my stomach.

"Class, say hello to Frank and Kate. They moved here all the way from New York. Let's welcome them aboard."

"Frank, you can sit back by Adeline. Adeline raise your hand." Yeah, so I raised my hand... He smiled and went to the back of the class to sit by me.

"Hi Addie. You didn't tell me your name was Adeline. I like that name."

"Really? It annoys the hell out of me."

He laughed and turned his attention to the front.

"And Kate, you can sit next to Michael. Michael raise your hand." I saw her hurrying over there. I feel sorry for her. Mike sits by Nicky. He might eat her.

I was daydreaming, almost falling asleep when Jeff threw a paper ball at me.

"Hershey wake the fuck up!" He whispered to me.

"Huh?" Then, knowing Jeff, he passed me a note.

What the? How do you know...? Tree? You look in love back there. All daydreaming and shit. You make me sick. So anyway...wanna come over after school? I need help on the science study guide. YES JEFF NEEDS HELP GET OVER IT!

TRE is my new neighbor. I am not in love! I just think he's hot. Yeah I guess I'll come over. I have nothing better to do.

I glanced over at Tre. Man was he fine. He was drawing. Drawing what? Oh who gives a fuck?
I looked up at Mr. Hamilton. My eyes were raped.

"Addie."

"Yeah Tre?"

"What's the teacher's name?"

"Mr. Hamilton. He's a child molester."

"Wow. Mr. Hamilton!"

"Yes Tre?"

"That guy over there threw a paper ball at me saying he was gonna eat me."

"Who?"

He pointed at Nicky.

"Nicolas! What is your problem?"

"I got the runs."

"Go to the bathroom."

He got up which caused all the desks around him to move. He left and Mr. Hamilton got back with the lesson.

"So as I was saying, The Great Depression was a terrible time for the Africans. They got no respect. They were just-" He was cut off by the loudest grunt in history. Yep. Nicky was pooping. "God damnit!" Mr. Hamilton left the room to the bathroom across the hall and we heard every word.

"Nicolas E. David! What did I tell you about grunting while I was in the middle of an important lesson?"

"Sorry Mr. Hamilton."

"Please. Humor me."

"I said I was sorry."

"Yeah, Tre, that's life at our school."

He wasn't paying attention to me. He was looking past me at his sister with great frustration in his eyes.
I looked in his direction and immediately saw what she was staring at. Kate was kissing Mike.

"What the fuck?" I said aloud. Everyone was looking at me. Everyone except Mike and Tre's sister. They were still going at it.

Mr. Hamilton came back in the room. "Oh poop! First Nicky, now this? Kate! You're a new student!"

"Sorry, Mr. It's just that Michael here is so hot. I couldn't keep my eyes or lips off."

"Tre, your sister's a slut."

"Yeah I know. And it's always on the first day of school too."

"Whoa. I went out with someone near the beginning of school. We broke up."

"Oh my. Who was it?"

"He's at the front. The one with the reddish brown hair."

"Billie Joe?"

"Yeah. How do you know him?"

"Oh we go way back. I used to live here, and he was my only friend. Then I moved to New York."

"Cool. I've lived here all my life. That's why I'm so popular."

"Awesome! I'm friends with a popular person!"

"That's right bitch! You better believe it!"

"Adeline?"

"Yes Mr. Hamilton?"

"Mr. Fedie needs to see you."

"Ok. Do I need to take my things?"

"No. You'll be coming back in time."

I left and walked to Mr. Fedie's room.

"Mr. Fedie?"

"Oh, yes Addie. I need you to pick a person, any person, to help you to restock the vending machines. Nicky's getting cranky."

"Ok. Do you want me to bring back the person?"

"Yes please."

I left and guess who I picked. Jeff.

"Mr. Hamilton, Mr. Fedie needs to see Jeff too."

"Ok. Jeff, go with Adeline."

"Mmk." He got up and came back with me.

"So, what's this all about?"

"We have to restock the vending machines."

"Why should we do a favor for Nicky?"

"We don't have to take the Social Studies test."

"Where are the damn vending machines?"