Life on Banana Street

Jeff Visits

Billie had slept the night at home and they got back on the road early in the morning to make it to Utah by 5:00 p.m. tonight.

-A Few Weeks Later-

Joey gradually built body strength back up and he had added words to his vocabulary. I don’t know how, I never taught him anything. He was truly a gifted child. I missed Billie quite terribly though… He wouldn’t be home for another two months. I wondered how I could ever survive without him, then I flashed back to high school.

-High School-

I was sitting in 3rd period waiting for Tre to come back from the bathroom. I loved him more than anything in the world and I would do anything for him, as the same for him. Then Billie looked back at me and quickly turned to the front because he noticed I was looking at him. What a weirdo… Tre came back into the class and sat next to me. “Hey Babe,” he whispered and kissed my hand.

“Hi,” I said shyly.

“Everything ok?”

“Yeah fine, just a little tired.”

“Oh, go to sleep.”

“In class?”

“It’s study hall,” he said. “No one cares. I’ll wake you up when it’s time to leave.” I put my head down on my desk and daydreamt about me and Tre getting married. Oh, how I loved the thought of that. I hope that someday we would get married.

-End of Flashback-

As much as I despised the flashback nowadays…I knew that somewhere in my heart I still loved Tre. Somehow. The way he did he dumb jackass shit. But I know I love Billie more than anything. Because I brought him back to life just to be with him. The doorbell rang and I scuffled over to answer it in no hurry. “Oh hi Jeff,” I said quietly.

“Hiya. I was bored so I came over to see you.”

“Oh okay.” I moped back to the couch and turned on some soap opera, bringing my legs up to the couch. He jumped over the couch and landed beside me.

“You’re not still sad that Billie’s not here are you?”

“I dunno Jeff. I’m just semi-depressed because the house is colorless.”

“Oh okay,” he said sarcastically. What a dumbass. “You need to move on, Addie.”

“I can’t just move on. It’s not like he left me or anything…”

“I know, but-” Yes, yes Joey.

“Be right back.” I crawled up the stairs because I haven’t slept in days. So tired… “Joey, don’t…worry…Mom-” And that’s when I fell asleep. A few hours later, I woke up and Jeff was in the rocking chair trying to get Joey to sleep. “Jeff? What are you doing?”

“You’re perfect son can’t sleep.”

“Here, hand him to me.” He gave me Joey and as soon as he was in my arms, he fell asleep.

“How did you do that?” Jeff asked in amazement.

“He just doesn’t like you.”

Jeff rolled his eyes. “Whatever. Hey, I’m late, I have to meet my girlfriend at the coffee shop.”

“Girlfriend? Are you sure you don’t mean Mom?”

“Why would I want to meet my dog at the coffee shop?” We laughed at our inside joke from middle school. “Alright, well I gotta go, see ya Ads.”

“Kay.” He left and I put Joey down in his crib as he slept.

-2 Months Later-

I was watching Blue’s Clues with Joey. I think that’s how he learned how to speak. All of a sudden, Billie came in the door and immediately started kissing me. “Woah, can I put Joey away before we do this?”

“You don’t understand, I have urges. I almost fucked Tre.”

“Wow. Well let me put Joey in his bed and I’ll meet you in the bedroom.” He flew up the stairs. I was calming down Joey when he grabbed my waist from behind and kissed my neck several times. I turned around and we kissed on the lips and I walked him to the bedroom. And it happened. SEX.

“Addie, you don’t know how long I’ve waited to do that.”

“2 months.”

“Yeah pretty much. That can kill a person.” I laughed.

“But I’m glad it didn’t,” I said. He kissed me again and we eventually went to sleep that night. Like hours later.