Life on Banana Street

Carly and Tre

-Flashback-

“Mom, I don’t know how to say this, but…”

“You slut! You’re pregnant!”

“Mom, please, I didn’t mean to.”

“So…You think you could just come to me in jail and tell me that? It’s a good thing I’m in here because if I were on the other side, I wouldn’t tear you apart.” I looked down at the ground.

“I’m sorry, M-”

“Don’t apologize to me! Apologize to yourself because you just messed up your body.” There was a silence as I was about to walk away. “Wait, you’re not leaving. You’re never going back to that school, girl, ya hear?” What? She can’t do that to me!

“Yeah. I hear.”

-End of Flashback-

I woke up in a cold sweat and I looked beside me and Billie was sleeping soundly. What the fuck is up with all these flashbacks? I went downstairs to get some coffee and watch a little TV since it was already 5:43. What moved my eyes from the TV was Joey. Walking down the stairs. “Joey?!” I said excitedly.

“Mommy!” He waddled towards me and I put my coffee on the table. I picked him up and kissed his cheek.

“Joey, how did you do that?”

“Daddy,” he said quietly. I stood there for a moment.

“Want some breakfast?” An excited expression was on his face as he violently nodded his head. “Alright, alright.” I took him into the kitchen and sat him down on a chair as I got some eggs out of the refrigerator. About 5 minutes later, the smell of eggs brought Billie down. “Mornin’ hun,” he said coming over to me and kissing my cheek.

“Morning.”

“And how’s my Joseph been?” he said walking over to him and picking him up.

“Okay,” Joey said.

“He’s speaking again?” Billie asked looking at me.

“Yeah. You just can’t stop speaking.” I was moving the eggs around the pan until they were good and ready. “Joey, why don’t you tell Daddy what you did this morning.”

“Walk,” he said.

“You walked? Where did you walk?”

“Stairs.” He looked at me again.

“He walked downstairs?

“Yeah, what’s wrong with that?”

“Nothing, nothing at all.” Billie put Joey back down at his seat and got out some orange juice for him. “Ads, want coffee or what?”

“No, I’m good. I had coffee a few minutes ago. Juice would be fine.” I finished the eggs and scooped some on all of our plates. “Just think Billie, one day, we’ll be adding a new plate to these three.”

He stopped gorging himself and said, “You’re pregnant?” really excitedly.

“No, I’m saying one day.” I smiled as he squinted playfully back at me and continued stuffing his face.

“Mommy, TV,” Joey said.

“TV? What do you want to watch?”

“Blue Clue!”

“Alright, let’s go.” I picked him up and acted like he was a plane and we crashed on the couch. Billie crashed next to us as he put his head on my hip bone.

“3 plane crash!” Billie yelled as Joey giggled. Billie rolled off the couch to get the remote on the TV and he turned it on. “What is this crap?” he asked.

“I don’t know.” We were watching the TV and some presidential thing was on every channel.

“Bill Clinton is making a speech how wonderful he thinks it is to be president,” said a reporter.

“Aren’t you happy, Billie? Because Bush doesn’t have office anymore?”

“Oh I love it.” He sat back down next to me and took Joey and played with him in his lap.

“I’m just so glad you’re home,” I said almost crying.

“What’s wrong?” he asked running his fingers through my hair.

“Nothing, it’s just hard being away from the one you love for so long,” I said and he put his head next to mine.

“I know. Leaving you was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Come with us next time.”

“I don’t know, Bill. Because I don’t know what I’ll be doing. And then Kate has to be supported when Mike is gone.” He sighed.

“Hey, whatever happened to your job?”

“Hmm…I don’t know. They never called me. I don’t really wanna work now, though. I want to stay at home with you.” He smiled ruthlessly and kissed next to my eye. Joey scrambled out of Billie’s grasp and went behind the couch to play with his toys. “I love him, Bill.”

“I love him, too. I’m so glad he’s ours.”

“Why wouldn’t he be ours?” I asked looking befuddled at him.

“I’m just saying…”

“Oh. Yeah I wouldn’t know what to do if things weren’t so perfect,” I said putting my head on his shoulder.
“Me either.” Somewhere, I drifted off into a deep sleep.

-Flashback, Tre’s POV-

I had made a candlelight dinner for Addie. Tonight was the night that I would ask her to marry me. I love her more than anything. The doorbell rang. That’s odd… I opened the door. “Carly? What are you doing here?”

“Oh, I was looking for Addie. Is she around?”

“Uh no. I was just waiting for her to come home,” I said scratching my head.

“Oh, well do you mind if I come in and wait?”

“No. Come on in.” I stepped aside and she walked to the couch and bent down, revealing her cleavage as I snapped out of whatever trance I was in.

“So, Tre,” Carly said smiling as I came in and sat down.

“So Carly,” I retorted.

“How is yours and Addie’s relationship?” Why does she want to know?

“Um pretty good, pretty good. Tonight, I’m gonna pop the question.”

“Aw that is so sweet,” she said putting her hand over her heart. I smiled and she dropped something and crawled on the floor. Wearing a short dress, I couldn’t snap out of it.

“Uh Carly, could you leave? I kinda need to get the house ready for her.”

“Oh, I’ll help. You mind if I change?”

“No, not at all.” She walked upstairs and I put my head straight forward other than looking up her dress. Stop it Tre! Stop! I peeked through the small door crack and could see her lifted her dress off and putting on some of Addie’s short shorts. I couldn’t help it. I went upstairs and opened the door more, as she turned around and smiled.

“Tre, what are you doing up here?” How the fuck did I get up here! Go back down! Go!

“Uh…” She seductively walked towards me, still with no shirt on and kissed me. “Carly, I don’t think we should do this. Addie will be home any minute.”

“Relax Tre, take it easy. And let Carly take care of you.”