Life on Banana Street

Eloping

I woke up to Joey pulling on my robe. “What is it Sweetie?” I asked without opening my eyes.

“Daddy not here.” I opened my eyes.

“Where did he go?” He shrugged. “Oh, well sit up here for a sec, ok?” He jumped up on the couch and I went and got the phone. I dialed his number, but his cell phone was in the kitchen. Asshole. “Joey, wanna go to the store with Mommy?” He had no other option, I just had to quiz him.

“Yeah!”

“Alright.” I picked him up and took him up into the bedroom so he could watch TV while I got ready in the bathroom. I was putting on some eye liner when I heard the front door shut. “Addie?” I heard from a distance.

“Up here!” I yelled. Billie came into the room with a brown sack. I turned to him with only one eye with make up on.

“What’s in the bag?”

“You know, stuff for tonight.” He walked towards me and grabbed my waist, holding me close to him. Billie pecked me several times.

“That’s going to have to wait. I have to go to the store and get food for your hungry ass.” He smiled.

“That’s what I’m good for.” He kissed me again and lied behind Joey watching Nick Jr. with him.

“Hey, Bill, can you do me a favor and pick something out for me to wear.”

“Sure…” he said mischievously.

“Thanks Hun.” I finished my eyes, which was all I ever did make up wise and went into the bedroom laughing. “Billie, you really want me to wear that?”

“Yeah.” He had picked out my exact outfit I had worn in high school, the day we all graduated and went out to eat. “I hope it still fits.”

“Of course it does, it was only 6 years ago.”

“Exactly.” I put on the clothes and they fit the exact same. “Wow, Bill. I could pass for a teenager. Why don’t you put on some of your high school clothes and we’ll go to the store together.” He dug through his drawers and the closet and found some clothes he had about 6 ½ years ago.

“Alright, let’s go.” He grabbed Joey and we got in the car.

-The Store-

No one recognized Billie because he looked so young. We looked like some punk teenagers with a kid. Typical. When we went to check out, I handed the cashier my card and she rubbed her eyes, not believing I was who I said I was. Wow that was an experience.

-Back Home-

Joey had fallen asleep in the car ride home so I went and put him in his bed. Billie immediately started. “Holy shit, Bill.” He smiled and continued kissing me and so on…

-5:10 p.m.-

Billie and I were in bed watching TV when the phone rang. “I’ll get it.” I walked downstairs to the phone. “Hello?”

“Addie! Guess what!”

“What.”

“I got married!”

“Kate, what do you mean you got married, what about planning everything?”

“I couldn’t do it anymore! But Mikey here had a wonderful idea to elope!” She laughed/screamed like she just got tickled or something.

“Ok. Have you told Tre yet?”

“Oh Hell no. No wonder what he’s going to do to Mike.” I laughed at the thought.

“Alright, well want me to come over?”

“No, we’re in Las Vegas.” Oh well that’s white trash.

“Wait, where’s your black kid?”

“He’s at home with my parents.” This world was messed up.

“Addie! Get in here now!” Billie yelled.

“Kate, I gotta go.”

“Alright bye!” I sprinted into the bedroom but Billie wasn’t in there.

“Where are you?”

“Joey’s room! Hurry!” I ran into his room and Billie was on the floor with Joey.

“What happened?”

“Joey stopped breathing.”