Life on Banana Street

On the Road

-Flashback, Billie’s POV-

Addie just left here to go to college. About 5 hours ago. I love her so much. I think she does too, referring to last night. I smiled, remembering the night. Someone knocked on the door. “Pete, what are you doing here?”

“Oh, you know. Just hangin’ out.” His hand was behind his back, like he was holding something.

“What are you doing?” He stabbed me several times and left me bleeding, slowly, coming to my death.

-End of Flashback-

I hadn’t slept in 18 hours and I was waiting desperately by the phone until finally, it rang. “Hello?” I said before the first ring was over.

“Mrs. Armstrong this is Joseph’s doctor, Dr. Young. I’m calling to tell you that everything went fine with little Joseph and he is now better than ever.” Relief took over my whole body.

“What was his problem?” I asked concerned.

“He had a slight panic attack and couldn’t get back to his self again. It happens every once in a while.” Ok then. Baby Mike…

“So he is fine right now?”

“Sure is. But I’m going to have to tell you that he’ll have to be here for a few more days. There’s nothing to worry about.” We hung up about a minute later and I ran up to the bedroom where Billie was sleeping and jumped on top of him, kissing his neck.

“Woah! Someone’s happy…”

“The hospital called and they said Joey was fine.”

“See, I told you things would be okay.” I pecked him again and he grabbed my waist and made me lay down in his arms.

-A Few Days Later-

Joey was back at home and I was extra careful of what he did, but I wasn’t obsessive compulsive with him. The phone rang. “Hello?”

“Adeline Armstrong?”

“Yeah, who’s calling?”

“This is Michelle Thibodaux from the mall. I’m calling about your job.”

“Oh, yes what about it?”

“It seems that there were other applicants that had actual interviews and we’re over stocked right now and I’m sorry to say that you didn’t get the job.” Whatever I don’t care.

“Oh, ok.” I hung up and turned around, as Billie was in my face. “Hi?” He kissed me and took me into the bedroom and you know what happened…[huh huh]

-The Next Morning-

I never felt anything. I don’t know why I wasn’t getting pregnant. Someone burst through the door. “ADDIE!” They ran upstairs and stopped at the door, leaning on it out of breath.

“Man, Kate. You’re really out of shape.”

“Shut…Up…”

“What did you come here for?” I asked after she had collapsed on the floor.

“Is…Joey okay?”

“He’s fine now.” She pushed herself up off the floor as Billie woke up.

“What’s going on?” he asked rubbing his eyes.

“Nothing, just with my girlfriend,” I said sarcastically and walked over to Kate and held her head. He put his head back down on the pillow.

“Hello Aunt Kate,” said Joey from behind us.

“Oh hi Joey!” she picked him up. “Are you feeling better?” He nodded heavily. What a head banger. The 10:00 radio blasted on. “GOOD MID-MORNING BERKELEY! YOU ARE TUNED INTO 95.5 THE ARROW!” Well shit, you don’t have to fucking yell it. It scared Joey so I walked over to it and turned it down.

“So Kate,” I said after we had walked downstairs.

“What?”

“How was the marriage?”

“INCREDIBLE!” she shouted like she was having an orgasm.

“Woah.”

She smiled and blushed. “Well it was.”

“Are you going to regret this in five days?” I asked, tapping my finger on the counter, laid back.

“Most likely. But you can’t tell me that you and Billie never fight.”

“Well no, but…”

“Then we’ll be just fine,” she said taking a long sip of coffee. Billie eventually came downstairs and sat next to me on the bench of the table.

“What’s for breakfast?”

“It’s 11:00...” I said, looking at him like he was crazy.

“So? When I wake up, that’s breakfast time.”

“Ok…” I scooted out from the table and looked in the fridge.

“There’s no food in here. Billie, why did you eat all of it?”

“I don’t eat anything unless you cook it.” Was that a compliment or laziness? Whatever. I got out frozen hash browns and somewhat broken eggs.

“These hash browns aren’t gonna be done until noon, Bill. You sure you just don’t want to go to Burger King or wait until noon to have lunch?”

“I’ll wait…”

“There are two different wait choices,” I said closing the refrigerator door.

“Wait until lunch.”

“Alright.” Right before lunch was ready, Kate left to take Joey to her house to play with Smokey.

“Addie, you know since…Joey’s gone,” he started and grabbed my waist.

I put my arms around his neck. “Yes…?” He kissed me.

“Billie…” I said weirdly. “You naughty boy.” He smiled and kissed me again.

“I’ve been very bad. I think I need to be punished.”

“I would say you do.” He picked me up and carried me into the bedroom. And then, it happened, unprotected… SEX. Billie was kissing my nose repeatedly. I sighed.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“Life. It’s too perfect. I mean,” I turned over on my side and faced him, propping my head up with my arm. “I liked the old days where when we did have sex, we would always dread about our parents finding out. Now it’s just no fun.”

“Do you want our parents to sleep in the same house as us?” he said sarcastically.

“No. But you know what I mean.”

He nodded. “But I would never know because…” he became quiet.

“Because what?”

He looked away. “You. Were my…first time. That night we conceived Joey.”

I chuckled. “Oh Billie.”