Life on Banana Street

Cloud Nine

We had finished out dinner and waiting for a check. Billie kissed the top of my head and he was tapping his fingers on the table. “Oh my God. This place is so slow. I asked for a check 20 minutes ago,” Billie said agitated.

“Just be patient, hun-”

“No! I will get the check when I ask for the check!” He got out of the booth and walked around the other side to the front desk. “Excuse me, I need a check.”

“Just a momento, señor.”

“No, I want it el now-o!” The waiter looked at him and continued writing whatever he was writing.

“No check if you gonna talk li’ t’at.” Uh oh. Billie grabbed the piece of paper and ripped in into pieces.

“Give me the damn check before I leave without paying. Which I’m pretty close to doing!” The waiter grabbed the phone on the wall and said, “Security.” But Billie still didn’t budge. Pretty soon, some guys came into the area he was in and took him outside.

I went to the waiter and said, “I am so sorry.” I followed the guys outside.

“Miss, are you with him?”

“Yeah,” I said even though I didn’t want to. One of the guys beckoned for me to come over to him.

“I’m sorry to have to ask you to pay a fine of 50$ so he can go free tonight.” I rolled my eyes and got out my wallet.

“Here,” I said then gave him the money. The two guys left and left Billie on the sidewalk, sitting down. “Billie how could you be such an ass?!”

“I wanted a check…!”

“Really? I didn’t notice.” He snickered and got his keys out of his pocket.

“Let’s go.” We got in the car and that’s when I had a flashback.

-Flashback-

I was holding on to Tre as we walked around the park. “Hey Addie…” he said slowly.

“Yeah?”

“Do you ever think where you’d be without your soul mate?”

“Not really. But I can’t imagine life without you.”

“I can’t imagine life without you either. You are the one that I want to hold every day that I’m not good enough for. And just appreciate every waking second I’m with you.”

“Tre, you’re too good to me. You talk so nice to me. I’m the one that doesn’t deserve you,” I said holding on to him tighter. We sat down on the bench and he held his arm around me. He kissed the top of my head then stroked my hair with his free arm.

“What’s important is that we have each other and that’s all that matters.”

“Yeah. I’m never gonna leave you,” I said and thought about our lives 5 years in the future. Marriage? Break up? Kids?! Whatever lies ahead, I was glad I would be with Tre.

-End of Flashback-

We were back at the house and I threw his pillow down the stairs. “You’re sleeping on the couch tonight,” I said from the top of the stairs.

“What the fuck did I do?”

“Hmm…Where should I start?” I said going a few stairs down. “You made a complete idiot out of yourself in Berkeley’s finest restaurant; Got taken outside by the cops; I had to pay $50 just to make them let you go. Do you know how embarrassing that was for me?”

“No.”

“Of course you don’t. Because you don’t care about anyone but yourself.” I slammed the door and crawled into bed. I turned on the TV and I saw some documentary on Green Day on MTV.

“…Billie Joe Armstrong has his share of moments as well as the infamous Tre Cool…” CLICK! I turned off the TV and rolled over on my side. My ass he has moments. He just fucking had one. And let me guess. It’s going to be all over the news tomorrow. In my dream, all that went through my head was Tre. I had barely heard from Tre anymore. Good. I don’t want to catch the stupid. I saw the door creak open and light shone in in one line.

“Mommy?” I heard and turned back over.

“Yes Sweetie?”

“Why is Daddy downstairs?” he asked and walked slowly over to the edge of the bed. I can’t explain to him what happened…He’s too young and innocent.

“Nothing, Joey. He just felt like sleeping downstairs.” He climbed onto the bed and quickly fell asleep as soon as he hit Billie’s other pillow.

-The Next Morning-

I walked downstairs and Billie was flipping through the channels until he stopped when he heard his name. “…Billie Joe Armstrong, lead singer of Green Day, makes a scene at Tripson Restaurant last night…”

“Ah shit,” Billie said and rose up.

“I told you this was gonna happen,” I said knowingly.

“Don’t start that shit on me.”

“You have too many mood swings,” I said like I looked at a dead animal. “First you were sad, then you were loving, now you’re pissed.”

“Whatever.” He put his hands behind his head and looked out the window. “You know what? What happened to that talk about us having another baby?” he asked in a daze.

“I don’t know and I don’t really want to talk about it.” He looked over to me and gave me heartbreak eyes.

“But will we have one? Again?”

“Definitely.”