Life on Banana Street

When We Die

There’s a part of someone that no one knows it’s there. You can feel it, but you can’t describe it. And that’s exactly what I’m feeling. The protons, neutrons and electrons are flashing through my body and I’m the only one that can stop it, but I can’t. I’m getting old. Joey’s almost 2 now, and I feel ancient. Billie, on the other hand looks great for his age. It makes me jealous. I walked down the stairs, my knees popping from the oldness. Greaaaaaaaat. “Hun?” Billie called from the kitchen.

“Yeah?”

“I need you to do something for me.” I finished walking down the last few steps and Billie greeted me at the bottom.

“What’s that?”

“I feel selfish,” he started and looked anywhere but at me. “So I need you to go spend time with a very special person.” I stared at him through narrowed eyes.

“And who would that be?” I asked agitated on the slight chance I already knew who. He stared at me defensively and calmly replied, “Tre.” I knew it. I knew it.

“Did he call you and say that or is this one of the many things out of the kindness of your heart?” Heavy sarcasm.

“I swear it’s from the kindness of my…somewhat heart.” I rolled my eyes and loped back up the stairs to get ready for the long day ahead of me.

****

I regretfully knocked on Tre’s door, hoping he wasn’t even home. What am I thinking? I love Tre, I’m just not ready for Pee-Wee’s Playhouse. For some strange reason, I could picture Tre in a gray suit and red bowtie yelling when someone said the secret word. I laughed to myself as I heard unlocking of the deadbolts and a grand finale of opening the door. “Addie, what are you doing here?” Be careful, don’t say anything to upset him.

“Just wanted to drop by for a while. Long time, no…see I guess.” He smiled cheekily and stood to the side as if to let me in.

“I’m glad you decided to come see me. No one rarely comes to see me. Just Bill and Mike.”

“Oh, that’s too bad. It’s just that I’ve been caught up with Joey and Billie’s fame.” Tre had a mocking smile on his face and he put his hands on my shoulders; the portal of another flashback.

-Flashback-

Tre and I walked into 5th period and took our seats, as the bell rang. “Alright class, take everything off your desks we’re having a guest speaker today…” Mr. Terrell droned. Tre nudged my shoulder and smiled.

“What?” I whispered. He took a piece of paper out of his binder and scratched in his clumsy scrawl a note.

Look at this fag coming in the door =)

I looked appalled at him and wrote:

That’s not very nice Tre. But he does look gay.

Oh man look at that midget that’s with him! Holy shit!


Tre scrawled onto the paper and I looked up and stifled a laugh.

That’s his son, babe.

I saw Tre look up from my peripheral vision and throw his head back, silently laughing. Mr. Terrell came back to the corner where we were stationed at seized the paper, reading it and crumpling it up. Wow. What good that does. I put my binder on the floor and Tre grabbed my hand and kissed it. He held onto my hand until the class ended.

-End of Flashback-

I came back into reality. “Addie? Are you okay?” Tre said, his voice concerned. I blinked a few times and took a deep breath.

“Yeah, yeah…Fine.” He smiled again.

“Oh shit, I’m being rude, would you like anything to eat or drink?” I shook my head and plopped on the couch. Tre sat next to me and turned the TV onto some reality show. He kept peeking over at me every few seconds to see if I was staring. “Um…Addie? There’s kind of something I wanted to talk to you about…”

-Billie’s POV-

I was pleased with myself that I made Addie get out of the house with someone besides me. She needs some time with her friends, if that’s what she considered Tre. Or more. I better call and check and see if Tre’s still alive. I reached for the phone and it was already ringing. “Hello?”

“Mr. Armstrong?” I waited a moment before I considered continuing the conversation.

“Yes…”

“This is Dr. Rangel. I was just calling to make sure Adeline is feeling well.”

“Oh yeah. She’s fine. Normal, mostly.”

“Mostly?” Dr. Rangel questioned.

“Nothing out of the ordinary, just we’ve been yelling a lot.” There was a long pause.

“That is not good for her condition. Make sure you take it slow with her, but don’t make it dramatic. If she is too stressed, that could possibly make her life already shorter than 2 years.” I shuddered at his utter sheerness. “Is that clear, Mr. Armstrong?”

I paused and swallowed back tears. “Crystal, sir.”

“And another thing, tell her…When you think she’s ready.” I nodded even though he couldn’t tell.

“Alright.”

“I’ll see you in a few weeks, Mr. Armstrong.”

“Yeah.” I hung up and choked back even more tears. Just the thought of my Addie dying in less than 2 years… It was criminal. But I don’t want to tell her. She’s not ready. That’s when I screwed up. Addie busted into the door.

“BILLIE!!!” Shit. What the fuck did I do?

“Yes hun?” I tried to be calm.

“DON’T TALK TO ME LIKE THAT YOU ARROGANT SON OF A BITCH!” I walked to where I was facing her and I grabbed her shoulders.

“Calm down, babe, now calmly explain to me what I did.” Tears streamed down her face and she almost exploded with tears.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” she wheezed in a whiny tone. Shit. Did I tell something Tre I didn’t mean to?

“Tell you what, babe?” She covered her nose and mouth and she clamped her eyes shut. She blew out her breath unsteadily.

“Th-hat I-I wa-s g-gonna d-d-d…” She paused. “Die.” I wiped my fingers across her face to wipe the tears.

“Shh…I didn’t want to tell you right away. It would get you scared and I couldn’t stand to see you like that. But I guess it’s too late.”

“S-so you th-thought you co-uld t-tell Tre and you c-could trust h-im?”

“I never told anyone, Addie. Tre’s just a nosy bitch.” She faked a smile and shoved her face into my chest. I rubbed her back gently as she made my shirt wet with tears.

“H-ow lo-ng d-do I have?” She stuttered.

“Not long enough.”