Life on Banana Street

Quench Your Thirst

Another sentimental argument and bitter love
Fucked without a kiss again dragged it through the mud
Yelling at brick walls and punching windows made of stone
The worry rock has turned to dust fallen on our pride

A knocked down dragged out fight
Fat lips and open wounds
Another wasted night an no one will take the fall

Where do we go from here
And what did you do with the directions
Promise me no dead end streets
And I'll guarantee we'll have the road

A knocked down dragged out fight
Fat lips and open wounds
Another wasted night no one will take the fall

Another sentimental argument and bitter love
Fucked without a kiss again dragged it through the mud
Where do we go from here
And what did you do with the directions
Promise me no dead end streets
And I'll guarantee we'll have the road
And I'll guarantee we'll have the road
And I'll guarantee we'll have the road

A knock came on the door and I sat down my guitar to tend to it, but Addie already came in. “Hey babe.”

“Hey.”

“What’s wrong?” she asked, walking over to me.

I shrugged. “Nothing. Just making songs.”

She nodded. “I see. Well, I better get out of your hair so you can think better.”

“No, you don’t have to go. I was just finishing up a song I wrote the other day.”

“Oh. Could I hear it?”

“Of course.”

I played her the song as she sat down on a cushion. “I liked it. I really like it.”

“I’m glad you think so,” I said and smiled.

“Billie…?”

“Yeah?”

“What are you…worried about?” she asked carefully.

“Nothing. Just…”

“Yes?”

“I don’t know how to put it. But, I guess I could only understand.” She looked so heart-broken. I don’t know why. She was just so sullen today. She nodded as she got off the cushion.

“Well, I was going to take Joey to Toys ‘R’ Us so I can get an idea of what he wanted for his birthday next week. Did you want to come?”

“Oh, yeah sure…” I set down my guitar again and when I looked back up, she was crying. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Billie, could I ask you something?”

“Anything,” I walked over to her and placed my hand on her shoulder.

“Could you…play me a song. You know, one of mine?” Addie was crying and smiling at the same time.

“What, of course.” I didn’t dare ask why she had the sudden spike in music, but I played the intro of The One I Want. When I was through playing the song, she stood up and hugged me like it was the last time she saw me.

“Billie, I’m so scared. I just had a flash that you were going to…leave me.”

I was rubbing her back then I looked her sternly in the eyes. “What would make you think that? That horrible thought hasn’t even entered my mind.” She burst out in tears.

“That’s what you said before you left. I mean, I don’t know what to do, Billie. Am I not pleasing you? Do I spend too much time with you? Do I spend not enough time with you? Do-”

I cut her off. “You’re perfect. Stop worrying. I’m never leaving. Not now, not ever.”