Life on Banana Street

Tre & Addie

-A Few Days Later-

Tre and I were walking around school holding each others hands. It was almost Christmas break, so Tre let me wear his hoodie while he wore a different jacket. I had his AC/DC hoodie. I looked so tight. With the holes in the spots where you could put your thumbs. I could tell Billie was jealous. I didn't want him to be, really. But why did he have to break up with me? Oh well, I've moved on. With the funniest and hottest guy ever.

"Tre baby, wanna come over after school?"

"What else would I be doing?"

"I don't know, something along the lines of buying me a Christmas present."

"I already have. Have you boughten mine?"

"But of course," I said near his throat then I kissed his cheek.

He was about to kiss me back when someone punched his back. Billie. He turned around and was more pissed than ever. "Billie? Why did you do that?"

"You're kissing my girl!" There was a circle around them like a fight circle. Everyone was yelling "Fight Fight Fight!"

Everyone except Nicky. He was screaming "Food Food Food!"

"You dumped her, dumbass! Now she's mine!"

"She loved me first!"

He couldn't take it any more. Tre threw the first punch which knocked Billie out of his normal fight stance. He got back in position and they were fighting again. Mike, the baby that he is, ran to get the principal, Mr. McCord. "Break it up!" He pulled Billie back and pushed him against the lockers. "Everyone go to class!"
Everyone was moving along. Everyone but me. I was hiding behind the corner.

"Mr. Armstrong, what do you think you're doing?"

"I got jealous that's all."

"Jealous of what?"

"A guy going out with my ex-girlfriend."

"You need to control your anger. There are counseling classes you can sign up for, but in the meantime, come back to my office, I need to have a talk with you."

I was playing with the holes in my jeans then headed back to class when I heard the office door shut.

"Addie! Why were you late?"

"Sorry Mr. Fedie. I was in the bathroom."

"Ok. Just take a seat."

I sat down by Tre and everyone had there eyes on me, except Nicky. He was staring at his food. "Where were you really?" Tre whispered to me.

"I was listening to the conversation Mr. McCord had with Billie."

"What did he say."

"Nothing important."

"It had to be important if you stayed behind."

"It was nothing I swear."

-Christmas-

I walked downstairs expecting to see nothing. And guess what I saw. Absolutely nothing. "Hi mom," I said passing the kitchen.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"I don't know. Probably wandering around the house."

"I don't think so. Get your ass in here now."

"Um ok?"

I got in the kitchen and she pulled out a shit load of presents. Just for me. My brother had moved out and he never wanted back. My sister did the same thing.

"Whoa!" I ran into the kitchen and opened the biggest one. "Oh my God! A stereo! Thank you so much Mom!"

"You're welcome."

I got through the whole thing which was about 20 presents and called Tre and told him what I got. "Oh my God! You got all that? That's gonna make my present look like shit."

"I bet it won't."

"I bet it will. Come on over and see."

"Ok, I'll put on some clothes and head on over."

"I'd rather see you in your pajamas."

"I'd rather you not. Oh! I'll change into my Spider-Man pants, a Van Halen shirt, and your AC/DC hoodie."

"Sounds hot. See you in a bit."

"Bye, babe love you."

"Bye, love you too."

I changed into what I said and headed over there. I rang the doorbell.

"Hey baby! You look hot!"

"Thanks! You're not looking too bad yourself."

"That's right. Well, come on in."

I went in and he took me to his room. "Here." I took the present and opened it. "I told you it'd look like crap next to your other presents."

I started crying.

"Ok, it's not that bad."

"No, it's not that. It's the effort you put into it. Tre, I love it. I love you."

"I'm glad to hear that. I love you too. Where's mine?"

"Here." I handed it to him while appreciating the 24 karat gold necklace with my name in green jewels. 'Adeline'

He opened his and I saw the look of surprise in his eyes.

"Addie, you shouldn't have."

"You told me you wanted it in the mall."

"Addie, you don't know what this means to me. It's all of the AC/DC CD's in one package. I love you."

We moved closer, slowly. We kissed.

"Man, this is the best Christmas ever." Tre said.

I smiled and laughed to myself then we kissed again.

After a little while, we were making out to an AC/DC song. Then his mom walked in. "Oh... my... God... "

"Mom! Sorry!"

"No, no, it's ok. It's just that... breakfast's ready."

"Oh. Ok. We'll be down in a bit."

We went downstairs and sat down at the table. We held hands under the table so no one could see. Like it would make a difference.

-Back At Home-

I walked in the door. "Mom!"

"What is it honey?"

"Look what Tre got me."

I showed her the necklace and she admired it greatly. "Tre was a better choice than that old Bollie something or other."

"It was Billie. And yeah. I regret ever dating him. We never really did anything. We never went anywhere. It was boring."

"I'm proud of you for choosing a real man instead of that... thing."

"He's not a thing. He's bisexual. It's not like he killed someone."

"I know, but still, it's gross."

"It's not gross. He's still a human being."

"Whatever. Just go up to your room and set up everything you got."

"Mom."

"What?"

"Can I paint my room?"

"That depends. What color?"

"Lime green. Then do the edges black."

"I guess. It seems ok."

"Thanks mom."

I walked upstairs and put together everything I got, but first, I put on my necklace and stared out my window at Tre's room. Every once in a while, he'd stare back and mouth things like "I love you.", "You're sexy." Stuff like that.
I reached for the pile of rocks by the window, picked one up, and threw it at his window.
His head peaked from under the blinds then he smiled at me. I waved to him and he mouthed something but I couldn't tell what. Finally, he wrote it on a piece of paper and stuck it up to the window. 'Nicky's at your doorstep'
My heart stopped and I told him I'd be right back. I went downstairs and opened the door. No Nicky.
What laid there instead was a package. I picked it up and it was quite heavy. I took it upstairs and showed it to Tre and he looked clueless. I figured he put it there.
I opened it and I was totally wrong. It was from Billie. I stared at the contents inside. Inside was a note, a big heart filled with chocolate, flowers, and a pack of black Sharpies. My mouth was wide open. I didn't know what to say. I looked over at Tre and I told him to come over.
He came over and came in my room.

"Look at this."

I emptied the contents on the bed. He was as stunned as I was.

"Whoa. He must really want you back. Read the note while I eat your chocolate."

"No! You can have 2 pieces but that's it."

He took 2 pieces out and I took the box so he couldn't take anymore.

Dear Adeline,
I know we broke up, but I want you to have the best Christmas ever. I bet my gift wasn't as great as Tre's but at least this came from my heart. I will always love you Adeline. If we ever break apart, you know where to come find me. My house unless my band makes it big. Tre teaching John is working out great so we can probably make our first album when we turn 18. That's how good things are going. Thank Tre for me. He knows I hate him, but I just want you to thank him for me. I'll never forget you. If you're wondering why I'm writing this letter, it's because I'm moving again. To a different school district to start off the year clean. No one will know what I'm like. I know your number, so I'll call you sometime.
Love Always,
Billie


"Wow. This is a really good letter."

"Let me read it."

"No." I said jerking it away. "Mine."

"Fine! Be that way!" He said acting like a gay guy.

I laughed and he pulled me down on my bed and kissed me quickly.

"Yeah you would kiss me."

"I would. Oh yeah, here's Kate's present to you." He handed me a small box.

Inside lay another note and a ring that said Friend! With a green heart on it.

I read the note.

Yeah, so I got the 'Best' one. No one gets the 'Forever' one because they're not part of the Shiite like you and me.
Anyway, come over anytime -Canada


"Yeah! I got a ring!"

"And a necklace. Don't forget the necklace."

"Never."