Life on Banana Street

Happy 720

“What do you mean you’ll be staying here for 2 weeks? What’s wrong with your house?” I asked.

She shrugged. “I just wanted to spend a little quality time with my baby sister!” She put her arm around me and squeezed while I was trying to get free.

“Heh. Um, let me show you to your…room.” She went ahead of me and up the stairs while I looked at Billie and made my eyes wide. Don’t get me wrong, I love my sister, but I’m going to have to tell her everything that has fricken happened since she left. Two weeks isn’t long enough. She stopped at the top of the stairs and made room for me to pass so I could guide her to her room. I passed our bedroom and Joey’s room and stopped at the end of the hallway, what used to be her room.

“That is so cute! It’s my old room! What have you done with it?”

Well first we turned it into a stripper joint then Joey kept running into the poles so we had to take it out, then it became a bar…

“Nothing, still the same.”

She walked past me into her old room and set down her bags on the bed. I was so small compared to her. She was one of those ladies that is like 6 feet tall and has really big man feet and fits them into wedge heels and has no ass, wears that one skirt that’s always a little bit crooked, the hugest boobs covered up by the sleeveless turtleneck sweater and a gaudy brooch necklace, fake blonde hair teased to the nth degree. Yeah that is totally my sister. Me, however, not over 5’3, wears sneakers all my life, jeans that look like I paid a couple hundred dollars for them, but really I’ve just been wearing them a long time, T-shirts for life, and hair as straight as a pin, and yet we have the same father…

“Mommy! Mommy!” Joey yelled from behind me.

“Hey Sweetie! When did you get home?”

“Jus’ now. Martin’s mom dropped me off.”

“Oh, okay. I didn’t realize that you got out so early…Joey, this is your Aunt Hannah.”

She smiled and knelt down to the ground and held out her arms. “Come here Sweetie Pie.”

Joey moved a little closer to me and I sat cross-legged on the floor so I could be eye level. “Mommy,” he said again.

“Yes?”

“I want the Batman movie. Batman Forever.”

“Alright, maybe you’ll get it for your birthday. You’ll be 5, aren’t you excited?”

“Jes, Momma.”

Jes. I guess that’s his version of yes. “Alright, go play in your room and I’ll fix you some lunch, kay Bud?”

“Kay.”

He turned around quickly and ran into his room and shut the door half way. Hannah was trying to stand up, being like 500 feet tall and stumbling a bit and after a couple hundred pops in her knees, she finally stood up straight. “He doesn’t like me, does he?” she asked.

I shook my head. “He just doesn’t know you. You can’t just expect him to come to you and everything work like you want it to.” I paused and looked around the room. “Do you want some lunch?”

“Yeah, that’d be good. I guess I’ll unpack.”

I smiled and walked down 12 steps, but the last three, Billie motioned for me to jump so I jumped into his arms and knocked him to the ground. We were both laughing, but his laugh was in pain. “Oh, why didn’t I just wait another step?” he asked and kept laughing. I laughed as well and rolled over to face him.

“Where does it hurt?” I asked.

“My ribs, mostly,” another laugh.

I kissed his ribs quickly and looked at him. “Better?”

“And my neck hurts…”

I kissed his neck.

“And my lips hurt real bad.”

I laughed and played along. I kissed his lips until our laugh broke us apart. “Now, you can kiss anything left over that still hurts.” I got up and went into the kitchen and got out two boxes of macaroni and cheese and poured them into a pan.

-Joey’s Birthday-

“Happy Fifth, Sweetie!” I yelled coming into his room with a medium sized box.

He yawned and rubbed his eyes. “Oh boy! What is it Mom?”

“Well, why don’t you open it, Smart One?” I asked.

I handed the box over to him and he tore it open with surprise in his eyes. “BATMAN!” he yelled. He took out all of the Batman movies except for the one with the Penguin. That one wasn’t allowed in my house. And then he took out some Batman action figures and I left him there to either watch them or play with them. I walked downstairs and I saw Billie walking to different sides of the room getting different things and heading for the door.

“Where are you going?” I asked.

“Mike’s girlfriend Ana is giving birth. And Mike isn’t even there, she doesn’t know where he is and she asked me and Tre if we could be there.”

“Oh. Well be a good coach, Daddy.”

He didn’t like it when I called him Daddy, but I did it anyway.

“Ha, Ha.” He grabbed his coat and left out the door.