Life on Banana Street

How To Kill Kia

Weeks passed by and I felt like a widow, though he wasn’t dead. Yet.
I don’t mean to sound hopeless, but there’s a very slim chance that he’ll survive. And I pray to God that he will.
I had taken Joey out of school, I couldn’t leave this hospital, it was like my home.
People came and gone, checking to see if Billie was still on the path to recovery.
I was watching TV in the waiting room and the news was on. ”…The pregnant man is here with us to talk today…”
Finally some pregnant men around here!
Jeff came and he sat next to me on the couch.
“Jeff, can you sing me a song?” I asked like a little kid.

“Sure…” He paused and thought of a song. ”Move bitch get out the way, get out the way. Move bitch get out the way.”
I smiled and lied my head on his shoulder.

“Thanks for being here for me, Jeff. You don’t know what it means to have some company. In my depression.”

“Addie, I know you’re sad, but he’s not dead. You can’t do this to Joey. Look at him.” He motioned over to my son in the play area and he had a toy but he didn’t have emotion.

“Well he’s sad Jeff. What do you expect?”

“He doesn’t even know what happened to him. He just knows he’s not here. You need to move on. You can’t stay here until he gets better. Put Joey back in school and live your life,” Jeff said.

“I hate you when you’re right. But if I leave here, Billie will think I’ve abandoned him.”

“He knows you’re always thinking about him. Like I said, he’s not dead. But you can’t just keep this over your head. It’s not your fault and you need to realize that he will come back. Maybe not in the way you’d like, but he’ll always be with you.”

“Get all spiritual why don’t you?” I asked in a sarcastic tone.

“Whatever. Just go home and let Joey go to school and be with his friends. If you’re not ready to move on, maybe you need to let him.”

“Stop being right. I hate you.”

He laughed. “Love you too,” he said sarcastically. “Do you need me to drive you?”

“Please.”

[attention readers. I’d like to put a snippet of random-o in here. this is mostly to entertain jeff and kia, sorry kia.]

We got up and Jeff picked Joey up out of the play area and we got in his pink truck and Mike was there. “Oh God! Jeff hurry and take this peanut butter and chant ‘Cal Burg’ while listening to The Hush Sound!” Jeff opened the peanut butter jar and smeared it over Mike’s chest. “Cal Burg, Cal Burg, Cal Burg.” Then he put in ‘Like Vines’ and listened to ‘Don’t Wake Me Up.’ Mother Baby Sun came into view then. Mike hissed and burned, while looking at us making our eyes burn. He then leaped away.

“Well now that that’s over…” Jeff said and opened the passenger door for Joey to get in.

“That was too close.”

“Good teamwork though!” He said as he hopped into the truck with a bright and cheery tone.

“Yeah.”