‹ Prequel: Till There Was You

All You Need Is Love

30

Image'

December 10th 1980

Linda walked down the hallway quickly after receiving the news of John.Paul had already found out the night that it happened and secluded himself from everyone.Linda quickly turned the corner,poking her head around the door frame of the room,seeing a young adolescent sitting on her bed."Abbey"She whispered,giving the door a soft knock with her knuckles.

The young girl looked up,tears threatening to spill from her eyes.Linda pulled her hand to her chest,clenching her shirt,"Abbey-I'm sor.."

"There's no need for it"She whispered looking down at her sheets."Wheres my Da'?"

Linda hesitated to walk into the room,but did so anyways sitting down on the edge of her bed.Abbey shot her a look and turned away,"He's at the studio"

"Figures"She spat quietly and stood up.She made her way over to the dresser and began taking out some clothes,ignoring the fact that Linda was still in the room.Linda sighed and stood up.

"I could give you the address,dear.Go visit him"Linda placed her hand on Abbeys shoulder.She groaned and shrugged it off,moving to the other side of the room in front of the mirror.She quickly released her dark hair from the pony tail and began brushing it fiercely.Linda shyly made her way to the door,knowing her presence wasn't wanted by Abbey.Abbey watched her closely through the mirror.

"Linda"She said,turning on the balls of her feet."Look-I'm sorry.I just don't take these things to well,y'know.I mean,your not my mother or anything--"

Linda nodded,"I understand Abbey.I'm just trying to help,thats all."Linda said shooting Abbey a shy smile.Abbey sighed,feeling the guilt creep up on her.'Why do you keep treatin' her like that' Abbey thought to herself,Linda was the closest thing to a mum that she had..."The address will be on the table"

Abbey nodded,"Thanks"She mumbled and turned around facing the mirror.She brushed a few dark locks behind her ear,staring at the scar on her forehead when she fell off the stage a couple years back.Paul Her Da' had been foolin' around on the stage area,getting equipment fixed up with his new band called Wings,or known as Paul McCartney and Wings,and didn't pay attention to Abbey at all.

Abbey ran her finger tips across her forehead,and quickly brushed her hair to hide it.She cocked her head to the side taking one final glimpse of herself before grabbing her purse.She stopped suddenly and collapsed on the bed,hugging her knees close to her chest."Uncle John"She cried softly,her vision becoming blurry with tears.He was a great person,closer to her then any one else,especially her father.But after The Beatles sudden break up--Their connection seemed to fade out a bit.He'd only visit on holidays and her birthday,then they became more distant than they never did.Something to do with her Da' and John arguing about something of the matter and such-.Abbey chewed on her lip and wiped her face,looking over at her nightstand.She usually kept pictures of everyone she'd known,or have come to known.There was one picture of the all the members of Wings with Abbey on Paul's shoulders.Another one was with her and Julian when they were kids,one with her and baby Sean and Dhani and a couple of just her and Paul.There was also another picture of her mum,Michelle,her Da' would talk about.He had the same one of her in his office aswell,never took it off his desk.Apparently,it was when they first met her and how her and Ringo were together.It still shocked Abbey that she used to call Ringo Dad instead of Paul.

Abbey sighed and stood up,making her way out of the room.It was quiet in the house seeing as the kids and Linda were in the other room.Abbey rolled her eyes at the thought of her step-brothers and sisters,but accepted them anyways.She grabbed the address off the table and headed outside to hail a taxi.They had been staying in New York for about a couple weeks upon hearing the news about John just a couple streets over.

She hopped into a taxi on the busy streets and headed towards the studio.The thought of her Dad in the studio by himself,listening to that song over and over sprang to her mind.And thats exactly what he was doing when she arrived.Abbey opened the door slowly hearing the familiar song to Sean 'Beautiful Boy' playing over and over again.She looked around the studio until her eyes landed on the back of his head.He was slouched over the sound board,head in his palms.Abbey hesitated to walk over to him just incase he snapped and backed off,but she did it anyways.She could hear his soft cries coming from several steps away and his body start to quiver,"Da'?"She whispered wrapping her arms around his neck.Paul tensed against her but relaxed when he knew who it was.

She ran her hands through his soft graying hair and turned him around to face her.His cheeks were stained with tears,soft and mellow look passed over his aging features.It almost made Abbey break down,"Come on"She tugged at his hand and pulled him out of the studio.

"Where are you takin' me,Abs?"Paul muttered hugging his jacket close to him.A chilly gust of wind passed over him causing him to shudder as they neared the docks.Abbey silenced him with the back of her hand and continued walking silently,thoughts playing through out her mind.

"I thought this would help"She said coming to stand leaning against the rails.Paul followed,standing next to her,"Y'know,you can talk about it--"Paul swallowed and dropped his gaze into the drifting waters below.Abbey sighed turning her head to look at the statue sitting in the distance,"You miss him?"

"Of course I do"Paul whispered playing with his cotton gloves.

"So do I"Abbey replied chewing on her bottom lip.She brushed a couple strands of hair from her face and turned to Paul,"Y'know.Uncle John used to bring me down here all the time--When you guys were arguing or not talkin' to each other..whatever you want to call it.Told me it reminded him of Liverpool-"

Paul cocked his brow and ran his eyes over the docks and turned back to Abbey,"Really?"

"Yea-The docks and everything."She muttered,"I bet you regret everything that ever happened,don't you?"

Paul sighed,"I do.But what can I do now,whats done is done"He looked up at Abbey,who was watching him closely.She blinked,watched his eyes sink lower and glossed with more tears.She pulled him into another warming hug,running her hand along his back.

"Whats done is done,Da'.He's gone,so do whats best and move on.It's what he would've wanted,as stubborn as he was"Abbey chuckled and pulled away from Paul,running her finger tips across his cheek.Paul remained silent,getting lost in his thoughts.All those years with John by his side,his best friend through all those special times of their careers,it had always been John and Paul for everything.But now,it was just him.

"Sometimes I think your the parent in this situation,Abs"Paul chuckled wiping his face."I feel like a babblin' baby"

"Da'.It's alright to be,he was yer best mate"Abbey said running her hand across his shoulder.Paul smiled and turned away from her,hanging his arms over the railing.Abbey chewed on her bottom lip and did the same,"I was thinkin' about Mum today--"

Paul took a deep breath and closed his eyes,"What about?"

"How much I miss her,didn't get to know her.All the questions I would ask her if she was still around.Why'd she leave me.."

"Things happen Abbey-As you can see,we can't control it.John's gone,yer Mum's gone."

"I know"She whispered,"It's just--you wouldn't understand.."

"Try me"Paul said looking at her.Abbey twisted her lip and shook her head.

"I don't know-It's just,I barely knew her before she died.I can't even remember one good time with her,what she looked like besides seeing her in a picture"She wiped a stray tear from her cheek.

Paul sighed and moved closer to her,"Y'know.I told you this story a million times,but I didn't have a Mum either.Yer grand-mum died when I was young too"

"At least you knew her"

"Stop being stubborn.You sound just like her now"Paul said lightly shoving Abbey.He chuckled softly when she rolled her eyes and turned away from him.He sighed heavily and looked down into the water,"No matter what Abbey,yer Mum will always be with you.Both of us will,cos we're apart of you."

"That sounds cheesy"Abbey muttered.

Paul chuckled and shook his head,"Comin' from an old tart like meself,right?"

"I guess so"She said quietly,hugging her arms to her chest."Da?"Paul mumbled and turned towards her,flaking the hairs out of his face.She wrapped her arms around his waist and pulled him close,"Your not gonna leave me.."

"Not anytime soon,I hope"He chuckled softly laying a kiss to her forehead.He pulled back and fingered her chin,lifting it up to meet his gaze."You're my baby-girl,Abs.Very special to me,I wouldn't think of leaving you for any reason"

Abbey sighed,a smile coming to her face and her eyes fluttering close under his touch,"Da'?"Paul mumbled again,running his hands across her hair,"Did you love Uncle John and Mum?"

Paul chewed on his lower lip,"I loved them both alot.Its tragic that they both were takin' away from me,I still can't get over it.But y'know what?"Abbey peeled her face from his chest and looked up at him,"They both left me with somethin' greater then pictures or memories"

Abbey cocked her head to the side,"Okay-I get what Mum left behind,which is me.But Uncle John?"

Paul chuckled,"Silly girl.His music,it always brings back somethin' whenever I listen to it"

"Oh"Abbey mumbled cuddling up to him once again.She sighed heavily,turning to look out at the water,"It was great talkin' to you about this Da'.It feels as of lately I had no one to talk too--"

Paul smirked,"I feel the same,luv"Abbey pulled away from him and took a deep breath.

She smiled,"Something tells me it's time to move on--Look forward to something else possibly"Paul nodded and sighed heavily,feeling a sudden chill brush up against him.He smiled and looked out at the rushing water in front of him.No matter what,dead or alive John would be with him,he could sense it and it brought him to ease.Michelle aswell,she was with him everyday,standing in front of him with that same look plastered on her face.It was Abbey.

Abbey cocked her brow,"What?"

Paul shook his head,feeling his stomach growl below his gloved hand,"Nothin'"He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and began leading Abbey away from the docks,"Say,you hungry?"

"I'm famished"Abbey said.Paul nodded with a smile on his face and glanced over his shoulder one last time before making his way towards his car along with Abbey.