‹ Prequel: Baby, We Have Eternity
Status: Last chapter will be posted on Halloween!

I'm Half-Doomed and You're Semi-Sweet

No Clue

“It’s not natural,” Patrick sighed under his breath. He studied the various newspaper clippings from weeks before as well as more recent ones.

“What do you mean?” Pete asked slowly.

Patrick thrust the newspaper clippings into his hands, mouth set in a grim line.

“That’s the work of vampires.”

Pete’s dark eyes scanned the article excerpts quickly.

“They keep getting closer and closer to the city, you see?” Patrick pointed out.

“Maybe they’re just old Dandies?” Joe offered, reading over Pete’s shoulder.

“No,” Patrick shook his head. Pete hadn’t expected him to agree; that these new vampires were only Dandies was just wishful thinking. “Dandies weren’t as reckless as this. They wouldn’t be so obvious.”

Pete and Andy nodded their agreement, knowing he was right.

“I’ll tell Brendon to keep an eye out,” Joe said, standing up. “They’re hunting tonight.”

“I’ll come,” Andy added, and the two left.

“What’s going on?” Kira appeared in the doorway, having overheard only part of their previous conversation. She wore a concerned expression, chewing on her lip.

“Nothing,” Pete interjected sharply, as Patrick had opened his mouth to explain. He frowned at Pete, who scowled in response.

“If I live here, I think I have a right to know what’s going on,” she reasoned, sending Patrick hopeful glances.

“Vampire attacks,” Patrick finally replied, rolling his eyes at Pete’s glares. “There’s been some in the suburbs, coming from the southeast. I think they’ll attack in the city next.”

“Do…do you know who they are?” she questioned, playing with her sleeves.

“No clue,” Patrick admitted.

The next couple of hours were spent in near silence as Patrick researched. Pete offered a few theories from time to time, but mostly the entire warehouse was filled with the scratch of Patrick’s pen or the shuffle of papers as the three of them read.

The silence was finally broken sometime before dawn with the arrival of Joe, Andy, Brendon, and Hanna.

Hanna held the door open for Andy and Brendon, who both came in supporting an unconscious Joe.

“What happened?” Patrick demanded, eyes widening at the sight.

“We were attacked,” Andy began to explain, as they brought him to his bedroom. “He wasn’t bitten, but they caught us off guard.”

“Who’s “they?” Pete inquired curiously. Andy shrugged.

“I didn’t recognize them, but then again, I didn’t get a good look. They must have been thirsty.”

“Will he be okay?” Kira asked, hovering in the doorway and looking on anxiously with Hanna.

“He’ll be fine,” Patrick assured her, as Joe started to come to. “He just needs some space,” Patrick added, shooting glances at Pete and Brendon.

Brendon led Hanna off to their room while Andy stayed to help Patrick clean the cuts on Joe’s face and arms before an infection could settle in.

“Come on,” Pete said, tugging at Kira’s arm. They began walking back to Pete’s room.

“Will he be okay?” she asked again.

“He’s been through worse,” Pete stated with assurance.

“Pete?” she asked, after a minute’s silence, pausing in his doorway.

She hesitated to tell him what was on her mind; the little that she knew could easily turn everyone against her.

He looked at her, waiting for her to continue.

“Never mind.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the lack of regular updates, but I'm slowly getting rid of writer's block.

Thanks: silver-rose-forever (she was lying, it's a vampire), CallusedSilk (Yay!), manicmonday (you guessed it a few chapters ago, if I remember correctly), Beware! Eleanor! (no, not Bilvy, Brendon staked him in the prequel), dearallybird ; ) , maccaveen xD, secrets-that-die (glad you noticed, that's what I'm trying to get across), & heartbeatkisses (thanks).