‹ Prequel: Baby, We Have Eternity
Status: Last chapter will be posted on Halloween!

I'm Half-Doomed and You're Semi-Sweet

Catch 22

Jack paced silently Kira’s room while she slept.

He didn’t know how to protect her, even though he’d promised.

He wished he were somehow able to go back and change everything.

Maybe he should have stopped Alex from going too far when he had the chance.

Or if he’d never met Kira, she wouldn’t be in this position.

This was all wishful thinking and nonsense, of course.

It was now too late and Alex was too far gone and set in his ways to ever go back to the carefree friend Jack once knew.

If Wentz by some miracle agreed to help Alex take over the city, he wouldn’t need Kira as bait anymore.

If Wentz refused once again, Alex would just kill Kira and be done with it.

Catch 22.

Either way, Kira was screwed.

“Jack?” she mumbled, half awake.

He went to her side.

“Will you miss me when I’m gone?”

“You’re not….going anywhere,” he insisted, but his voice betrayed him. “Will you be okay if I leave for an hour or so?” he asked her.

“I’ll be fine,” she said, waving him away.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Pete’s eyes widened at the sight of Kira.

She looked exhausted; her eyes were shadowed, as well as her throat.

“Help me, and our friend here lives. Simple.” Alex stood there as Pete stared and Kira avoided looking at either of them.

“I want to speak to Kira. Alone,” Pete stated.

“Fine,” Alex gave in, too easily.

He left the room.

“Kira-” Pete began.

She shook her head, pressing a finger to her lips.

He’s listening, she mouthed. He nodded.

“So what should I do?” he asked, loud enough to be overheard by Alex as not to appear suspicious.

She held up a finger, signaling him to wait one minute.

“I don’t know,” she replied, taking a compact notepad and pen from the inside of her pockets. Her voice was weathered and scratchy.

“What do you want me to do?”

“I don’t care,” she answered.

If you say no, he won’t do anything to me, she wrote. Say no.

“I don’t believe you,” he stated, to both comments. “Why would you-”

“Do whatever you want, Pete,” she interrupted.

You don’t have to pretend to care about me, was what she scrawled and held up for him to see.

“I’m not pr-”

“I don’t want to see you again, Pete.” Her damaged voice was flat, and he wasn’t sure whether it was an act or not.

“But-”

Tell him no, she wrote again. He’s bluffing.

Pete stood staring at her in disbelief, unsure what to do or say next.

She stared back at him defiantly, not allowing any emotion to show through her dark eyes.

“I-” he tried again, at a loss for words.

Say no or I’ll never forgive you.

She shoved her notepad back into her pocket as soon as she heard the door opening.

“Time’s up, Wentz,” Alex stated. “What’s your decision?”

Kira’s stoic stare commanded him to do as she said.

“No,” Pete said, still looking at her. Her expression didn’t change.

Alex glared disbelievingly at the two of them, eyes narrowed and mouth set in a scowl.

“Wrong choice, Wentz,” he growled. Zack and Rian entered the room. “Show our guest out,” Alex hissed sarcastically to them.

Kira remained still as a stone until he left.

He tried to turn back, but Zack and Rian forced him down the hall and out the door, watching him until he had no choice but to make his way home. There was no way he’d be able to sneak back in without jeopardizing both his own and Kira’s life. He couldn't save Kira alone, especially not if he was hurt.

He’d go back to the warehouse and gather everyone quickly to get Kira back.

Alex rounded on Kira as soon as Pete was gone.

Now she regretted lying to Pete.

...Alex doesn’t bluff.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not 100% happy with this chapter. It's the best I can do with how busy I am right now, so it'd be great to know what you think....

Thanks: ParkerKilgannon, glitter and gold, secrets-that-die, maccaveen, Al.Why.Sun, and manicmonday.