Night Prowler

Chapter 3

Chapter 3
Detective Melaine Hileman

After awhile we decided that heading home was the best idea, so Raphael took me home. As he was driving he said, “I have a question.” “Shoot,” I said.
“Why were you looking around when we were asking people if they’ve seen anything suspicious?”
“I felt like someone was watching me, that’s all.”
“Oh, was anyone watching you?
“I don’t know, I didn’t see anyone watching me.”
“Oh, ok.”
We finally arrived at my house but there was a cab in my drive way (why was there a cab in my drive way). He drove up behind the cab and then I saw the blood on the window. I pulled out my gun, a standard issued handgun, and exited the vehicle Raphael did the same. I walked to the driver side and opened the door, as I opened the door the cab driver fell out. We both jumped back in terror and swore loudly, it seemed that his throat was cut. It could only be one person, Night Prowler. How did he do this, how did he know where I lived (so many questions filled my mind but none could be answered).
I stared at the body then I grabbed my cell and called the chief. The phone rang for a few seconds then she answered, “Yes?” “There is a dead man in a cab in MY driveway. Possibly in his thirties, Latin American; I need CSI now!”
“Funny how I was just about to call you about a dead body too. The owner of Bob’s Diner was found dead, stabbed in the heart. Also a land lady was found dead too, stabbed rapidly and then her heart was ripped out of her chest. Night Prowler had a busy day.”
“I think the body in my driveway is Night Prowler’s doing as well.”
“Maybe he’s trying to send you a message, maybe a threat.”
“I don’t know, all I know is that he is one sick waste of life.”
“When CSI is done with the other crime scenes then head on to your place.”
“Ok.”
I hung up my cell and just looked at Raphael for the longest time. “What,” he asked. “I don’t know,” I said as tears began to fall down my face, “I don’t know.” I just broke down and started crying Raphael came to comfort me, but then everything went black and I couldn’t feel a thing.
I woke up in a hospital bed; I began frantically looking around the room. I was wondering how I got here and what happened. I nurse walked in and ask, “Are you feeling better?” “What happened,” I asked softly.
“You fainted, but lucky your friend caught you before you hit your head on the concrete. That would have been bad.”
“Yes, it would.”
I got out of my bed and headed for the bathroom to change to my regular clothes. She tried to stop me, “You’re not supposed to leave yet.” I stared at her then I said, “Well guess what. I’m leaving.” You let go of me and I went into the bathroom where I changed my clothes. After I was done I left the room and found Raphael out in the hall. “You feeling better,” he asked. “Yes, now let’s go,” I said as I grabbed his arm and headed for the exit. As we were leaving the hospital he asked me, “Where are we going?” “We got murders to solve,” I said. I grabbed my cell and called the chief. She answered, “Yes?” “It’s me, Det. Hileman, did CSI find anything,” I asked.
“You feel better?”
“Yes, but did CSI find anything?”
“Yes, but none of the finger prints matched anyone. It’s like he doesn’t exist, the thing is we know his name but we don’t know what he looks like or where he is. He destroyed all the documents in the orphanage, so he wouldn’t exist; smart kid.”
“Ya, but the problem is that he’s too smart.”
“Seriously.”
Then I got an idea.
“I got to go.”
“Ok.”
I hung up my cell and got in the driver seat of Raphael’s car and he jumped into the passenger’s seat. “Where are we going,” he asked. “To the crime scene,” I said as I pulled out of the parking lot and proceeded down the street.
“Which one?”
“The original one.”
“Why? We’ve been there already.”
“I know where he was watching.”
We finally arrived at the crime scene.
“Who?”
“Night Prowler.”
I got out of the car and ran to the building across the street; Raphael followed me still very confused. Why was he watching me, I just keep running up the stairs formulating an answer while Raphael was in hot pursuit. I finally arrived at the roof and looked over the ledge. I knew it! I perfect view of the crime scene and me ofcourse. Raphael just stared at me out of breath and then asked, “Is this where he was watching?” “Yes, but why is he watching,” I said.
“Isn’t it obvious, you survived and know he wants to finish what he started.”
“If that was true he would have done it a long time ago. And how did I survive he could of easily killed, maybe he let me live. But why?”
“I don’t know, maybe you hide and he couldn’t find you. Maybe he’s waiting for the right moment. I don’t know?”
I just stared at the crime scene, it seemed more and more questions were piling up and I had no answers. It frustrated me and I couldn’t stand not having the answers. I had to find the answers before it consumed me and my entire life, Raphael broke the silence by saying, “Maybe we should check the cameras to see if anyone suspicious went up to the roof.” It was a brilliant idea. “Yes, let’s do that,” I said.
We headed down stairs to the receptionist’s desk and flashed our badges. “We need to see your security camera footage,” I said with authority. “The receptionist responded, “I’m sorry but the cameras are being fixed today, there was a problem with them. They should be fixed my tomorrow.” Great, just great! We could have seen him; he must have known that’s why he picked today. Maybe he bugged the cameras to not work. More and more questions! I was so frustrated, it was like I was a bug and he was toying with me.
We left the building and Raphael took me home, when we arrived everything was cleaned up and I went into my house. Raphael shouted, “Goodnight, see you tomorrow.” I shouted back, “Ok, goodnight.” I walked into my bed room and feel asleep right when I hit the mattress. I hope tomorrows a better day.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment if you like it...