Someone To Call A Dad

Someone to Call A Dad

Someone To Call A Dad

“No, Alexander, you know that I have to let you go,”

Alexander Constantine watched Clarisse Wymarc turn away from him, about to leave his study. “I don’t want to! I didn’t know it would turn out like this!”

Clarisse turned around, and let Alexander see the tears streaming down her face. “You don’t want to, but we have to. Alexander, we don’t have control over these things.”

“Yes, yes we do!” Alexander came out from behind his desk. “If I hadn’t gotten into-”

“Into what, Alexander? Into what?” Clarisse cut him off. “This is what you get, Alexander, when you have other filthy rich bachelors as friends.”

“I didn’t have a choice!”

“You had a choice, Alexander, you really did,” she said, approaching Alexander, and held one side of Alexander’s face. Alexander put his hand over Clarisse’s, and inhaled its vanilla scent. “It’s just that your rich, play boy, daring attitude got the best of you,”

Alexander held him close, letting Clarisse feel his moist breath on her neck. “We belong to each other, Clarisse. We’re perfect…I love you so, so, very much. I’m so sorry, Clarisse. Really, I truly am,”

“I never really got angry at you. I love you. But you know what we have to do, Alexander,” said Clarisse, falling into Alexander’s arms as the both of them sank to the carpeted floor, and cried her heart out.

“You do know that Father would kill to get us married,”

“I know, Alexander,” said Clarisse. She was having difficulty speaking. “But we’re making the right choice.” she stood up with shaking knees.

Alexander stood up as well. “No, Clarisse, you’re making the right choice.” Alexander took his handkerchief and wiped Clarisse’s tears away. “You’re making the right choice for our lives. But you’re making the wrong choice for our hearts.”

“It has to be done, Alexander, for time cannot be turned back.”

* * *

“Aunt Clarisse is coming?!” a nine year old chocolate eyed brunette stared at her father behind the desk in disbelief. “You’re kidding me, Papa!”

“Oh, I am not joking, young lady,” said Alexander, fixing his eyeglasses, and setting his paperwork aside. “Now, we, only the two of us will meet her at the airport with her fiancée, since your mother, who is not really in good terms with your Aunt, will stay behind,” he walked over from behind the his desk to his closet and took his coat and put it on.

“Yeah, I know about him and Mama not getting along very well,” she said, watching her father dress up. “Mama won’t tell me,”

“Well,” said Alexander, going back to his desk to arrange the papers he had been working on, and put them in his suitcase. “Maybe it is because you’re too young to know,” Alexander explained. “Now, Isabelle, take your scarf and we’re leaving,”

“Yes,” she took the white scarf from the secretary behind her, and followed Alexander out the door. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

“That Clarisse is coming?” Alexander pushed the down elevator button. “I didn’t want your mom to know.”

“I think that’s a good enough reason,” they walked in the elevator and she pushed the button down to the ground floor, where Walter was waiting in the limo. “Hey, Papa, did Mama and Aunt Clarisse have a fight before? When they were young? Before me?”

Alexander didn’t want to answer. Isabelle had to hear it from Grecia himself. (1) “Y-yeah, I guess they did,” the elevator doors opened, and the people they passed all bowed at the sight of them, greeting them a good afternoon. “Walter,” Alexander called his attention as they exited Constantines Corp. “Get us to the airport, now,”

“Understood,” he opened the car door for them, and let them get in, before getting in the car himself. “May I ask, Sir, who are we-”

“Clarisse Wymarc,” he spoke even before Walter could finish his question.

“I see,” was all the Walter said. He knew what had happened between Clarisse, Alexander and Grecia. He just didn’t imagine that Alexander would let Clarisse step onto their land after what had happened the last time Clarisse came for a visit.

***

“Why is she here?!” Grecia demanded. “Who said she can walk on the estates?!”

Walter didn’t know what to answer her. Clarisse was indeed in the mansion and she was waiting in the living room for Alexander. “The late Master Michael allowed Miss Wymarc-”

“Well Alexander’s father is dead, and I am the one here in this house. I want her out of here at once!” Grecia yelled at him, “I don’t want her here ever again. I don’t care if she doesn’t have somewhere to sleep! Keep her out!”

“No one is keeping Clarisse out of this mansion,” Alexander entered the room, startling Walter and making him bow down at once. “Walter, you are dismissed.”

“As you wish,” Walter left the room, but stayed by the door to listen to the conversation.

“You’re keeping Clarisse out?” he heard Alexander speak first. “Heh. You’re the one who should be kept out of this mansion, Grecia,” Walter’s eyes widened. Alexander didn’t use her first name. When Isabelle was around, Alexander would call Grecia by her first name, but when they were alone, it was as if they were mortal enemies. “Remember, Grecia, you only live under my roof because I got you knocked up and I’m taking responsibility for it. Clarisse definitely would not have let me punch you square in the gut so that you would miscarry. But I’m not scared of facing my responsibilities, not like you.”

Grecia didn’t answer, but shot Alexander an angry look.

“You wanted to escape your father, did you not? And you didn’t want to work to keep him and yourself alive.”

“I worked my ass off four jobs to keep myself alive! Those four jobs weren’t even good enough for the both of us!”

“So you decided to come to David?”

“He and Hughes invited Nigel and me for a drink with you!”

“And did you realize that you were the only low class in the group?”

“Of course I knew!”

“Then why did you not decline the offer?”

“Why would I?”

“You were with the richest kids in land besides myself and an upper middle class Engineering student! And you were a waitress!” Alexander’s voice rose.

“And why would I take that into consideration?”

“I dunno, so that other losers like you would envy you that you hung out with a college student and two rich play boy bachelors and a rich taken one? I admit that I was half-drunk that night Grecia, but I was sober enough to realize that you were already commencing what you were planning from the start! You don’t think I noticed you flirting? Why did you think I was with David all night?”

“Because you two were close, I suppose,”

“Don’t you play dumb with me, Grecia.” Alexander’s tone had become even stricter. “And I am also not afraid to admit that this was partly my fault. If my pride didn’t get in the way, I wouldn’t have done what a drunk Nigel and Hughes dared me to do. You did what you wanted. You blindfolded me, and had me fuck you, and then I knocked you up. Believe me, fucking an anonymous slut while drunk is not a fun experience.” Alexander paused. Grecia was silent.

“What is it in her that you love so much?!”

“Everything you don’t have.”

“Oh? And would you mind telling me those?”

“Truthful, humble, honest, polite, generous, loyal, loving, forgiving, caring, patient, courteous, hardworking and persevere, and because of her as a person, and because she loves me for me. Not like you, who only wanted the rich life to get away from the life you lived with your bastard father. Now, you tell me, why did you decide to take me away from the person I love?”

Grecia couldn’t answer that one right away, not like how Alexander answered his question.

“I thought so. I’d take Isabelle and choose Clarisse over you anytime, Grecia. Read my lips, Grecia, I love Clarisse. And even after nine years of living with each other, I still don’t love you, and I never will. Keep that burned onto your head.” Alexander opened the door, and found Walter sitting by the hinges of the expensive, carved wooden doors. Alexander closed them. “Walter, never tell Isabelle anything about this.”

Walter looked up at him. “I’d never, Sir,” he answered calmly.

“Thank you.” Walter watched him walk away.

***

Walter let the car slow down as they entered the parking lot of Domino International Airport. “Master Alexander, will you be waiting here until Miss Clarisse informs you of her arrival?” he asked

“Yes. Keep the engine running, Walter,” answered Alexander, looking over to his daughter who had just pocketed her phone.

“Papa, where will Aunt Clarisse be coming from?” Isabelle asked, looking up at him. “Last time you said she came from Egypt,”

“She did come from Egypt last time, but that was only a visit to Egypt, and she also was only visiting when he came here the last time as well,” Alexander explained. “Now she’s coming from France,”

“Oh, I see,” she thought for a moment. “Will there come a time when we are the ones who’re going to visit Aunt Clarisse, Papa?”

Alexander sighed. “You know that will never happen, Isabelle, but it will, in time,” Just then, Alexander’s phone buzzed, and Clarisse’s name flashed on Alexander’s LCD screen. “Where are you? Isabelle and I will be there in five minutes.” He kept the phone, and Walter opened the door for them to step out.

In the moments that Alexander and Isabelle made their way to the arrivals, Alexander thought about what Grecia would do if he found out that Clarisse was here again. In his opinion, Grecia should not be mad at Clarisse. It was supposed to be Clarisse who should be mad at him. Besides, Grecia was the one who made an incentive that pushed Clarisse away.

“Alexander!” Alexander snapped out of his trance, and saw that Clarisse had dropped her hand-carried bag, left her luggage behind him, and came running to him with a smile on his face.

“Clarisse,” a smile graced Alexander’s face, and welcomed Clarisse into his arms. “I missed you,” and gently let go of her only a little over a few milliseconds. “Long time no see,”

“Yes, long time no see, Alexander,” Clarisse looked up at him, and a few men in a butler’s suits and a white haired man in slate gray trench coat came into view behind him. “Hello, Isabelle!”

“Aunt Clarisse!” Isabelle threw her arms around her, the moment Clarisse knelt to her level. “I missed you!”

Clarisse held her just a little bit tighter. “Oh, I missed you, too, Isabelle,” he let her go, “Come, I have presents for you, come,” she took Isabelle’s hand and crossed the road to the parking lot, where she immediately saw Walter, and the black, shiny limousine.

The white haired man approached Alexander, and stopped in his steps before him. “So you’re Clarisse’s fiancée, David?”

“Trust me, we’re only marrying each other so the money will stay in the family,” said David, watching Alexander walk away, and he went after him, leaving the butlers with their luggage. “Like every single marriage in her and my family,”

“No love at all?”

“No. We love each other, Alexander, but we’re not in love with each other,” he explained. “And that’s what’s let us decide that we had to do this, because we couldn’t let the family fortune get out; but we’re nearing thirty, Alexander, and we need someone to share our private lives with. We’re not getting any younger,”

“Believe me, David, right now, the person I’m sharing my life with is not exactly who I had in mind,”

“You still love her, don’t you?”

“Yes,”

“And she loves Isabelle as if she were her own,”

Alexander didn’t respond. How he wished Isabelle were his and Clarisse’s. But it would also would have been great if they had a little girl.

***

“I know what we should name our little girl!” Clarisse had suddenly brought up the subject of babies while they were doing homework for a little study date they had planned. Alexander was her upperclassman, and was to graduate this year, while she had another year to go. “Millicent!”

Alexander had drawn a long slant line through his math solutions in shock. “Little girl? Clarisse-”

“I know, I know,” Clarisse dropped her pencil and moved over to Alexander, letting herself in Alexander’s arms. “I would just love having a lot of children with you,” Clarisse looked up at him, and saw that Alexander had a mischievous smile painted on his face. “Eeeeewwww!” Clarisse quickly wriggled out of Alexander’s arms and moved to the other side of the sofa. “Alexander Constantine you are such a pervert!” she shrieked, and Alexander started to crawl towards him with that evil smile. “I’m a minor I tell you! A minor! I still have six months! And you’ve just become legal! Legal for three days!”

“Come on, just one ki-”

“MASTER CONSTANTINE!!!” Clarisse ran out the door, screaming for Alexander’s father.

“H-hey!” Alexander ran after her laughing, and they didn’t even get to put on their slippers. What could his father say when he saw his son and his son’s lover running around the house in socks?

“What is-” Clarisse hid behind the older Constantine. “Alexander?”

“What?”

“Why is Clarisse running around the house in socks?” asked Michael.

“Because-”

“Because he was trying to molest me,” said Clarisse in mock anger, smiling, then throwing a raspberry at Alexander.

“Alexander, have a little patience; you’ll have a lot of time to do that when you decide to tie the knot,” Michael laughed as he walked away.

“What?!” Clarisse screeched.

“I’ll be sure to do that every night,” Alexander smirked.

“Oh, and Clarisse,” Michael turned around.

“Yes, sir?”

“Start calling me father, ok? You’ll get married the minute you turn 20,” he chuckled and walked away.

“You’re in big trouble,”

“I so hate you right now.”

***

“Millicent…”

“I beg your pardon?” David asked him, confused. “Who’s Millicent?”

Alexander sighed as both he and David stepped onto the parking lot. “Clarisse wanted to name our little girl Millicent,”

“I see,” he said, turning back to look at the butlers who carried their luggage. “If ever our parents ask for a grandkid, artificial insemination, and I’ll name the kid after you.”

“Thanks, David,” they stopped by the limo. “Take care of Clarisse for me,”

“Anything for you, bud. We’ve been friends since high school,”

“Don’t get too sentimental,” Alexander laughed. “Get in the car, David,”

* * *

“It’s been a really, really, long time, Isabelle,” said Clarisse, putting her arm around her shoulders, and inhaling the sweet scent of the flowers the wind carried from the garden. It was great to be back in the mansion, though it was frightening at the same time. Grecia might make her presence in the mansion a scandal. An Alexander Constantine lets ex-lover in estate flashed in red, bold letters flashed in her mind. How terrifying.

Isabelle looked up at her. “Aunt Clarisse, I have a question for you,”

“Yes, what is it?”

“Why are you marrying David?”

“Well, it’s because when you love your family, you have make sacrifices,”

“Oh, I see,” Isabelle thought for a second. “I have another question!”

“What might that be?”

“Have you ever had a boyfriend before David?”

Clarisse smiled. She didn’t know. “I did, Isabelle, I did,”

“What happened?”

Clarisse brushed Isabelle’s bangs from her face and tucked it behind her ear. “We decided to call it off,”

“Why?”

Tears started to stream down Clarisse’s face. “So that you may have someone to call Papa, Isabelle,”

(1) Laura is Grecia’s name. and Grecia is the surname.
♠ ♠ ♠
please comment.