Status: Complete. Go read sequel, 'Give A Cheer For All The Broken'?

Cinderella, she seems so easy

It'll Be Like A Sleepover But Every Night.

After walking three miles, Kyra finally managed to wave down someone to give her a lift. She wasn’t exactly sure she was headed but she knew it was away from here. The old pick up truck pulled up in front of her and she cautiously proceeded to the passenger door.

“Where are you headed?” The old lady asked.

Kyra looked at her and gave a small smile. The lady would have only been around fifty and had a nice charm about her. Not like the creepy, old pervert she envisioned.

“Well…I…Don’t exactly know yet,” She replied.

“Why don’t you hop in and we’ll go together?”

“Sounds like a plan!”

Kyra instantly jumped at the chance of getting a car ride instead of having to walk for god knows how far. The lady introduced herself as ‘Betty’ and told Kyra about how she was travelling to go and meet her first grandchild for the first time. Kyra politely smiled and nodded, unsure of what to say.

After about driving for fifteen minute, they passed a sign that caught Kyra’s attention. The lettering was a tad blurry, since they were driving quite fast.

“Did that just say Newark?” Kyra questioned.

“It sure did. Got friends, family there?”

When those words came out Kyra instantly thought of her cousin, Andy. From the last email she received, she was pretty certain that he was living in that town, working at Starbucks or something until he fully decided what he wanted to do.

“Now that I think about it, yeah, yeah I do,” She smiled.

“So Newark, New Jersey it is then?”

“It seems to be!”

The drive was long and enjoyable, with Kyra telling her about stories from childhood and vice versa. Kyra thanked Betty when they arrived in Newark and soon trudged off towards the main shops, hoping that Andy would be working. She asked for directions and was on her way.

She walked with her usual slouch, slightly crouching her shoulders forwards and head on an angle towards the ground. This was how she normally walked. Kyra walked into the Starbucks and approached the counter, flicking her fringe out of her eyes with one easy movement of her head.

The man behind the counter had his back to her and was laughing in hysterics to the other worker. Kyra coughed and he swung around.

“Oh hey, sweetie. What can I get for you?” He smiled.

Kyra smiled and looked at his name badge. ‘Andrew’. His hair looked as if it had around ten cans of hairspray used in it and as if he had just woken up. He smiled and his full lips curled back up to give a sweet smile.

“I was wondering if you could help me. I’m looking for Andy. Andy Blair?” She asked.

“Well you’ve found him,” He grinned.

She took off her beret and flicked her blonde hair, causing Andy to squeal with excitement.

“Ky-Ky!” Andrew shrieked.

He hopelessly ran around the counter and hugged her, screaming with excitement. Once he reached her, Andy wrapped his arms around her and jumped up and down, scaring a few customers in the process. Andy pulled away and gave her look up and down.

“Not that it’s not good to see you, but what are you doing here? In New Jersey?” He asked, eyebrow raised.

“Well, it’s kinda a long story but I was wondering,” Kyra paused, “Could I stay with you for a while?”

“Oh my god! Yes! Of course sweetie! It’ll be like a sleepover but every night! Come! Come! Let’s go home now,” Andrew said, tugging on her arm.

“But you’ve got work?” Kyra pointed at the counter.

“Oh…Jamie!” He clicked his finger.

The other man behind the counter turned and raised his head.

“Cover for me?”

“Oh, of course! Have fun,” Jamie smiled.

Andy smiled widely and he skipped out of Starbucks, Kyra trailing slowly behind. They walked and she told him everything. Lily. Mark. Her mother. She vented it all out to him. On the way to Andrew’s apartment, they passed the local school.

“If you stay here, you have to go to school, you know?” He said.

“You serious?” She replied

“Well yeah. You can’t work at Starbucks. That’s my territory. I’ll ring up when we get home. Besides you’re pretty smart when you want to be.”

She nodded and glanced into what would be her new school. It was different to what she was used to. There was actually lush green grass and for once, a school didn’t look like a prison. Her eyes glanced around the yard. It was practically empty. Except for a group of boys under a tree.

From what she could see, they were wearing dark colours. They each had extremely dark hair, except for one. The odd one out had dark brown hair and a fringe swept to the side near his glasses. He was sitting there peacefully while the others were creating havoc around him.

Kyra stared at him and he stared back, before she turned her attention back to her cousin. They walked off and Kyra turned back and gave a large grin. For a brief moment, she wondered who they were. And more importantly, who he was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?