Running Away

Welcome to California

Kayla had been in California for three weeks. In those three weeks, she'd found a hopefully temporary job at a Starbucks and moved into a large house that she shared with 5 other aspiring actresses and musicians. It was nice, but she wasn't planning on getting close to any of them. She didn't need them.

She hadn't gotten a call from her dad. She hadn't gotten a call from anyone back home. She rolled her eyes. So much for friends.

But in reality, Kayla didn't really care if they never contacted her again. She was going to make a name for herself, and she didn't need their support or their blessing. She didn't need them at all.

Today was Kayla's second interview. Her first... well that hadn't gone so well. You can pretty much guarantee that you're not going to get the job when you accidentally spill your potential employer's coffee all over them. It had pretty much been a fiasco.

Now, she was heading to a meeting with Hollywood Records. She'd dropped of a sample of her doing a cover a few days after she'd arrived in California, more to keep her options open than because she wanted to work for them. To her, being a Disney star had too many restrictions that went along with it. And too many too-happy, too=perfect stars. But, hey, a job was a job, no matter who it was with.

She arrived at the pretentious building and gave her name to a young secretary. After getting directions, getting on an elevator, getting lost, and finally reaching the right office, Kayla knocked on the door of room 312. She was beyond nervous.

"One moment, please!" a male voice called from inside the office.

Kayla quickly checked her black skirt, pink polo and black vest to make sure everything looked perfect. If her mother had taught her one thing before she'd left, it was to always make a good impression.

Kayla was running her fingers through her hair when the door opened and a tall body collided with her own five two frame, knocking her to the floor.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" a deep male voice apologized. Kayla quickly accepted the hand he offered to hlp her up, but refused to take her eyes off the floor, where the boy's purple converse rested.

"Don't worry about it," she replied, finally looking up at the boy.

She struggled against the sudden weight of her jaw. Was Nick Jonas really standing in front of her? Or was she dreaming?

"Nick! What did you do to the poor girl?" another masculine voice asked.

Now all three of the Jonas brothers stood in front of a slightly starstruck Kayla. Not that she was a huge, overly obsessed fan, but like most girls her age, she listened to the music. She didn't know anything about the boys aside from their names.

"Oh, don't worry about it. I'm fine," she informed them all.

"Well, okay. By the way, I'm Nick, and that's Joe and Kevin."

"Kayla." she replied, not wanting to be rude. It wasn't like she was actually going to be friends with these boys.

"Guys, we should be going. I'm thinking that this is the girl Sid was waiting for for her meeting," Kevin said.

Kayla nodded and Kevin motioned for her to go into the room. "He said you can go in."

"Thanks."

"Well it was nice bumping into you," Nick said with a small grin. Kayla laughed.

"Maybe we'll see you around, Kayla," Joe said, smiling widely at the girl.

"Maybe. Bye."

And then Kevin shut the door behind her. And she was in the meeting that could change her life forever.


This is morning
That's when I spend the most time
Thinking 'bout what I've given up
This is a warning
When you start the day just to close the curtains
You're thinking 'bout what I've given up

Where are you now?
As I'm swimming through the stereo
I'm writing you a symphony of sound
Where are you now?
As I rearrange the songs again
This mix could burn a hole in anyone
But it was you I was thinking of

I read your letter
The one you left when you broke into my house
Retracing every step you made
And you said you meant it
And there's a piece of me in every single
Second of every single day
But if it's true then tell me how it got this way

Where are you now?
As I'm swimming through the stereo
I'm writing you a symphony of sound
Where are you now?
As I rearrange the songs again
This mix could burn a hole in anyone
But it was you I was thinking of

And I can't get to you
I can't get to you
I can't get to you (you, you)

Where are you now?
As I'm swimming through the stereo
I conduct a symphony of sound
Where are you now?
As I'm cutting through you track by track
I swear to God this mix could sink the sun
But it was you I was thinking of

And where are you now?
And where are you now?

And this is my mixed tape for her
It's like I wrote every note
With my own fingers
♠ ♠ ♠
Song: Jack's Mannequin - Mixed Tape

Okay, I'm not so sure I like this. It would be great if you guys reading could comment it up and tell me what you think. I'm thinking it's a bit choppy for my taste, and it's kinda short, too.

I think I'll hand write the next chapter first, because that seems to work better for me.

Please comment and tell me what you're thinking!!!

Peace.

<3 Adelina