Ambulance.

Ambulance.

The ambulance came. Sirens blared.
A scene I was familiar with.

Paramedics ran swiftly to do their job. It was as much a routine for them as it was for me.

As I lay half unconscious in the ambulance I wondered what life might be like if I was…different, if I was….better? What would it be like?

The morphine, along with other numerous chemicals, pumped into my blood as I lay in an old hospital bed.
I wonder if they use the same one for me every time I come in.

It’s visiting hours. But of course I have no one to visit me. If I did then maybe I wouldn’t be here in the first place.

As usual I am out of the hospital before a full day is through. What to do know? It wouldn’t do to do the same thing again so soon; that would just be dull.

I wondered the streets for awhile. I suppose you could say I’ve spent most of my life wondering the streets but usually I have a set destination. Today I was really just wondering.

I passed a man lying in the gutter. He was very still, but you learn on the streets to never jump to conclusions, it does more bad than good.

Since I had nothing else to do I jumped atop the dumpster at the corner of the ally and watched the world pass by, while keeping a keen eye on the man in the gutter. Was that what I looked like when I had gone to far?

After about ten minutes or so a woman rushed over to the man in the gutter. This was odd I had never seen someone act so worried over another person. She looked around frantically to see if anyone was near; either she didn’t see me in the shade of the building behind me or she thought I would be of no help.

I continued to watch with a strange kind of fascination as the woman snatched her phone out of her pocket and pressed one number in quick succession.
Police? But I’m not doing anything wro-.
Wait…Ambulance?

Sirens blared and lights flashed. The ambulance came. This was a scene I was not familiar with.

Again I continued watching with a strange interest as the paramedics flew out of the ambulance and to the poor man in the gutter.
One began getting the stretcher out of the van; another paramedic shook his head at him. What?
“There is nothing we can do.” I overheard one man say.

Simple as that?! “there is nothing we can do.” They didn’t even try!
I took a deep breath to calm myself. Of all my years on the streets I had never seen anything like this. This is not how I wanted to go.

Is that what they would do if I went too far? Would they hold their finger to my neck and simply shake their heads because there is ‘nothing they can do’?
I wasn’t going like that. I had to fix my life.