English Essays

Pre 1914 Poetry

All of the poems, in their own way, explore the theme of love. Some of the poems are more shifted towards the romantic side of poetry, whereas others, such as Andrew Marvell’s ‘To His Coy Mistress’, are far more on the metaphysical side of things. I am going to be discussing three poems in this essay; Shakespeare’s ‘Sonnet 18’ and ‘Sonnet 130’, and Andrew Marvell’s ‘To His Coy Mistress’.
Shakespeare’s Sonnet 18, is actually one of the most well known sonnets of all 154 sonnets that Shakespeare has written. At first, it appears as an extremely romantic poem, which describes a vision of beauty, of which it is perceived to be complete perfection. This is instantly recognisable from the first two opening lines; “Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate;”which immediately show that the poem is going to be the romantic kind. The line “Thou art more lovely and more temperate” is saying that the receiver of the poem is lovelier and more temperate than a summer’s day. Alongside this, Shakespeare goes on to note some negativity about summer, saying that it is too short; "summer's lease hath all too short a date", and that sometimes the sun shines too hot; "Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines." However, throughout the poem the subject is described as having beauty that will last forever, which is very unlike the fleeting beauty of a summer's day. This area of the poem is very mixed messaged; as it shows that the beauty will fade, but that their beauty will last forever. By further investigation, it is possible that Shakespeare meant that by recording the beauty and love for the subject in the form of a poem, that their beauty will be everlasting in a more metaphorical sense than literal. Throughout the poem, Shakespeare goes further on about how wonderful and beautiful the subject is, and how much they mean to him in particular. However, we do not know for certain that this poem was given to someone by Shakespeare himself. It is equally as possible that this was written to be given to somebody else, who in turn could give it to their lover or mistress. We also do not know that if this poem was in fact from Shakespeare himself, whether it was for a woman or man. The poem rhymes throughout. Every first line rhymes with the third, and every second to the fourth. The only parts that do not follow this pattern are the final two lines, which rhyme with one another. It is important to note the rhyming aspect of the poem, as it shows us that the poem may not be intended to be taken completely seriously. It is possible that it is meant to sound, when read aloud, as an incredibly over the top account of love for the subject. Taking this into account, it could be noted that it is possible the poem is written sarcastically, and is not to be taken at face value. With this is mind, it gives new meaning to lines such as “But thy eternal summer shall not fade”, which mean that, because the subject is being compared to a summers day, in beauty, their beauty will not fade. However, if this line is being said sarcastically, it could mean that the subjects beauty will fade, just like everyone else’s, and that they are not as special as the poem depicts are first sight. Because of this, the poem should not immediately be taken at face value. However, it is just as probable that the poem is supposedly meant to appear as it does, as an overly romantic gesture, and is completely as it seems to be, a love poem to somebody very special, to either Shakespeare himself or a friend of his.
A rather contrasting poem to Sonnet 18, is Shakespeare’s Sonnet 130, which is at face value, far less ‘romantic’ than 18. It could actually be classed as a metaphysical poem in some aspects, before it’s time. The poem has a reasonably regular rhyming scheme which is exactly the same as Sonnet 18. Like 18, it could be noted that due to this rhyming scheme, the poem isn’t to be taken entirely seriously. However, due to the less-than-flattering nature of the poem, this was probably intentional. In the poem, Shakespeare describes the subject almost opposite to the way in which they are portrayed in Sonnet 18. He writes almost pure blunt insults to the subject, stating things such as; “If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head,” saying that their hair is black and wiry, and “If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;” which are obviously not pleasant things to say about anyone, let alone a mistress or lover. In particularly, the line “My Mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground” is a very powerful reference to other over the top poetry, which regularly tend to make whomever the subject of the poem is, seem so utterly amazing, that they are almost magical, or god-like, and that it is that they float rather than walk. In other poetry, which labels the subject with this sort of immortal perfection, it is possible it is used to draw the subject in to the poem more to become a true part of it, and to really connect with it. As Shakespeare has done the complete opposite in Sonnet 18, it is apparent that he did not intend to make the subject feel as though the poem was particularly special to them. Additionally, the dramatic contrast between Sonnet 130 and Sonnet 18 does show us the different levels at which a poet can explore different themes within their poetry, such as love. In sonnet 130, Shakespeare finishes on the lines “And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare, as any belied with false compare”. This end of the sonnet may be an assertion that the subject is as beautiful as any that has been falsely poeticized by other poets. By looking further into these last lines however, we also see that the whole poem is describing someone, not in an intentionally insulting manner, but in a more down to earth fashion. The poem begins to appear as more of an honest account of a human being, than that or a horrible and degrading show of ‘love’ (or lack of love). By finishing on these lines, it shows that the subject of the sonnet was, regardless of their flaws, which were excessively acknowledged, loved all the same. I think through this poem, we see that the over the top flaunting of love and affection for a person, is not needed to truly get the point across. It shows that by realizing the flaws in someone, and still honestly loving them, is the truest form of love that there is in the world.
Long after Shakespeare’s time, during the 17th century, a style of Metaphysical poetry began. The metaphysical poets were a loose group of British lyric poets, who shared an interest in metaphysical concerns and a common way of investigating them. These poets themselves did not form a school or start a movement; most of them did not even know or read each other. Their style was characterized by wit, subtle argumentations, "metaphysical conceits", and/or an unusual simile or metaphor. Andrew Marvell is a very recognizable Metaphysical poet, and, circa 1650-52, He lived at Nun Appleton House, near York, where he wrote To His Coy Mistress.
To His Coy Mistress is noticeable different from both Sonnet 18 and Sonnet 130. It is an instantly recognizable metaphysical poem, and is one of Andrew Marvell’s most popular poems. Even reading the poem for the first time, it can be easily noted that the poem is written with one thing in mind – sex. This is instantly apparent from lines such as; “And tear our pleasures with rough strife, through the iron gates of life”. Close investigation of these lines show that we can see that Andrew Marvell was only after one thing, with the subject of the poem, and was rather desperate to get it. Throughout the poem, he states things such as “Had we but a world enough, and time” “Love you ten years before the flood;” and “Till the conversion of the Jews,” which shows us that he is saying, if the two of them had all the time in the world, he would wait forever for them, to get what it is that he wants from them. The term is very powerful, because the conversion of the Jews will never happen (or most likely will never happen) which brings more meaning to line. Slightly further on in the poem, Marvell writes “But at my back I always hear, Time’s winged chariot hurrying near”. This means that time is running out for the both of them, and if they do not consummate their ‘love’ soon, they will not be able to do it ever. This area of the poem is showing us that Andrew is trying to justify his need, or more likely, lust, for the subject, and their virginity. It is almost as if he is he heavily pressuring the subject into sex with him. Marvell goes on to say “My echoing song; then worms shall try, that long preserv’d virginity,” which could be described as a rather nasty part of the poem, which is bluntly stating that, if he does not get the chance to take their virginity, and they wait forever to give it, then the worms will be the only ones who get the pleasure of taking it from them. This part of the poem may have been strategically put in to shock the subject however; making them worry about the state of their virginity and convincing them further into letting Marvell have his way with them. The section of the poem, from “But at my back I always heart” until “But none I think do there embrace,” is obviously Marvell stating why he should have sex with the subject, and the dire consequences should he not be allowed to, in a way to vindicate his desire to take their virginity. Another section of the poem, beginning from “Now therefore, while the youthful hue,” and ending at “Stand still, yet we will make him run,” is an obvious bid by Marvell to explain indirectly what him and subject should actually do, as if he believes because the subject is a virgin, they may not actually be aware of what the action of sex in its entirety involves. Though the poem does have its more romantic areas, the crux of the entire poem is still very obviously sex. The more romantic areas are most obviously written as a way to coax the subject into letting Marvell have them. He does not appear to have much interest in wooing or being romantic towards the subject. He gives across the idea that love is almost entirely not important to him, and that sexual desire is the only importance in a relationship. However, this could be due to a different idea of love that he may have gotten whilst growing up or through life experiences, that have lead him to believe that anything other than physical love is pointless or does not truly exist.
The first poem, Sonnet 18, is very traditional in its theme of love, making everything seem very ‘lovey-dovey’ and beautiful. In contrast, the second poem, Sonnet 130, is less traditional, but is a poem, dictating the truest form of love. It is honest, and down to earth, and is not masked by false beauty or superficial love. In an extreme contrast to both however, To His Coy Mistress can’t exactly be classed as a love poem at all. It explored the theme of sexual relationships, but doesn’t precisely show a theme of love, other than physical (or lustful) love. In all honestly however, this poem is the most realistic, because in the ‘real world’, love is a rare occasion, and it is more likely that the majority of people are more interested in sex, than being in love, although many like to pretend the opposite.
I think Sonnet 130 explores the theme of love the best, in a pure, honest way. It shows us that, even though it is the not the most ‘sugar-coated’ love poem; it is still a love poem all the same, depicting honest love. It is always a good way of showing that love is not actually about over the top infatuation and false compliments. It shows love is about knowing and loving someone for who they truly are inside.
Through poetry, love is explored in many different ways. The love itself can differ from realistic to fantasy. There have been many different poets, such as the metaphysical and the romantics, who have portrayed love in their poetry in very different ways. Poetry is a brilliant medium in which to explore themes such as love, as it gives the poets more freedom to express themselves and more freedom in the style in which they write.