Healing

Messages

Jenna woke sluggishly from little sleep the night before. She felt a little disoriented looking at the digital alarm clock on her bookshelf. She squinted a little to see the time. 11:30?!

She was thinking she had school but then realized that it was a sunday. Joy.

She flopped back onto her pillowfor a minute, debating whether or not to get up. She sat up and looked around her room suspiciously. What was different? Something minor that she couldn't place, but her slight OCD caused her to search.

She glanced at her make-shift nightstand. She was just going to read, but noticed it. There was a few papers laying there that hadn't been there when she put her book away.

She picked it up. First was a sticky-note, it was lime green and written on with black sharpie in scrawly cursive.

Jenna,
After last night we figured you would need to sleep, so we went to church without you. We'll be back at about 12:30. By the way, mail came for you.

It was unsigned but it didn't matter to Jenna. She pulled it off and put it in her lap. She looked at the next one. She ripped open the envelope.

Dear Jenna,
You're getting so big! And very pretty. Wow.

As far as your mother, strangely we haven't even heard from her in over a year. Thats very odd. The last time we saw her was the day she ran away from your father. She said that if you didn't find the note, then she wanted us to let you know how much she wanted to take you but it was impossible. Jenna, she hadn't the faintest idea that he'd ever hurt you. I read your story and thats awful. I can't even believe it, even after what he did to my sister.

Now, I'm curious. Who are your foster parents? What are they like? I want to know these things. Also, find out if we can come see you. We all miss you so much. Carli and Zach say hi. Once we can move, we want you to come live with us. Right now, everyone has to share a room so it's about impossible for the time being.
Love you and miss you,
Auntie

Jenna smiled. She got a piece of paper and a blue pen. She missed her cousins so much.

Dear Auntie,
Thank you, and I'd love to see you. I'll ask tonight.

As far as my foster family, its very nice living with them. My teacher, Mr. J, offered to be my foster parent. He was the one who got me to talk about my problem. I've told you about him.

His wife, Lisa, is very kind. She literally treats me like I'm actually her child. Like I'd been there my whole life.

Their oldest daughter, Leah, is like most girls that are about seventeen. She is also quite nice, except for getting flustered with her little brother (often). Their younger daughter, Julie, is more of an individual. She a bit rambunctious, but in a good way. She's a free spirit. Their son Kyle is 9. And like most boys, so its no wonder Leah gets flustered. He likes to tell us stories he made up. They're quite entertaining, actually.

Its really nice living here, although most kids might not be pleased. I like it though because they aren't abusive. That's all I'd known for so long.

I'd also love to live with you once there's room, if they havn't found mom by then.
Love you & miss you, too,
Jenna

Once Jenna was done, she found the stamps. There were new ones now. They were of kittens. The one I used was a fluffy black one.

Soon enough, they were home. I had already had breakfast and was making my bed. Mr. J came into the room.

"Hi, Jenna. What happened last night?"

"I was dreaming, I think. I don't remember it as much now, but I was with my dad again. It was horrible. Even though I couldn't actually feel it physically, my emotions made me. It felt like it was happening. And I guess I was terrified enough to start screaming."

"Yeah. Did you get the note and the mail?"

Jenna nodded. "It was my aunt again. She was curious if she could come see me with my cousins sometime."

"Let her know she's welcome. We should arrange a time soon. I'm sure it would be good for you to see her after so long."

"Thanks"

"You don't need to thank me"

The talk was soon ended, leaving Jenna to add a PS to the letter, then sealing it, and continuing her reading. Later on, she took it to a mailbox.