In the Best Damn Dress I Own

Beads

Gerard Way’s Point of View

I had to pick the most non-revealing swimsuit there was. I couldn’t risk anybody finding out. To my extreme joy, we were allowed to wear some kind of cover up. I was going to wear a tankini bathing suit top so that my stomach wouldn’t be revealed, and long, swaying cover up pants that I found the other day. The top was zebra pattern, so it looked pretty good when put together.

After I was completely changed and ready, I left the dressing rooms and went backstage and saw Erika there. She was smiling, so I smiled back at her. I was pleased that she finally let everything go. I think she wanted to be friends with me again. Even though it would take a while to fully gain her trust again, I believed that she would really try to win my trust back. I really liked having her as a friend before everything started to go to hell, and if we could go back to that, I’d be so happy. One thing that I won't forgive her for is for kissing Frank. That made me so miserable. But, if she's willing to be a grown up about it and put it past us, then so am I.

“You ready?” Evaleene asked me, smiling widely. She had her hand on my shoulder.

I nodded at her, smiling as well, even though I was extremely nervous.

“You shouldn’t be nervous. Nothing bad will happen Genna, I promise you,” she whispered to me before going to give a prep talk to everyone else.

Why was she singling me out? Did she have her suspicions?

I felt sick to my stomach now. I wanted to go home and forget this and just snuggle up with Frankie.

“Okay girls, get lined up!” Evaleene chanted.

I took my spot and waited for the curtains to pull back. They did, and I was beginning to sweat just a little bit. I quickly wiped my brow and smiled as widely as I could. I hardly ever smiled this big. My cheeks began to hurt quickly.

Each of us took turns walking to the end of the stage, posing, and then walking back. My bathing suit top was nicely stuffed with tissue – which I’d worked hard on perfecting – and it was soon to be my turn. We were all in heels, and that was the only thing that I could hear; the sound of heels clicking against the glossy wooden stage floor.

“Good luck,” I heard Erika whisper as I began to walk forward. I smiled a little bit wider and went to the end, did my pose, and started back, only something was horribly wrong; I was extremely wobbly. I looked down and saw a ton of tiny beads rolling around. Before I had a chance to balance myself, I fell. I scampered to close my legs in fear of someone witnessing the obvious bulge, and looked around. Evaleene looked positively furious, but she wasn’t looking at me; she was looking at Erika who now stood smirking, looking down at me. At her feet was a clear plastic string from the beaded necklace she was wearing previously.

“Oh my god, Genna, I am so sorry,” Erika said, helping me up. She was still smiling though.

I got to my feet again and resumed my position in the lineup. I was so embarrassed. I wanted to cry, but I couldn’t do that or else I’d completely ruin my makeup and I didn’t want that to happen.

At the moment, we were going to have a short intermission to catch a breath and get refreshed. I needed this break. I needed to regain my composure.

“Erika, why would you do such a thing?” I heard Evaleene ask Erika. They were talking in a room with the door only slightly ajar. I stood there and listened to their conversation.

“It was an accident! Faulty beaded necklaces are quite common in case you haven’t noticed,” Erika retorted, sounding prissy.

“Erika, you know darn well that you did that on purpose. Even if it were an accident, you could’ve prevented Genna from falling. She wants to be in this so badly and you have no idea how much,” Evaleene said, sounding sympathetic. “You just leave her alone or I’ll have you escorted out of here.”

“Ugh, fine. And did you forget that his name is Gerard?” Erika asked before the sound of clicking heels became apparent. I scurried off to another corner of the backstage area. Erika stormed past me, clearly mad, and Evaleene followed, only she was much more calm and patient. I knew she was going to kick me out. She knew the truth, whether she believed it or not.

“Genna, are you okay?” Evaleene asked, smiling sweetly.

“Yeah, I'm fine,” I said.

It was mostly true. In reality, I was fine, but I was still really nervous. Erika told Evaleene and she may have caused me to fall purposely. I had no clue as to what to think of the events that have just very recently taken place. Luckily, I didn’t have the time to think of anything; it was time to change yet again.

We now had to show our poise… in gowns that hung half a foot longer than your actual body. I sincerely hoped I wouldn’t fuck up. I could barely master walking in six inch heels. How on earth will I manage to do that in a dress that’s longer than me?