In the Best Damn Dress I Own

A Newfound Friend

It was finally here! Today was Saturday, the day of the dress rehearsal! I couldn't believe that the rest of the week had flown by so fast, and now I was standing in the most lavish place. It was really a dream come true.

"Okay ladies, line up in alphabetical order of your last name. Quickly please." Evaleen said. I saw her smile when our eyes connected. But it wasn't her I had to make friends with, she was the host and choreographer. I needed to get in good with the judges if I wanted to win. But then again, I wasn't one for cheating so maybe I'd just hang back. After all, I was already breaking enough rules entering.

As soon as the words were uttered from Evaleen's mouth the girls started scrambling all over. I took my own sweet time heading straight to the back of the line of over-excited women. When there only one girl was behind me. Her name was Erika Werner.

"Okay. I'm going to jot down all your names and then you'll have a bit of free time to mingle." Evaleen started before pulling out her clipboard, scribbling frantically.

When Evaleen was done we were given the free time that we had been promised. I immediately sat down on a very luxurious chair with velvet cushions. As soon as I was seated someone sat down beside me. It was Erika.

"H-hi there. My name's Erika."

"Ger-Genna." I said, mentally slapping myself for almost giving away my identity. I couldn't have slip-ups like that. It was far too risky.

"Goths." someone mumbled as they passed our table. The group that the prissy blond was in started giggling as they continued walking.

I looked at Erika's and my outfit. We definitely were darker than the bubbly blonds. I had dressed myself in a knee-length dress, high heeled combat boots, topped off with a skull purse. Erika was dressed in a very nice black tee-shirt, a trip skirt, fishnets, and boots that were practically identical to mine. We were assuredly the misfits of the beauty pageant.

"We don't exactly fit in." Erika commented. I shook my head but smiled. She returned my grin with a confused look.

"We may not fit it, but at least we have some stuff that we share in common." I said. Erika smiled at me and I smiled back.

"I suppose you're right. You want to go get some cake? I don't think that the twigs have dug into it yet." she said, obviously meaning the other girls.

"Of course I do! I think you might just be a mind reader." I said giggling. We got our cake and sat down at the table, talking over music.

"Favorite band? 1-2-3-"

"Iron Maiden!" we screamed in unison, gaining some nasty looks from the other girls. We just giggled and shook it off.

"Erika, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship." I said, quoting the line from 'Casablanca', but replacing 'Louie' with 'Erika'.

Later that night, after rehearsal, I returned home to Frank sleeping on the couch. When I closed the door he awoke, much to my dismay.

"I was going to let you sleep baby. I'm sorry I woke you up." I apologized sincerely. He sleepily smiled at me.

"It's okay. I was trying to wait up for you but that late night last night really tired me." he stated, rubbing the sleep from his hazel eyes. He was just so damn beautiful.

"So did anything interesting happen today?" Frank asked with his eyebrows raised. He still expected me to slip up and reveal my gender.

"No. I met this girl though. Her name is Erika Werner and she's extremely nice. She eats cake! We were the only ones who ate cake. She likes Iron Maiden too! Isn't that great?" I said excitedly. I wanted to tell Frank everything about Erika. I wanted them to meet. I knew they would hit it off splendidly.

"So, I take it this is a new friend?" Frank said suspiciously. I great, big grin spread across my face when I told my answer.

"Yes. Yes, I think Erika and I are going to be great friends." I said as Frank grabbed my hand and led me into the bedroom to go to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yippee!
Update.
I didn't know exactly what to say, but....
I thought a friend was the right way to go.
Comment and subscribe!