1880

A Band of Friends

A new day over London brought with it a new beginning. The rise of the sun –the weak light obscured by the omnipresent cloak of murk that draped the city like velvet, causing daybreak to be a somewhat dreary affair – prompted customary good-morning greetings between the inhabitants of the room. Even before the scent of fresh-baked bread had fully permeated the atmosphere, the pair had dutifully retaken their seats at the large oak table.

Their quills scratched rhythmically for a time, without a word spoken. Indeed, the room was close to soundless until a knock at the door hinted at guests.

A turn of the brass key later, the door swung open with a creak of oil-starved hinges to reveal a motley group of aspiring thespians. The man at the front, dark hair to his shoulders and a trilby tilted over one eye, leaned against the doorpost with a disgruntled expression. His ostentatious manner of dress and features both clearly displayed his distaste for the surroundings and he entered with an imperious sniff.

The girl behind him seemed much more comfortable. She was small and willowy; her dancer’s physique made her appear graceful even while motionless. Her elegant hairstyle hinted at more upmarket origins, but she took her seat in the room with a markedly higher level of enthusiasm than the man before her.

A second girl entered. She was small in stature, but not in personality; she chattered eagerly to the taller man beside her. He, too, wore a hat tilted across his eyes but with an air of irony and amusement rather than arrogance. One may assume he was parodying the first man to enter and, with a wink to confirm this, he entered the room and took the final seat.

The meeting had begun.
♠ ♠ ♠
This bit was by Converse All Stars