The Other Sister

Infectious

I waited as patiently as I could in the dining room as they made their approach. It seemed like they were moving slowly on purpose, or maybe I was just a bit impatient. Esme stood with me, her arm around my shoulder, reassuring everything was going to be okay.

Finally the car was parked in the garage and I could hear them entering the house. Rosalie was first.

“Rose?” I heard her huff and thought she’d ignore me but I was surprised when she entered the dining room, Emmett and the rest behind her. I could hear Rosalie’s irritation in her thoughts - though there was a hint that they were directed at Edward more than me - and I almost chickened out, but Esme’s kind words were encouraging.

“I’d like to apologize to you, to all of you actually. There was no excuse for my behavior, it’s really the last thing that we need right now. It was rude and childish to say those things to you Rose, and I am very sorry. I hope you can forgive me. I hope you can all forgive me as well, for my behavior. It was unacceptable.” I stared at Rose, waiting for her reaction. I was sure she’d forgiven me, her thoughts led me in that direction, but I wasn’t sure if she’d let this go or not. I tried smiling at her, maybe it would warm her into forgiveness.

“I don’t know if you deserve it Evelyn.” She said smugly crossing her arms over her chest. I heard her mental acceptance in her mind though.

“You’ll be my favorite blonde sister, I promise.”

“Sometimes you make it too hard to stay mad at you Evelyn.” Rose grinned. Mine and Rosalie’s relationship was much different than the others. She seemed more able to joke around with me, than any of the others.

“You’re the best!” I exclaimed quickly grabbing her up into a hug. I was too ecstatic to care that I was messing up her hair. I always felt so terrible when I upset anyone, and I was a bit too extreme when they forgave me. “You all will forgive me too, I hope.” I turned to look at the rest of my family.

“Well I accept your apology Ev. Although if you really wanted to make it up to me, we could wrestle and see who wins.” His face broke out into a huge grin as his carefree attitude washed over me. I could hear the rest of them silently agree with Emmett, they too forgave me.

“I suppose I could manage that.” I grinned at him and started to make my way outside.

“Hold on Evelyn. I’d like to talk with you.” Edward spoke. I nodded and followed him to sit in front of the piano. As he began to play, Edward also started the mental conversation. Sometimes it was better if kept active instead of just standing there reading each others thoughts.

What did you mean earlier, about the girl?

About Bella. I corrected, he nodded his head lightly. She’s not…normal, or at least not what you’d expect from a seventeen year old high school girl. While you were away, I rather mentally stalked the girl. She’s rather fascinating for a human.

What does that have to do with me? He asked as I began playing along with him.

You expect her to speak to others about you, but instead you find she has not. There’s something about to happen, it’s not at all over, I don’t need Alice’s ability to see that. You must understand she’s not normal, and I mean no offense when I speak, it’s the truth. You should hear some of the things she says, and the other students are not even aware how special she is. I stopped myself, aware that I was too fond of this girl I did not know.

I suppose she has that affect on people. I nodded.

I know why you’ve come back. It’s not just because you don’t want to be a coward and run away. You feel it too. The girl is infectious, for you it’s much more than it is for me, and I think I only feel this way because of you. I’m not as in control of my ability as Jasper is, it’s much harder for me to deal with the emotional climate. But I know it‘s more than thirst, it‘s much deeper than that.

I’d like to think you’re right, but who would either idea benefit? Not the girl, obviously. Whether I was just curious or thirsty, it’s all too dangerous for her. His thoughts grew bitter after that.

Edward, I don’t-

“I’m going hunting with Carlisle.” He stopped abruptly, standing at once and leaving the room. He didn’t believe that anything good could come from this, and I was determined to see that it did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoa, two chapters in one night? I think so!!! Trying to make up for lacking there for a second.