The Other Sister

Not Even By Accident

I was almost disappointed when Edward did not come home the next day, in time to leave with us for school, but I knew his reasoning and I could not hold that against him. My eagerness would have to be put aside for the time being. When we arrived at the school, I knew he was running right behind us. Instead of waiting to talk to him I went to class, he would no doubt want to speak to Bella.

Alice will be wanting to talk to Bella now. I thought as soon as Edward took his seat in Calculus. I could hear his mental disapproval. You have to know that you can’t put it off too long… Because Alice and I are not all that patient when it comes to things like this. I smiled seeing as how he knew I was right, but hated to admit it.

I think I liked it better when you couldn’t see the future, you two are always so smug. He teased back. His mind kept wandering through the school in search of a good candidate to watch Bella through.

I’ll stop distracting you now. He smiled, and went to watching Bella.

“How soon do you think it’ll be before Edward let’s me talk to Bella? I’ve been trying to concentrate on it, but he wont make that decision.” Alice said as we sat in the car during our third period Biology class. They were doing blood typing today, so the vampires had to ditch.

“I’m not sure, I have a feeling he’s going to make us wait as long as he can. I think it worries him, the vision of Bella and you so close. He wonders how she can be so close to us and not be afraid. I tried to tell him she was different, not like most humans, but he still worries.”

“It’s not fair, this isn’t just about him. She’s going to like me, and you. He’s so overprotective.” Alice whining was always funny, she hated having to wait to get her way. I had to agree with her though, Bella would like us, not just me and Alice… Although Rosalie would be a challenge. We didn’t linger on the subject too long, we knew it wouldn’t change things.

“We should go shopping next Monday.” I had been thinking of buying a new wardrobe lately, and the sunny weather would be a perfect chance to do so.

“I like the way you think.” Alice beamed. “But where, it’ll be sunny in Seattle as well.” She was a little disappointed by the news.

“Well, I’ve been eager to go to New York…” I said nonchalantly, I saw her face break out into a grin.

“That’ll be perfect, it’ll be sunny here till Wednesday.” The bell rang then and we walked back into the school.

It was odd, during my Spanish class it seemed Bella kept turning to look at me. She had done this before, when Edward had first left, probably suspicious as to why he had left, but now it seemed there was no reason. I smiled at her, and I saw her blush immediately. I laughed to myself, human reactions were entertaining sometimes.

When I walked into the lunch room and found Edward sitting at a table alone I glared at him. He smiled at me, hearing what was really bothering me.

So you’re allowed to talk to her all you want? You know, maybe tomorrow I’ll need help with my Spanish homework. I teased as I walked by him. I could already hear Rosalie’s annoyed shouts at Edward.

You wouldn’t dare. I laughed when he thought I was serious.

Oh, Edward, don’t worry yourself, Alice and I have promised to keep a distance until you say so.

It was an entertaining lunch, and I wasn’t the only one paying attention to Edward and Bella. It seemed that many times Mike Newton was debating whether or not to interrupt Bella’s conversation. I could tell Rosalie listened lightly, making sure he didn’t further endanger our family.

As their conversation continued, I grew more and more excited. This caught Jasper’s attention.

“Is everything aright Evelyn?” He was a little perplexed why I was so enthused. What has you in such high spirits?

“Just fine Jasper.” I glanced quickly to Edward and Bella then back to Jasper. He shook his head, unable to see what was so intriguing about their conversation. I was fascinated how easily Bella interacted with Edward. All those markers clearly not setting any subconscious alarm off in her head. She wasn’t swooning dramatically over him, like most girls here. She was completely in her own.

I was beginning to understand Rosalie’s feelings. She once asked me if I was happy with being a vampire. She asked if I resented the fact that I could never have children, I’d never grow old with the one I loved. I never had thought of those things before, I never dreamed of marrying and having children, but now as I watch true love from the beginning, I wonder what it would have been like.

Poor Edward, I realized. He’s in love with this incredibly fragile human girl, who can not know what he really is. He will forever love her, and - if he has it his way - have to watch her grow old and eventually die. How heart wrenchingly depressing.

Suddenly I no longer felt the same spark of excitement. Bella was going to die, not today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually. And when she did, it was going to kill Edward, no matter the circumstances, it was going to tear him apart.

“Evelyn?” Jasper asked breaking me from my thoughts. My eyes snapped to his. I realized what must have happened.

“Sorry.” I turned my eyes back to the scenery outside. “I was just thinking…”

“About what?” He was intent on me answering the question.

“She’s going to die… and when she does… It’s just not going to be okay.” The others watched me, gauging my expression. My face was blank though, my words were nonchalant, but my thoughts were erratic.

“Do you really think Edward would kill her?” Emmett asked.

“If he did it would only be an accident.” Alice concluded.

“I didn’t mean right away, but eventually. Human’s die. That’s how its supposed to go, what do you think will happen when she’s gone?” I asked seriously.

“Don’t be so pessimistic Evelyn.” Alice chided me, she showed me the image of her and Bella with their arms wrapped around each other. Their skin equally pale and hard. Their eyes light golden and smiling like they were sisters. I don’t think she’s going to die… Not even by accident. I sighed. Maybe I was just being overly pessimistic. Edward’s stubbornness was probably rubbing off on me again.

I pledged to myself that I was not going to eavesdrop on Edward and Bella for the rest of the day. He deserved his time with her, no matter how long or how short their encounter was. I now saw that clearly, I wasn’t going to interfere with that.
♠ ♠ ♠
I need to start writing more... I can't help it though, I have major writers block... bad!