Silence Is a Virtue

Be Safe

Dinner ended, and we all sat around for a long time in the living room, talking and laughing together. I sat on one end of the large sofa, with Edward on the floor infront of me. I leant forward, my arms around his neck. Jasper and Alice sat together in the arm chair, and Emmett and Rosalie sat beside me on the sofa, their arms securely around eachother.

Edward held my hands in his, occasionally kissing my fingertips or my knuckles. Every time he touched me, Alice and Rosalie just about burst with satisfaction.

The time came for our guests to leave, sadly. Emmett was going to stay at Rose's for the night, as apparently it was Friday - in my depressed state I hadn't been keeping track of the time - and Jasper was going to stay at Alice's. They all left in pairs, pecking me on the cheek and hugging Edward as they went. It dwindled down to just Edward and I.

We stood in the doorway of the living room, holding hands shyly, not sure how to say goodbye. The notepad was in his free hand, and he was repeatedly tapping it against his leg with nerves. I looked up at him and smiled.

"Thanks for coming tonight. If you hadn't, I'm not sure where I would've ended up." I said shakily, laughing to disguise my obvious discomfort. He released my hand to write a message. He showed it to me.

It was for my benefit, too. I couldn't have coped with another day of seeing you as you were.

I grimaced.

"Sorry about that. I guess I looked pretty pathetic, huh?" I blushed. He shook his head, grinning.

Not at all. You looked like you needed someone. I'm just glad I was the person you needed.

"Who else would it be?" I giggled. He rolled his eyes and raised his hand, brushing my cheek with his icy fingertips. I blushed.

That blush is indescribeable. I adore it.

I blushed again, wrinkling my nose. He grinned again. I looked down at my feet, my heart racing. I didn't want him to leave.

"Edward?" I said, my cheeks darkening further at the thought of what I was about to ask him. He cocked his head to the side and saw the worry in my eyes, his fingers brushing my jawline comfortingly. I shivered. "Uhh... Will you..."

His eyes smoldered and he stepped closer to me, his free arm winding around my waist. He stared into my eyes, concerned. I could see the question in his eyes.

"Stay?" I whispered, my voice barely audible to my own ears. He stiffened for one second, then relaxed. His hand cupped my cheek, and he tilted my head to look up at him. I rested my hands on his chest as I gazed up into his eyes. I still couldn't decide what colour they were. He gently released me to write another message.

Not tonight, love. Carlisle expects me home. But I promise, one day. Soon.

I could feel the rejected expression that washed over my face. I sighed heavily. Edward saw the expression too, and smiled crookedly. My heart skipped a beat.

Don't think I don't want to. If I could, you know you wouldn't have to ask.

I smiled and nodded, then leant my head against his chest. He wrapped his arms around me.

"I love you." I mumbled, blushing as I said it. His arms tightened around me and he pressed a kiss to the top of my head. I knew he wanted to say it too.

"Okay, I give you permission to leave now." I looked up and stepped back, smiling up at him. He grinned and tilted my chin up, trapping it between his thumb and his forefinger. He gazed into my eyes for a long moment, then pressed a gentle kiss to my lips. It ended, too soon, and he disappeared inside the living room for a moment while I recovered. He reappeared, brushed his fingertips across my cheek once more, then left.

I wandered into the living room dizzily then spotted his notepad. I grabbed it, meaning to run outside with it, but I heard his car pull out of the driveway. I opened it out of curiousity. There was a message on the first page, a message for me. I sat down and read it, my heart pounding.

I wish I could say this to you, Bella, I really do. I've never felt the urge to say anything so strongly in my life. I love you, I truly do. I know I haven't known you for very long, and I know I barely know anything about you, but something about you, Isabella Swan, makes it impossible for me to stay away. I hope you want to be with me as much as I want to be with you. I will come over on Sunday, and we can spend the day together, if that is to your liking? I will be thinking of you, love, the whole time we are apart. Be safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is dedicated to the girls who make me want to carry this story on forever.

PATD_BLOWS_MY_MIND!! and dreamingincolour -
You two are angels. Thanks for your lovely comments : )

Comment, guys?
X