Silence Is a Virtue

Music To My Ears

Edward seemed desperate to speak to me, rather than write me a message. I placed my free hand on the side of his face, attempting to smooth the creases of effort on his forehead.

His lips were moving, a word that I couldn't quite make out, over and over again the same word. He swallowed, and tried again. His breathing was laboured, his eyes began to water.

"Don't..." I whispered, biting my lip. His pain was hurting me, too.

He shook his head and exhaled heavily, breathing my name ever so slightly. It was faint, it was shaky, but I heard it. Clearer than all of the other sounds around us.

"Bella..."

That did it for me. I burst into tears, throwing my arms around his neck with such force that I knocked him backwards. He shook with laughter slightly, burying his face in the crook of my neck, his arms around my waist.

"I love you, I love you so much." I sobbed, pressing kisses to his neck between words.

As my tears slowed and my sobs calmed, I rolled off him and lay beside him, rubbing the tear tracks from my cheeks. Edward's arm was beneath me, still tightly wrapped around my waist. He was looking at me, I could see from the corner of my eye, and I turned to face him.

He slowly reached up and touched my cheek, gently brushing away a tear I had missed. His icy touch sent shivers down my spine, and though his fingers were cold, trails of fire erupted where he had touched me.

He pulled his arm from beneath me and pulled out his notepad, writing quickly before holding it up for me to see.

I love you, sweetheart.

I beamed, my eyes watering again. I rubbed them impatiently, not wanting to ruin the moment with my pathetic tears. He smiled.

"Your voice is beautiful." I breathed, smiling. I saw a light flush cover his cheeks and he grinned. I took his hand. "Edward, promise you won't leave."

He gazed into my eyes for a long moment, then wrote another message.

Of course I won't. You are my life now.

I shifted closer to him and rested my head on his chest, my arm around his waist. He wrapped his arms tightly around my shoulders, pressing his lips to my hair.

We lay like that for hours, the trees sheltering us from the cool breeze and the sun warming our skin. I traced the lines of Edward's stomach through his shirt, marvelling at how muscular it was. Was there anything about this boy that was even vaguely imperfect?

After a long time that wasn't long enough, he gently moved me so I was sitting up, then sat up beside me.

"Time to go?" I asked. I had been expecting it, as the sun was almost touching the trees now. He nodded then stood up and held his hand out for me. He pulled me to my feet, then put his arm around my shoulders, and we walked into the forest.