‹ Prequel: The Cullen

Morning Light

Sleep Won First

“He was absolutely gorgeous, Lynn,” Harmony was still saying as we walked into my hotel room. She walked into the bedroom, plopped onto my bed, landing on her back, and sighed. Her bags were sprawled out on the floor. I guess she doesn’t care if her mom kills her anymore.

“Yeah, so?” I placed my bags in the closet and sat next to her. I sighed as well. “I thought your mom was going to kill,” I said as I smoothed her hair. She jumped almost hitting her head on the head board. She grabbed most of her bags before running out my room. “Good-bye!” I yelled after here, chuckling to myself. I heard her yell it back.

I got off the bed and straightened her left bags. I shut the door and looked at the hotel room. It wasn’t my room. I yearned for my room back home. I walked into the bathroom to take a nice hot shower. I mulled over things as the steam filled the shower. I breathed in deeply and let the heat relax my muscles. I clogged the drain with the thing and let the shower’s hot water fill the bath. I sighed as the steaming water covered my body.

I slumped back, relaxing. I thought of everyone back home. I thought of Katie, that vampire from that small village, Edward, Alice, William, my mom; everyone and anyone. It was so much to think about at once. I groaned in frustration. Stop! I told myself. I needed to relax. I settled into the back of the bathtub and laid there until the water started to get a little cold. I bathed when that happened.

I wrapped the towel tightly around me as I walked out of the bathroom. I was cold in the room, odd. I walked quietly around the room. I walked through the bedroom, the kitchen, and the front room- nothing. I looked at the thermostat; it was on sixty. I tried to higher it, but it wouldn’t work. The room was still chilly.

I picked up the phone, still in my towel, and called the front desk. It rang a few time before I heard a polite voice on the other end. “Hello, this is the front desk. How can I help you?”

“Hi, this is Ms. Ackart in room six thirty nine. It seems that my thermostat is broken. I try turning it up, but the room doesn’t heat up,” I explained

“Okay, Miss Ackart, I will send maintenance up,” the lady told me.

“Thank you.” I hung up the phone. I looked down to find me still in my towel. “Oh, crap.” I ran to the dresser. I flung open drawers left and right looking for something to put on. I wasn’t sure if pajamas were right sense the maintenance people were coming up. I put on my pajamas and a robe just in time to answer the knock at the door.

“Miss Ackart?” the man asked.

“Yes, come in,” I invited, my hair still wet.

“Do you mind if the new guy comes in too? He’s kind of an intern,” he said on broken English.

“No, not at all.” I looked around for his intern. I found him and smiled. His ‘intern’ returned it.

“What is wrong with it?” the head guy asked.

“Oh, um… the thermostat won’t work. It is set on sixty. I try pushing it up, but the air conditioner still keeps the room at sixty degrees.”

“Don’t like the cold, Miss…” the intern spoke up.

“Ackart, Miss Ackart. And yes, I do not like the cold,” I answered.

The head maintenance man headed to the kitchen, where the thermostat is. That left me and his intern alone. I smiled at him and sat on the couch, turning on the television, trying to find the English channels. I looked over at the intern and raised my eyebrows at him.

“Yes?” he said.

“Shouldn’t you be helping him?” I asked him.

“Depends, has temptation won yet?” he asked.

I laughed and looked down. I looked up to find him kneeling right in front of me. His golden brown eyes held only one secret. I smiled gently.

“Not yet,” I told him.

“You’ll know where to reach me when it does,” he winked. He got up from in front of me and walked towards the kitchen. Before disappearing, he looked back and winked. He was absolutely gorgeous.

I sighed and fell sideways onto the cushions of the couch. I just laid there listening to them argue in Italian. His voice was pure silk. The older man’s voice was rough and raspy. I had no idea what they were saying. I just liked the sound of it. I sighed and the television went out. I’m pretty sure I brushed my teeth. I don’t think my breath stinks I thought funnily to myself. I tried the remote again. No good, so I went to press the power button on the television. It didn’t work either. I checked to make sure it was plugged in. Yep. Huh?

I walked over to the still arguing men. “Hi, sorry. Um… The television shut off, and its not coming back on. Could one of you check it please.”

“I’ll do it,” the intern said. What is his name?

“Thank you,” I said as he passed me.

“No problem, did you check everything?” he asked skeptically. He must think I’m stupid.

“Yes,” I said, offended. “I pressed the power button on the television. I made sure it was plugged in. It is. I have no idea what else it could be.”

“Okay,” he responded. He checked everything I did. It was all right. He pulled the TV out and took the back off. He took the cathode-ray tube out. It was broken. “This thing went out.”

“Okay…”

He laughed, “Do you know what this is?” I nodded. “Okay, I’ll just bring you another television.”

“Oh, its okay. I have another television in the bedroom. I can just watch that.”

“It has to be fixed anyway. Other people will be staying in this room after you.” He had a point. He got up and put everything back together. He picked up the TV and started to walk out just when the older man announced he fixed the thermostat,

“Thank you,” I said. I turned to- what is his name? “I guess I’ll see you in a few minutes with a new television.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he nodded. The two men walked out of the hotel room speaking in Italian. They were laughing. I closed the door behind them.
I walked into the bedroom and plopped onto the bed. I breathed in deeply. I crawled farther up the bed towards the pillows. I rested my heads on them and closed my eyes. I was forgetting that the guy still had to bring up the television. I was about to reach sleep when there was a loud knock at the door. I got up tiredly and headed for the door. I opened it with a yawn.

“Sorry,” I apologized.

“Forgot I was coming back? I think I’m offended,” he joked. He had a beautiful laugh. I just stared at him as he walked into the room.

“Well, the good thing is that you think,” I teased.

“Ha ha. Yes I do, Lynn.” He looked up at me and smiled. I smiled back; I couldn’t help it.

“You know my name, so what is yours?” I asked him.

“Oh, sorry. My name is Luke.” I liked it. It fits him.

“Okay, Luke,” I smiled. I liked saying it. I must admit temptation is getting stronger. I wanted to blurt out yes right there and then, but he might have thought I was insane. I sighed and walked over to the couch. “You want anything to drink?”

“Oh, no thank you.” He quickly set up the TV. He was done in no time. Its not like it takes much time to set up a TV anyway. Before I knew it, he was handing me the new remote.

“Thanks,” I yawned. I was falling back on the couch.

“I’m guessing it’s passed someone’s bed time?” he teased.

I smiled groggily up at him. I yawned again, twitching my nose. I heard his laugh. I looked up at him and answered him, “Just a little. Its been a long day. My friend, Harmony, and I went to the flea market today, where she was entranced by a gorgeous man, who turned out to be a-” vampire, I almost said , “new maintenance guy at the hotel I’m staying at.”

He laughed, “So we was gorgeous?”

I blushed. I hadn’t meant to say that. I looked away and found a nice comfy pillow, which I laid my head. “Yep,” I said before shutting my eyes. I felt strong, cold arms wrap around me. I nuzzled into his chest without meaning to. I guess I was trying to get comfortable. I felt a soft coldness beneath me. It was the bed. I snuggled into it immediately. I wanted to say thank you, but my mouth wouldn’t move, so a moan came out instead. I heard his soft laughter. I felt the comforter find its way on top of me. Temptation just won, but I couldn’t let him know because sleep won first.