Sequel: The Truth Hurts Worse

Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner

Chapter 19

The soup and toast had been delicious. Luci was feeling better, though there was still a small dark cloud hanging over her. She glanced nervously towards the bathroom, then at Patrick, then again to the bathroom. Finally, Patrick sighed and looked at her.

“I won’t be offended if you need to use the bathroom, you know.” He said, taking a sip of his soda. She shook her head and sank back against the pillows.

“No… that’s not it.” She told him, rubbing her face. “Just… um. Fuck, you didn’t look in the garbage when you were in the bathroom, did you?” Patrick frowned, shaking his head. “Oh? Good… um. Fuck. Don’t.”

“Why…” Patrick asked, getting out of bed slowly. Luci looked like she was about to cry. He put the dishes on the bedside table and hurried to the bathroom. Picking up the white trash can, he was shocked to see three pregnancy tests.

“What the fuck?” He swore, carrying the trash can out. “How long have you been sick? Isn’t… isn’t it too early to tell?”

“I’ve been pretty sick for the last several days…” She began, sniffing. “So today, I, um, had Joe run out and get me those…”

“Why three separate tests?” Patrick asked, frowning. Luci just shrugged.

“Wanted to make sure.” She said. “All say they’re negative… but… it’s too early to tell right now…”

Patrick put the trash can down and went to his suitcase. Luci bit her lip. Great, he was going to stay in the other room. She was surprised when he came back with a small bag.

“Look, um. Tonight was supposed to be kind of special.” He said, setting the small bag on her lap. “That’s why Joe and Andy took you out. Pete, Katy, and I went to a jewelry store to get you something. And then I was going to take you out to a nice restaurant and have a deep, meaningful conversation with you about Katy and getting back together… and then you were sick, so I quickly changed the plans to us sitting in bed, watching television.” Luci nodded, opening the bag. “So, um, Katy helped me pick out that for you…”

Luci let out a small gasp, holding the necklace up. “Fuck! Um… fuck, I don’t know what to say.” She replied, looking at him. “Why… um, why don’t we have this deep, meaningful conversation you mentioned…”

Patrick smiled a bit and took the necklace, placing it on her. “I thought it over. And um, if you want, I’d… um, I want to get back… together, with you…” He stumbled over his words and hoped she understood him. Judging by the smile on her face, she did. “Is that a yes?”

She covered his mouth with her hand, nodding. “But now I gotta talk before we kiss or something.” Luci told him. “I want to get back together with you, but we can’t have fights anymore. There will be no more reason for them, okay? And… we can’t keep secrets from each other or even Katy. She’ll pick up that something’s wrong.”

Patrick nodded and she removed her hand. “Yea, I completely agree. The fighting is done with… and I don’t have any secrets.” He said. Luci smiled and planted a kiss on his forehead. He pouted and grabbed both her hands, pulling her close as he kissed her softly. She returned the kiss, but pushed him back suddenly, her eyes wide. Patrick was startled and looked up at her.

“SHIT!” She cried, staring at him.

“What is it?” Patrick asked, sitting up straight. Luci covered her face and gave a nervous laugh. Now Patrick was worried.

“Um, grandma said… if I got… pregnant, ever again…” Luci looked at him, looking torn between crying and laughing. “Um, that I’d have to marry the father… you know, a shotgun wedding.”

Patrick nodded slowly. “Well… if that’s the case… let’s just make sure… that there is a baby. And then we’ll make arrangements…”
♠ ♠ ♠
My friend proof reads my story, so that's why it's taking a bit longer to get things up. Hopefully folks are still hanging in there. I imagine the story will go on for several more chapters before it winds up(for now). :]