Sequel: The Truth Hurts Worse

Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner

Chapter 5

Upon entering the room, he saw that there was no one there. There was just a small pillow and blanket left on the empty couch. ‘Wonderful, I get to now play babysitter.’ Patrick thought, laying Katy on the couch. The little girl was half asleep, but jolted awake as soon as she was lying down. “Whoa, settle down.” Patrick whispered, sitting on the couch with her.

“I don’t wanna be left alone!” She whimpered, crawling into his lap. Patrick nodded, wrapping the blanket around her.

“Want me to sing you a song? Will that help you sleep?” He asked, sitting back on the couch. Katy sniffed and nodded, resting her head on his chest as she clutched her panda. Patrick thought for a moment, wondering what song to sing. When a title came to him, he smiled a bit.

“Honey is for bees, silly bear. Besides there’s jelly beans everywhere. It’s not what it seems in the land of dreams. Don’t worry your head just go to sleep.” He sang softly, looking down at the little girl. “It doesn’t matter how you feel. Life is just a Ferris wheel. It’s always up and down, don’t make a sound.”

Katy squirmed a bit on his lap as she started to doze off. She liked his voice, it was soft and soothing. She recognized his voice as the one on the CD her mamma would play for her at times. It was a mix of different songs, but it was always the same voice. Clutching her panda, her thumb went to her mouth as she finally let herself fall asleep.

“It’s not what it seems in the land of dreams. Don’t worry yourself just go to sleep.” Patrick hummed a few more notes before he finished the song. He smiled; she was fast asleep in his lap, clutching her panda as she sucked her thumb. He felt bad now, knowing he was going to have to move her off his lap in order for him to get up. There had to be a strategic way in doing this…

Before he could do anything, the door was thrown open and the overhead light was turned on. Patrick winced and covered his eyes with his arm, wondering who was crazy enough to do that. His thoughts were answered when he saw who it was.

“Oh, thank god!” Luci whispered. Her eyes were red and her cheeks were blotchy, like she had been crying. She hurried over to Patrick, looking at her daughter. “Is she okay?”

Patrick stared at her, his expression a mix of anger and utter bewilderment. Andy followed behind Luci and stopped. He saw the look on Patrick’s face, as well as the sleeping child. Quickly he moved, scooping Katy out of Patrick’s lap and leaving the room with her.

“What the hell sort of question is that?!” Patrick asked, getting to his feet. “What the hell were you thinking, leaving her in a room by herself?!” Luci stepped back, confused. “She could have gotten hurt! Or worse!”

“What are you talking about? I left her with Pete and Joe!” Luci hiccupped, rubbing her eyes. “I…fuck, I got a call and something happened, okay? Andy went with me outside so I could take a call!”

“Oh, right. Then where’s Pete and Joe? Why would they have left her alone?!” Patrick snapped. “She’s just a child, yet she’s up past midnight, walking around a strange venue on her own because she’s scared and left alone! What the hell is wrong with you?”

“Are you questioning my parenting, Patrick?” Luci asked, staring at him. Patrick gave her a funny look.

“I don’t know, I haven’t seen much coming from you.” He shot back. “But, knowing how you are, I’m not surprised.”

That had done it. Luci slapped him.

Joe and Pete had just come in, looking worried and out of breath. Patrick looked shocked, his cheek bright red and stinging. Luci looked ready to kill him.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was mostly a chapter because I LOVE the song 'Lullabye'. And thought it'd be perfect for this story in some way. :]